TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2003 TW;2018 KLX250 camo ; former owner of 2006 TW (retired at 23k); 19' S3, 09' F-250, 97' Cherokee
551 Posts
Thank you for sharing, Admiral.

I'm happy Roscoe returned - wow! What a joyous occasion!

I enjoyed time down around Caliente years ago, on a solo trip around Nevada. I really enjoyed rainbow canyon, and another area just north, closer to Ely, just past Cathedral Gorge state park. Neat area for sure!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I'd go full time in a heartbeat if I weren't married to a gal who wants to die in the house we built.

Oddly enough, She and I were in the middle of going full time in my bus conversion a couple of years after we married. The plan was to find a spot, work for 6 months or a year, and take 6 months or a year off. Then, at 38 years old, we realized that we could breed.

Jake was born in late 1991 and it settled me down to a 24 year career that made us rich (by our standards). We wouldn't trade him for all the stories of the road in the world.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Back in cell service for a week or so. Will update soon but until then I’ll mention we met some forum members on the road. While camped at Valley of Fire forum member “fatallybitten” I believe it was and his riding pard saw my TW and struck up a conversation. They invited Lori and I for sipping rum around their campfire that night and the next night.
Then we moved to the BLM about 15 minutes away just south of Overton NV. Made contact with forum member Bob76 who has been at the north Idaho “Russ” Lizrdbreath ride with us a few years back and a couple of Spring Moab gatherings. Good to meet up with old forum pals.
Sky Cloud Jeans Tire Smile

It’s been a great trip so far. That is once we got the camper electrical fixed. More on that once we start updates soon.
Helmet Outerwear White Eyewear Smile

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Looking forward to seeing you guys when you get to AZ!
The area we will ride is beautiful. A couple pics below.
Middle of the week is best. Weekends have A Chit load of side by sides out there.
Great news about Roscoe!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Middle of the week is best. Weekends have A Chit load of side by sides out there.
Great news about Roscoe!
We got to experience the "chit show" of crazy disrespectful riders out here over the last weekend. And you are right about the middle of the week...almost empty of people.

·
Super Moderator
14,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Fall Adventure continued. Caliente, one more day of riding.
I got ahead of myself after my last Caliente post mentioning we were heading off to the Moab area. Not so fast there Mr. Admiral I said to myself. With Mrs. Admiral's parents still in tow, our last day would take us to more historical places in and around the southern part of Caliente. Riding out of Caliente.
Water Plant Vehicle Tree Natural landscape

Don't trust the OnX-offroad map app completely! We were following the route Moapa to Caliente via Barclay road and discovered it run right along the Union Pacific RR. And I mean right alongside.
Plant Building Rural area Landscape Grass

Turns out the road is actually only a Union Pacific RR access road and they frown on one trespassing on their right of way. So we turned around and headed up a different road and discovered this cool place called TeePee Rocks.
Sky Plant Mountain Natural landscape Bedrock

Clover Schoolhouse. Should we have been able to continue on the Moapa to Caliente road alongside the RR, we would have ended up here since this was our first "destination" on the day. Instead, we took the longcut which was very scenic easy-going riding. A great dual-sport ride today.
Property Sky Plant Building Fence

Schoolhouse Rock bwahaha!
Rectangle Road surface Font Brick Groundcover

We're now gonna take the longcut to the historic Elgin Schoolhouse. But wait, there's a fire lookout along the way and we MUST go take a look see!
Plant Sky Cloud Natural landscape Tree

Ella Mtn Lookout. Great views.
Cloud Sky Plant Nature Natural landscape

Not so sure grandma is enjoying the rough ride and heights but there's no turning back now!
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Plant community

Mrs. Admiral and I sure were enjoying ourselves though!
Tire Cloud Sky Wheel Plant

...and then the road changed shape heading south from the lookout towards Elgin. This was the longest 10 miles I think I've ever ridden. It won't show up how rough it was in this photo but I assure you, it was rough.
Tire Mountain Wheel Plant Vehicle

to be continued.

·
Super Moderator
14,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Last day in Caliente continued.
As we dropped down from the lookout to Elgin it became very warm. Actually, it was hot. And then we were got very disappointed. The Elgin Schoolhouse was locked up. The only way we could see it was from this barbaric cold war era type fence. I was so disappointed that I still haven't read the information on the signs in this picture. If Clover School can be open why not this one? Probably a good reason but not for these weary TW travelers. haha
Plant Sky Plant community Ecoregion Land lot

Rainbow Canyon, time to head back to camp. I don't know if Rainbow Canyon is paved all the way (route 317) but it is from Elgin to Caliente. It was a very refreshing dual-sport paved route.
Plant Mountain Sky Vehicle Road surface

