TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the gas tank off my BMW R1200GS Adv today, so I thought I'd see how well it fit on my T-Dub.

Hey, it could work.

Chris

·
Registered
258 Posts
If I had an old TW200 tank I'd slice it down the sides vertically with a cutter and weld in 2" of plate steel. The shape would be the same but it would be four inches wider giving at least another 5 litres by my estimation. It would have the same side profile and frankly is too skinny as it is.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
If I had an old TW200 tank I'd slice it down the sides vertically with a cutter and weld in 2" of plate steel. The shape would be the same but it would be four inches wider giving at least another 5 litres by my estimation. It would have the same side profile and frankly is too skinny as it is.

You could cut it into thirds by cutting on both sides of the cap and inserting two inches or so on both sides. That would definitely work but would take some time. Could be a fun project if you could find a cheap tank. It wouldnt matter if it was dented because you can work those out while it is split. If I ever run across a cheap tank I may pursue this option.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I split the sides off my spare tank and was going to expand it, but it was so rusty inside it ended up in the scrap pile.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Ben Parry expanded a stock tank. Maybe search the archives?

·
Registered
2,667 Posts

I got a stock tank from my 2000 that looks like it was Bondo'd. It was leaking when I went to see the bike before I bought it from the previous owner so I had him replace the tank with a Clarke. It would be perfect to cut up. If you're interested let me know and I'll take a few pictures.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts

It's been done. I saw the pix in a thread on the old forum.

It worked great!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hopefully the Yamaha design team is watching this post .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts