TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With an ailing engine, a few fellow TW riders offered up some help with my request for a replacement engine. Hauled the TW down to Fred's place, and with the engine from Evan, we went to work. After the transplant was complete, well, we have to test it of course! I really want to thank the hospitality of Fred and his wife for providing me with hot meals, cool drinks and a warm place to sleep. And to Evan for offering me the donor engine. And to both of these guys helping put it in. And least I forget, we had a great place to test ride. I'm back in the saddle again. I'd also like to thank all the others for their technical advice. Without it we'd have been scratching our heads at times! Salute!

Oh, I almost forgot. I also got to meet and ride with Adam. Great guys all!

·
Registered
195 Posts
First, YAY! I'm glad to hear you're back in the saddle. :)
Second, THANK YOU! For sharing an excellent video. Very relaxing to watch at work. ;)
Third... man, I just can't wait until I can get mine off road onto some REAL trails like that!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
More pics of engine transplant operation.....

Here are some more pics of engine install. Admiral really did most of the work, while me and Fred gave advice, looked for tools and gave moral support. The only reason we weren't drinking beer and giving bad advice is we knew we would be riding soon....:p

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi Admiral;

I was glad to hear how well the replacement engine is running. Those California and Nevada kids are real.

Your new camera sure does a good job and as usual, your editing is top notch.

When things get down to being mellow at your place, we should make a run down to Wee's bar to see the Petroglyphs. The route I go should be good for Lorie to make too.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First, YAY! I'm glad to hear you're back in the saddle. :)
Second, THANK YOU! For sharing an excellent video. Very relaxing to watch at work. ;)
Third... man, I just can't wait until I can get mine off road onto some REAL trails like that!
I have embraced "mild" trail riding. And by mild, I mean there ain't no steep cliff off to one side! I scared of heights!:p But this was great trail riding. I also don't mind a leisurely cruise on some of the country roads too! I'll try an do my part in encouraging your future off-road experience!:D

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
incredible support, awesome forum/community.
You got that right. I received more support and help than I could ever have imagined! I hope to give back when I can to help contribute to this forum.

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are some more pics of engine install. Admiral really did most of the work, while me and Fred gave advice, looked for tools and gave moral support. The only reason we weren't drinking beer and giving bad advice is we knew we would be riding soon....:p
I was way to focused on getting the TW up and running cause I wanted to go ride those trails pretty bad! I only took 1 picture and I can't find the camera for that one!

Glad you got a picture of the TW engineless and the improvised "work stand".

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That engine sounds really really good! And the camera took great video. Looks like a fantastic place to ride too. What a great weekend.
Runs just as good as it sounds. Only thing we did to the engine after putting it in, was adding the oil. Last night I check the valve's, within specs, and cleaned the air filter. Fred and Adam stirred up all kinds of dust for those of us in the back!:p Happy happy me!

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Admiral;

I was glad to hear how well the replacement engine is running. Those California and Nevada kids are real.

Your new camera sure does a good job and as usual, your editing is top notch.

When things get down to being mellow at your place, we should make a run down to Wee's bar to see the Petroglyphs. The route I go should be good for Lorie to make too.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise
I keep meeting all these "real people" from the forum.

So, maybe and after work ride next week to the Wee Bar? I'll call it a scout ride for when I go back with Lori with the ATV or Mules.

This weekend I'm attempting to put in some new windows in the house and other catch up things I put on hold for my Verdi trip.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Good to hear valves were in spec. Have you changed the oil again and cleaned oil filter?

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No oil change yet. After riding around here and parking the TW in the garage, I noticed a drop or two of oil coming from the output shaft area. I order the seals and when they come in and I have to remove the side cover, I was gonna change the oil at that time. Looking in the site glass yesterday, oil level was good and the oil was still new looking (not dark). Who knows how long the engine sat not running, but it sure runs great as far as I can tell.:D

When I cleaned my air filter, I could tell there was a little more zip in the throttle. Pretty sure my filter was fairly dirty when I can down to Verdi with it. All good now.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
When you replace the seals check the neutral safety switch -- when I replaced my seals I didn't and I had to go back because it was leaking too.

I know you posted the model of your camera somewhere but rather than me looking for it can you re post it here? Thanks.

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good reminder. I remembered you had to do that and ordered the switch as well.

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
That was a wonderful video you made Admiral, really nice editing. I had forgotten already all the fun places we rolled through, great stuff. It was really a blast to be part of this little wrench and ride especially since things worked out so well mechanically. Even if evan's motor went clunka-clunka it would have been worth it just for us all to get together.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts