TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Admiral's Tales from the Trails

4K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  admiral 
#1 ·
Short Trailer Video

Got lots of trail video but it will take a while before I get a chance to edit/post it. I settled on making a short trailer video since I saw several signs of "The Bear" while out an about on a ride yesterday. At one point I took a break and heard a loud crunching noise in the bushes. I started yelling "get outta here" but the noise continued to get closer. Figured it wasn't a deer or elk at that point or they would have skedaddled by that point so I settled on it being a bear with all the sign I saw on the trail and what not!

#2 · (Edited)
Stay safe Amigo!
Bears are a bit active this time of year fattening up on whatever they can find. Fresh ripped up logs are not uncommon. Lately someone has been using a couple of my up-ended rail road ties as scratching posts/ territorial markers. I'll post a picture of one that is a good 6 inches shorter than a while back and liberally decorated with bear fur. Shredded creosote rich rail road tie pieces litter the ground.

#4 ·
#6 ·
I was riding a singletrack in a light rain last year and came across a ripped up flipped over log next to dry ground where it had been likely minutes ago...I surmised my approaching engine noises had just interrupted a bear's foraging for grubs. Usually we get few clues as to the critters out there who see and hear us as we go merrily by.

#13 ·
Trail Tales Blue Bunny Hippty Hops Down Trail 613

Fun, overgrown and rarely used ATV trail. Overgrown so much it was more like a singletrack in places.

Blue Bunny wanted to go for a hippty hop so I took it out

Last fall I started this from below and ran into a little creek action so turned back. This year I decided to come down from the top.

We ran into a couple obstacles along the way

But nothing we couldn't overcome, Hippty Hop over the log.

This is the washout I turned around at last fall. It would have been better to come from last falls direction. This little washout had a steep embankment with just this one skinny little part for me and Blue Bunny to try and escape from the turbulent water.

But we made it though I did struggle just a bit.

Blue Bunny likes the woods

...and the hills

Stayed tuned for the next Admiral's Tales from the Trails Adventure.

#22 ·
Fun, overgrown and rarely used
Blue Bunny wanted to go for a hippty hop so I took it out

Stayed tuned for the next Admiral's Tales from the Trails Adventure.
i just wonder if wilbur and the sandy dragon get jealous when you go chasing tail... i mean... trail, with the blue bunny??

great stuff as always sir.

#14 ·
I love your videos, Admiral! it’s such a nice change from the heavy metal and techno you hear with a lot of bike videos.

I’m always wondering what the next classic genre will be in the next video... Big band? Jazz? A little classical? Maybe some opera? Lol

Totally not a jab at the music either, I grew up on Glen Miller and Count Basie.

#16 ·
Thanks for watching...and listening haha. I use the full spectrum of music genres when adding the jingles to my videos. I try to either energize the video with the music or theme matching. In this last one I thought the bunny hop was complimentary to the theme. Granted, not everyone will know what the bunny hop is. Just like my weird humor, I try to keep folks guessing on any jingle music.

P.S. I retired from Ft. Lewis. It was my first and last places of duty in my military career. A lot had changed in the place in 27 years. Oofta!

#17 ·
No doubt I've come to love the ATV tire/trail relationship but was too lazy to switch ATV tires from Scoob to Bunny. I was a little nervous when trying to climb out of the creek bed but climbed out much easier than I thought. Probably would have been easier with the Cerros or Duro but in the end the stocker didn't spin too much.

I have to do a little trail clearing but this trail is on next years trail roster for sure.

P.S. I was and still am using 14/47 gearing. Not as bad on the mild trails as I thought. Not sure I'd be so successful on Peace Creek trail with this gearing though.

#18 ·
You are an admirable inspiration to us all to just get out there and enjoy these little beasties whenever possible.
Now I am torn between having fun riding with Adam again tomorrow or instead clearing brush on some of my trails in the coolness of the morning.

#19 ·
Do both.:p

Not to persuade you one way or the other but yesterday I started clearing a local trail. I was getting tired of getting whacked in the face so I took out my machete and cut'em to pieces. I was conducting my swashbuckling practice again. I gotta get the chainsaw running...quick!

I saw the video of you and Adam going down the singletrack. I think it was the same trail as your singletrackery wasn't it? But I can't find it again here on the forum so couldn't make a comment. Anyway, it looks very "downhillish" to me. Only because I don't want to ruin my pristine legs but I couldn't ride in shorts. I might skin my knee 'er sump'in like that. Adams got guts to ride in shorts that's for sure.

#20 ·
Good eye Admiral! Same downhill trail but this time on Betty Boop and following Adam. This trail short-cuts the logging roads Lori & you took from fire lookout tower to lake bed bottom where Lori scared the poor innocent snake.

And yes, shall do both tomorrow. Adam volunteered to helps me clear some brush so we can then go ride. Will have him set choker around brush base then I'll tug out of road margin & ditches with tractor. Otherwise if I just cut with saw it grows back leaning into the available sunlight in the road bed again. Extraction gives lasting satisfaction.

#21 ·
Sorry for hi-jack but I'm with Admiral about not wearing shorts.
For example Adam at the 3 minute mark above gets a minor stabby. Not too much blood, would have been nothing had he been wearing long pants. :p
Thinking we better at least clean it off before scarring his new wife we discovered that what I initially thought was a flap of skin was instead a piece of the sapling stuck in him and partially hanging out.
He pulled it out, finished the first aid & off we rode.

Reactions: admiral
#25 ·
Trail Tales in the 622 - Squirrel's Day Out Trail #1

Went for a day ride on TW's grandpa, grandpa XT.

Started out the day exploring various trails in old mining areas. Fun trails too. Watch out for bear scat!

Found a trail

But which way should I go?

So I did both ways. Take a right and you go to an old mine. Go left and you find rocks

Stay Tuned for more trail tales.

#28 · (Edited)
Q: Is Grandpa developing incontinence issues?
A: Depends

View attachment 198110
Looks like another fine Indian Summer ride. Glad you could get out and explore while weather still nice. Bet it up to 40 degrees colder today.
This ride was over a month ago, so no Indian Summer riding yet. Right now we have the cold and wet weather everyone out west seems to be getting. I still have video of riding this spring I haven’t got done editing yet so I’ll be posting rides from spring. Catching up now since we’re starting to get yucky weather.

Grandpas “leaky drawers” was the front sprocket shaft oil seal damage. Glad I didn’t totally run out of oil as the seal let go while out riding. I didn’t notice until I saw the oil on the deck.

#27 ·
Reporter: So Mr. Sanders, do you prefer boxers or briefs?
Mr. Sanders: Depends...

Great pix & vids!
And now we know for sure...a Bear really *does* shit in the woods!

Reactions: admiral
#29 ·
Although I’m pretty sure I heard a bear later in the day (upcoming video) I’m darn sure glad i didn’t see one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.