TW200 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Nothing finer than sitting around the fire after a good ride with all these really wonderful folks.
Starting from left to right..... Hey, where did everybody go?

EDIT: We all took turns around the campfire petting Admiral's formerly shy dog Roscoe. The loving new home & friendliness by strangers at recent Group rides has given Roscoe an amazing boost of self confidence.
So much so that he has learned how to steal my booze! Roscoe has decided that an untended cocktail glass next to a campfire side chair beats any dog's watering bowl.
Haha, ghost fire with ghost riders. I'll get to the cocktail glasses at the end. I think you'll enjoy a future cocktail.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Admirals House Warming Ride Day 3 - Dry Buck/High Valley

Today we hit the "easy button" and take a nice leisurely ride through the countryside.

Even thought it's an easy ride you don't want to miss the curves in the road. View of the Payette River from Banks Grade road. Took the highway to Bank, ID, and rode up the Banks Grade towards Brownlee.

Stopped at the Brownlee Cemetery to check out the accommodations.

Few cool looking ranch buildings right along the road

I think this was the old Brownlee School but am not 100% sure on the name.

Took another break at the Pinehurst Church.

Good thing we visited the cemetery before the church just in case

Riding through High Valley Idaho

We encountered a bandit wanting to steal our lunches.

The unmasked bandit and his accomplice (Brad & Julie)

Gett'in ready to roll after lunch. Mrs. Admiral

Jeff

Fred, Eckhart, Admiral

Somewhere along the route. I think it was in the trees in the mountains but just guessing

View of the N. Fork Payette River above Smiths Ferry on Packer John Lookout rd.

This was the last day for the main group. I didn't get any single photos of Rocky who was with us so I'll post an after ride photo from the previous days ride. Rocky showed up while we were out riding that day.

Stand by for Day 4 where we ratchet up the trail difficulty rating a notch or two.

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
That High Valley sure was very pretty. Should have stopped for a pic or two of the ranch lakes. A few of the ranches had the happiest, healthiest looking horses I'ld seen in a while, must be due to the lush grasses and numerous little ponds, lakes and streams in their pasturelands. Sure beats the dehydrated wild mustangs around here.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Single Track

The two videos I took. Fred and Admiral coming into where we are going to have lunch.
At this point we have wrestled the bikes around 3 large fallen trees, ridden on a trail that was so over grown we could barely see it - I fell off the trail trying to ride on the pegs, but the overgrowth caught me and prevented me from falling down the step decent - traversed a creek and ridden through a small snow patch.

After lunch we would continue the Adventure for another 6+ hours. Luckily Fred found gas at a resort and after $36 for 6 gallons we were able to make it back to base camp.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
The two videos I took. Fred and Admiral coming into where we are going to have lunch.
At this point we have wrestled the bikes around 3 large fallen trees, ridden on a trail that was so over grown we could barely see it - I fell off the trail trying to ride on the pegs, but the overgrowth caught me and prevented me from falling down the step decent - traversed a creek and ridden through a small snow patch.

After lunch we would continue the Adventure for another 6+ hours. Luckily Fred found gas at a resort and after $36 for 6 gallons we were able to make it back to base camp.
I was so glad to see that saddle...and eat lunch! :p It was all downhill from here...on the trail.

(I'm still working on Day 4 Video Wetfoot Creek Trail, East Mtn. Way Trail, and Bear Wallow Trail). I'm trying not to rush through these videos too much just to get to Day 5 but it's hard. As awesome as day 4 was Day 5 was awesomer...and scarier...at times!:D

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
Day 5 I borrowed an SD card from Admiral and did not format it correctly thus no good imagery of us with elevated heart and respiration rates.
My camera's take ends at shortly after beginning of Peace Trail when the birds are chirping, grass is green, gorgeous valley, everything looks peachy-keen and just the most fantastic. singletrack imaginable..then things went downhill, or uphill as the valley and vegetation closed in on us. Was counting on grabbing screen shots rather than pulling out my camera so will wait for Admiral's take. What a day with so much unexpected variety, I was truly living fully that day. A great ride.:p

EDIT: Maybe just as well no video as I was using mighty inappropriate language at times that would have needed editing out. At one point trying to cross a rocky ravine with flowing water I seemed to get stuck trying to make a dogleg turn in the water full of submerged big rocks. Swearing up a storm my darn Forma Adventure Boot simply couldn't get traction off a log in the waterfall so it seemed to take forever to get unjammed and moving again. For some reason Admiral's video take showed me seemingly doing OK but I thought it was anything but the case. Trail was steep & narrow enough that there was no dabbing on the downhill side for a majority of several miles. I think the videos of arriving at the lunch summit was about 10 miles into the single track, some 35 miles from Kris & Lori's?

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
Having come across the settling dust in the aftermath of Brad's Death Wing Moment I must say I was pleased he wasn't banged up more. Upside down, facing backwards and partway up a hillside it appears his TW's stock front tire had washed out crossing the center crown on an otherwise smooth sandy two track. About 4 feet of a sliding skid across the crown seemed to initiate a bit of tumble that put Brad up the embankment. Brad's a pilot, I think he would call that maneuver an Immelmann. :p . Imelmann.png

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
That brush was just a dress rehearsal for Day 5's Peace Creek trail. Words fail to describe the thickness of the brush there in places although somewhat exaggerating superlatives like "impenetrable" and "relentless" come to mind. We'll just have to await Admiral's video to get a feel for pushing through the vegetation not really seeing the trail ahead nor confident that front tire is aimed properly. Sometimes I could see the wiggling tops over Ejfranz's bike as a guide, other times it was a leap of faith that I was not about to leap off the narrow trail.

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
Day 4, Sunday, saw us atop a peak that formerly had a fire lookout tower called East Peak, I believe. Apparently I’m supposed to write to the Director for clarification. Darn USGS monuments should have his e-mail address for a quicker response.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
Admiral’s new neighborhood sure features some pretty scenery everywhere.
“Nearby” Deadwood Reservoir was fairly large by my standards considering how low the dam was. At full pool they were releasing as much water as possible yet still there was minor flow over a spillway of questionable safety, not something the Corp ofEngineers would permit these days

Attachments

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
West Fork Wet Foot Trail - Admirals House Warming Ride Day 4

Day 4 begins...

On day 4 we start to ratchet up the riding and transition from the easier riding forest service roads to some nice free flowing trails and start with the West Fork Wet Foot Trail. Today will have 3 separate videos, West Fork Wet Foot Trail, East Mtn. Way Trail finishing with Bear Wallow Trail. Enjoy!

We start on trail 440 - West Fork Wet Foot Creek Trail

Quick check at the beginning of the trail to go review overnight riding equipment & emergency procedures. (You'll have to listen to the first part of the video to catch our dialogue referenced with the overnight ride in the area Stig and I did (accidentally) a couple years ago.

Rider break at the junction with Fools Creek single track trail. We stuck to Wet Foot trail.

Group photo (minus me) at the rest area

...and the far end of the trail. Now we take some forest service roads on up to East Mtn. Way Trail which is coming up next.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
East Mtn Way Trail - Admiral House Warming Ride Day 4

East Mtn Way Trail is always a fun ride. We even got into a little snow and made it pretty easily to the old East Mtn. Lookout. This was the second trail of the day and there's one more to ride before we head back to Fleet HQ. It's also the more difficult and longest of the 3 trails we rode on the day.

After a brief lunch the group took off down the dusty trail.

Apparently, trail maintenance personnel left behind several mounds of dust abatement for which we had to negotiate our way through.

The dust abatement, which looked eerily like snow, was just as slippery as snow

For a while it appeared the dust abatement material was getting deeper and longer

...and deeper and longer

but just as quickly as it appeared the dust abatement material disappeared as we reached the top at East Mtn. Lookout. East Mtn. Lookout was going to be a rental place to stay but a forest fire in the early 2000's burnt it down. Darn!

The trail does continue north for a few more miles but we ran into even deeper dust abatement material and started our way back to Fleet HQ...but we had one more trail to go!

So stay tuned for Bear Wallow Trail

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
Yes Sir, a person could grow mighty fond of Admiral’s Garden Valley...even if it means occasionally needing a snowblower on your roof.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
These multi-day group rides can wear a fellow out. So when I left I figured a hot spring soak would be good. The region has some good ones. I ended up in this nice bath house overlooking a scalding stream feeding a series of riverside hot pools. A change in river flow denied cooling water to the first six or seven pools. Only in the last one where there was a 50/50 mix of river snowmelt coming in from the left was the temperature not dangerously hot

Attachments

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Yes Sir, a person could grow mighty fond of Admiral’s Garden Valley...even if it means occasionally needing a snowblower on your roof.
Good eye Fred. That snowblower on the roof is not the easiest to spot...especially if you're looking at the road. haha.

I should try out a hot springs one day. This one wasn't what I had pictured of what they look like but I'm sure it's relaxing just the same.

This is more on the lines of what I was thinking based on what I've seen in the past. Natures muscle relaxer.

121 - 140 of 173 Posts