Receding floodwaters! Grandpa, you go first! As we found out on our trip, the whole southwest region had experienced heavy rains and flash floods. Rainbow Canyon was not an exception. While the road was now back open you still had to be careful as floodwaters still ran over the road in some spots.
Water Water resources Plant Fluvial landforms of streams Tree

Caliente is not just a "whistle stop" for us anymore. We highly recommend the Caliente area for some good dual-sport riding. Plan on spending a few days and soak in the historic sights. Other than our previously mentioned lost dog situation, we had a good time and plan on coming back in the future.
Train Sky Plant Rolling stock Track

Next stop...White Wash Sand Dunes near Greenriver, UT.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Enjoyed the photos, Admiral!
Some of areas I have not seen.
Circa 2009, wife and I were in a Toyota Tacoma 4WD and went through about 18" of water in Rainbow Canyon at the RR trestle.
The old school was closed then, also.
Good selection of jerky at Alien Jerky in Crystal Springs.
Side Track Cafe in Caliente is a good meal stop
East from Panaca through Modena is the back door to Cedar City.
Ecoregion Map Terrestrial plant Grass Soil

·
Registered
84 Posts
Great news about Roscoe!
Hi Donzo, can you let me know when the AZ ride with Admiral & Lori is? Where in AZ - I’m in Phoenix

·
Super Moderator
14,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi Donzo, can you let me know when the AZ ride with Admiral & Lori is? Where in AZ - I’m in Phoenix
I just sent you a text message.

·
Super Moderator
14,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Enjoyed the photos, Admiral!
Some of areas I have not seen.
Circa 2009, wife and I were in a Toyota Tacoma 4WD and went through about 18" of water in Rainbow Canyon at the RR trestle.
The old school was closed then, also.
Good selection of jerky at Alien Jerky in Crystal Springs.
Side Track Cafe in Caliente is a good meal stop
East from Panaca through Modena is the back door to Cedar City.
View attachment 231787
Yeah, we took the Panaca-Modena-Cedar City route. We even drove through the old RR town of Modena. Not a bustling town any longer but it had some very historic-looking buildings. The RR water tower is what drew us to drive through town. Gotta turn off the highways and see stuff right!

·
Super Moderator
14,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Skipping ahead in the story here.
Today we start our way home. But we did get one last short-notice ride in yesterday with forum members Donzo and TomT. I think TomT had just gotten home from a European vacation the afternoon before. TomT had to still have jet lag yesterday right?
Here is a photo Wilbur took of the four of us out on Box Canyon Trail.
L-R: TomT, Donzo, Admiral, & Mrs. Admiral
Sky Helmet Smile Luggage and bags Travel

Our outdoor cafe for lunch.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Plant community

Tricky section on the trail
Plant Sky Ecoregion Automotive tire Outdoor recreation

Box Canyon
Plant Bedrock Mountain Tree Natural landscape

Fixer upper cabin
Sky Plant Bedrock Formation Landscape

It was a great last ride for our trip with awesome TW Forum friends
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Automotive tire

And to top off a great day of riding and our trip, Donzo and his wife had us over for a wonderful dinner at their house. Donzo will have to fill you in on what the pork taco-type meat was called but I'm here to tell you it was grrreeeaaattt.

I'll be finishing this ride report when we get back to home port in a week or so. Not looking forward to the snow we have back home. I could get used to this all year snowbird riding thing.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The meat was Carnitas with all the fixings. One of my favorite dinners… and soon to be Breakfast this morning haha!
Such a fun ride with interesting terrain, and constant views. A pretty quiet day on the trails - I plan to ride this general area often
It was great to spend time with you two and Tom, repeat next year!
See you in Quartsite 👍

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
White Wash Sand Dunes
Departing Caliente with Grandma & Grandpa still in tow, we head easterly to WWSD near Greenriver, UT.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

After setting up camp, Mrs. Admiral and I take our golf cart "Kasper" out to scout the sand dunes.
Sky Tire Plant Plant community Vehicle

During our sand dune scout mission, we decide the sand dunes proper is not for the TW. We had a little fun romping around the dunes in Kasper but for the most part, we avoided the actual dunes. If you've been there or ridden in dunes before you know the TW struggles in deep sand. ...and so do I!
Sky Plant Natural landscape Sunlight Slope

Since Roscoe is AWOL at this point in the trip, things are a little subdued but we're enjoying what we can. Tonight, we'll enjoy the fire before heading out to Crystal Geiser in the morning.
Light Tire Wheel Automotive tire Cookware and bakeware

To be continued

·
Super Moderator
14,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Crystal Geiser Day.
Morning in WWSD. As usual, the animals rise early and "demand" an early morning scout trip of their own.
Tire Sky Wheel Dog Vehicle

Fred and KatyDog love chasing the critters around the rocks. Lizards maybe but I think their chasing bugs and don't know it.
Dog Carnivore Bedrock Dog breed Formation

KatyDog, grandpa's mutt.
Sky Dog Cloud Bedrock Mountain

This is just part of the Crystal Geiser Jeep Safari Trail. From our camp, the trail starts off as a nice gravel road and then...
Sky Plant Natural landscape Bedrock Landscape

...it gets a little gnarly in spots.
Brown Sky Bedrock Slope Mountain

Somebody's dreams withering away.
Sky Shade Wood Landscape Tints and shades

And here is Crystal Geiser...next to the Green River. I was expecting a little "Old Faithful" type Geiser and not a "pipe in the ground" gurgling Geiser.. Mineral deposits were cool. The trail in and out was good but the destination in my mind didn't measure up. Even the Green River here is kind of boring to look at. Glad I did it once.
Water Sky Ecoregion Plant Natural landscape

On the way back we took the Upper Salt Wash Trail which basically paralleled the road we took to Crystal Geiser.
Plant Sky Natural landscape Landscape Grass

The trail was much more fun and entertaining. Even for grandma & grandpa though grandma had a few scary to her moments! :)
Plant Sky Road surface Vehicle Natural landscape

In the end, we had a good ride and a good day.
Dusk in the desert!
Sky Natural landscape Afterglow Dusk Mountainous landforms

Tomorrow, Dubinky Well, Tombstone Butte, Secret Spire to Spring Canyon Overlook

·
Registered
482 Posts
Nice trip. I think we are going to go into Dellenbaugh Tunnel. The Needles to Secret Spire and over by Cow Freckles single-track one day this weekend. I haven't ever ridden between the Spire and the exit of the Tubes. I get a lot of my riding ideas from your write ups and videos. Many Thanks!
You should make a trip up to Montana. North of Anaconda and South of Deer Lodge. We're planning a trip up there next summer over the 4th of July. I've done a lot of map work but your first hand experience would be better.....

·
Registered
233 Posts
You should make a trip up to Montana. North of Anaconda and South of Deer Lodge. We're planning a trip up there next summer over the 4th of July. I've done a lot of map work but your first hand experience would be better.....
Did someone say Montana? I ride eastern and central Montana, Pryors, Little Belts, Beartooths and Bighorns in northern Wyoming too.

Not to hijack this great thread (which I am also taking notes on) but Bodi, maybe post in the rides section if you don't mind some company. I have read about great riding in the Anaconda Deer Lodge area but never explored it beyond the reach of my car.

Editing to add that I am based in Billings.

Sent from the demons in my head

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'll try to get something posted over there. Planning a day ride out of Deer Lodge. A day ride out of Maxville and a day ride out of Phillipsburg. The end destinations are Lakes at the very end of a jeep trail passing multiple lakes and Mining history along the way. It's all rocky country and since this trip is just me and the wife we will be in the SXS but anyone is always welcome to join. I've never been there so it's totally new country for me. I've watched a lot of videos that some preacher in the Billings 4wd club has posted and I bought a couple books on Montana jeep trails. End of my high jacking! Hopefully it sparked Mr and Mrs Admiral’s adventurous spirit to explore the area sometime.

·
Registered
1987 and 2009 TW200's
251 Posts
Crystal Geiser Day.
Morning in WWSD. As usual, the animals rise early and "demand" an early morning scout trip of their own.
View attachment 231917
Fred and KatyDog love chasing the critters around the rocks. Lizards maybe but I think their chasing bugs and don't know it.
View attachment 231918
KatyDog, grandpa's mutt.
View attachment 231923
This is just part of the Crystal Geiser Jeep Safari Trail. From our camp, the trail starts off as a nice gravel road and then...
View attachment 231924
...it gets a little gnarly in spots.
View attachment 231925
Somebody's dreams withering away.
View attachment 231926
And here is Crystal Geiser...next to the Green River. I was expecting a little "Old Faithful" type Geiser and not a "pipe in the ground" gurgling Geiser.. Mineral deposits were cool. The trail in and out was good but the destination in my mind didn't measure up. Even the Green River here is kind of boring to look at. Glad I did it once.
View attachment 231927
On the way back we took the Upper Salt Wash Trail which basically paralleled the road we took to Crystal Geiser.
View attachment 231929
The trail was much more fun and entertaining. Even for grandma & grandpa though grandma had a few scary to her moments! :)
View attachment 231928
In the end, we had a good ride and a good day.
Dusk in the desert!
View attachment 231930
Tomorrow, Dubinky Well, Tombstone Butte, Secret Spire to Spring Canyon Overlook
You guys REALLY know how to pick some great areas to ride, and I love to read your ride reports and see your super pictures!
Well done, as always!
Thank you!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts