TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Super Moderator
14,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Mrs. Admiral retired now we're finally able to start taking long trips. Our first trip was a short 3-day ride but this one will be much longer. This will be a rolling ride report while we're on the road and today I have great www service plus it's raining so I'll get a start.
Hopefully, this will inspire others for short or long adventures of their own or for the viewing pleasure of those that aren't able to get out west.

First stop, somewhere near Caliente, Nevada.
For those of you who don't know, Mrs. Admiral is not a fan of sand. We found sand and I believe her reaction was not favorable at this point on the trail.
Plant Tire Sky Vehicle Wheel

Hope she likes rocks cause we had a lot of rock action as well.
Plant Sky Mountain Bedrock Mountainous landforms

For the first couple of weeks of the trip, Mrs. Admirals' parents came along and rode in their buggy. Hard to see but here Grandpa is getting air (against Grandma's wishes).
Plant Sky Mountain Bedrock Vehicle

Not all roads are/were passable. Along with the sand and rocks, we found a complete washout from earlier flash floods which hadn't been repaired yet. Our trip started in early October and we think the flash floods happened in September.
Bedrock Road surface Asphalt Soil Slope

Apparently, not all earlier settlers made it.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle

Cruising through Pioche, NV after lunch at the local park.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Cloud Sky

We then investigated an abandoned mine. There are a ton of old mines out west so you're bound to see a lot on your travels.
Plant Bedrock Grass Natural landscape Groundcover

This had the biggest entrance I've ever seen. From what I read on-line about this mine was that it was discovered around the late 1800s and worked on and off until the early 1980s. Zinc was the primary mineral with gold & silver as secondary minerals mined here.
World Flash photography Woody plant Font Tints and shades

Optical allusion. The mine is flooded and what you are seeing here is the water and the reflection from the top part of the mine.
Water Branch Body of water Black-and-white Flash photography

While still off the beaten path, the Delamar Mine fand Ghost Town is more of an off-road tourist-type mine destination. We saw a few small Jeep and Overlander groups.
Sky Mountain Bedrock Plant Formation

more to come.

· Super Moderator
14,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The big rock wall of part of this big processing mill site.
Sky Plant community Bedrock Plant Slope

This place was awesome with lots to see all around.
Sky Bedrock Slope Mountain Formation

Helene Cemetery near Delamar Mine. We think there is a "Delamar Cemetery" closer to Delamar but we missed it. On some maps, Helene Cemetery is indicated as Delamar Cemetery so were confused and not sure.
Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Mountain

We found some shade for lunch.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Plant

Old rock corral. After lunch, grandma & grandpa headed back to camp, and Mrs. Admiral and I did a little more 'splorin.
Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Natural landscape

The water must not taste good. We think this was the remains of a wild horse but it stunk so bad we didn't dare get to close for further investigation.
Cloud Sky Water Plant Natural landscape

A few more photos of the area around our camp.
Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree Bedrock

Our big dog Fred would love to rest in our bed but the ladder is an obstacle for him. Thank goodness to because our bed and big enough for the 3 of us!
Property Cabinetry Wood Cat Carnivore

Sunrise
Sky Cloud Plant Tree Natural landscape

Our "campfire". Don't have to worry about your cloths getting smokey! :)
Eye Organ Human Flash photography Fire

more to come.

· Super Moderator
14,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sad times.
I've mentioned this in another thread but thought I'd make a short mention of it here since it was part of this adventure.
The short story is, Roscoe, our old man dog, escaped out of our camper presumably during a thunderstorm while we were out riding. We met a local lady in town who posted our contact information and a picture of Roscoe on the local county Facebook Page in the hopes that if someone found him we'd be notified.
We looked for him for 3 days with no luck. After missing for 3 days with thought he was probably dead and decided to move on. This was not an easy decision I assure you.
Cloud Dog Carnivore Dog breed Floor

We were in the White Wash Sand Dune area near Green River and were about to move to the Moab area to meet up with the folks coming to Moab. We were still pretty down having lost Roscoe.
This was as were getting ready to leave WWSD. Fred doesn't look sad very often but it sure looked like he missed his pal, Roscoe. I've never seen Fred look so sad.
Photograph Light Working animal Snapshot Snout

...and then. Happy ending!
Just as we were leaving WWSD area, we started getting txt and voicemail messages that after 8 days of being missing, Roscoe had been found...alive! I'll admit, we both had tears of joy hearing this and we sped back to Caliente as fast as we could!
Roscoe looks very worn out as to be expected. But he was alive.
Tire Wheel Dog Automotive tire Carnivore

On day 8 of being missing, Roscoe wandered into a campground about 3/4-1 mile from our original camp spot. A couple of campers there took him in and one of them drove to town to get cell service and called us they had found him.
Dog Tire Wheel Automotive tire Carnivore

Thanks to the campers we're now a happy family again.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Collar

Boy, we were so happy.
Plant Sky Tire Plant community Dog

We're now headed back to Moab to join the group.

· Registered
23,607 Posts
You found some good adventuring in a region I've only rolled through pausing but briefly. Getting Rosoe back must have been such a relief & the bright spot of the week. He sure looks happy to be back in the pack.
Dog Light Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

· Super Moderator
14,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, and 1 more cool thing when we were in Caliente.
Passenger Train through Caliente, NV. Took a day off of riding to do chores and caught this train coming through town. Since I don't see many trains back home I thought this was neat plus it was a passenger train.

· Super Moderator
14,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You found some good adventuring in a region I've only rolled through pausing but briefly. Getting Rosoe back must have been such a relief & the bright spot of the week. He sure looks happy to be back in the pack.
View attachment 231374
You got that right! We know he's old and "that day" will come but we just didn't want it to be this was. And thankfully, it wasn't.
Thank you from one dog owner to another. I know you love your pups just as much as we love ours!

· Super Moderator
14,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad you found the hound. How was the riding in and around Caliente? Did you explore the Deep Creek Range South of Wendover at all? I know there is some cool Mines up there on the East side. Pretty rocky
We did ride quite a bit of 2-track all around the Caliente area. Pretty neat area to ride but I know there's more. The video will show it a lot better than the pictures when I get around to making videos again. I know they have a motorcycle race in the Caliente area in September but I couldn't find any tracks or maps of singletrack in the area. I saw what looked like a few "unoffical singletrack" trails but could have been from the race event however, I don't know for sure. There are also a ton of mines here we bypassed as grandma gets tired of being rocked in the buggy all day.
We've not been to the Wendover area to ride...yet but it's on the bucket list. Just maybe not now since winter is on the way.

· Registered
248 Posts
Amazing pictures Admiral. I would get lost out there in a split second. Not only that but I would be looking for rattlers every step of the way. Did you see any rattlesnakes? Have you ever been bitten by a rattlesnake? Have you ever died from a rattlesnake bite? I'll bet thats what happened to that horse. It got bit by a rattlesnake while it was getting a drink. I saw one in a glass case once. The ranger woman told me if I came across one to avoid it and make a wide turn around it and try to remember where it was on the way back. She was really really smart.

Seriously tho Admiral, glad you got Roscoe back.

· Registered
1,174 Posts
Roscoe's years of experience paid off. I can't imagine him moving fast or far. I bet if you asked him, he'd tell you he wasn't lost at all.

Oh yeah, and it looks like a nice ride.

· Super Moderator
14,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Amazing pictures Admiral. I would get lost out there in a split second. Not only that but I would be looking for rattlers every step of the way. Did you see any rattlesnakes? Have you ever been bitten by a rattlesnake? Have you ever died from a rattlesnake bite? I'll bet thats what happened to that horse. It got bit by a rattlesnake while it was getting a drink. I saw one in a glass case once. The ranger woman told me if I came across one to avoid it and make a wide turn around it and try to remember where it was on the way back. She was really really smart.

Seriously tho Admiral, glad you got Roscoe back.
No, No, and No on the rattler questions haha. I love the last question. I did see 1 Bull Snake laying across the road warming itself and it didn't even move as we rode by. In general, I think it was too cold for the snakes to be out. This whole area was thick with wild horses. We saw several different bands and when we were on foot looking for Roscoe there were "stud piles" of horse dung all over everywhere. Rattler killing a horse? Possible for sure and glad I wasn't there if that's how it went down haha.
Here was one of the first small bands of horses we saw in the area.
Plant Sky Plant community Bedrock Natural landscape

· Super Moderator
14,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Every dog should have a phone number on his cooler even if he has no phone. Glad Roscoe is home safe and sound.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Contact info on the collar sure came in handy and agree with you 100%. Took us a long time to figure out that would be a good idea but we got all the dogs collar contact info tags after our other yahoo dogs kept running around the neighborhood. And it worked for them too after getting a call from a neighbor. Fred our dog has as big of a range as Fred the rider does. :D

· Super Moderator
14,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I absolutely love this. I'm retired and waiting on the wife to retire. But we want to do the exact same stuff when we both can. Other than the dog mishap, it looks like it's been fun so far.
While full-time RV living may not be for us, we are loving our first long extended trip. If it weren't for riding with Mrs. Admiral's folks and TW friends in Moab we would have slept in a lot longer in the morning. Well, Mrs. Admiral does anyway (sleep in).
When ya'll get retired and traveling your gonna love it!

· Super Moderator
14,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Roscoe's years of experience paid off. I can't imagine him moving fast or far. I bet if you asked him, he'd tell you he wasn't lost at all.

Oh yeah, and it looks like a nice ride.
He's a house dog! I have no idea how he made it for 8 days lost with little to no food or water. Guess he lived off his reserves as he did lose a little weight.
For some reason, he doesn't leave my side now out on walks, Fred not so much! :) Plus, we secure the pups better in the camper when we go off on a ride.

· Premium Member
4,813 Posts
As a side note: when we need to leave our pup with anyone, I stop off at Walmart at their kiosk and have a dog tag printed with the address and phone number of the place he is staying. Same when we are watching others dogs at our house. I think the tags are only a couple bucks.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts