TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks!, I can introduce you to the builder, I just ground the welds and held the dumb end of the tape on this one.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Nice job! Looks awesome, and I like the video, too. Now you need to take it on a shakedown cruise!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I put 30 miles on it yesterday, today I'll drag it around and show it off, I Can't wait to actually use it on a camping trip.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you! I'm a One man Caravan :D.

Some better finished trailer pic's,
You can go with this,

Or you can go with that,

·
Registered
503 Posts
nice work r80rt. I've always admired your work. TIM

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you Tim, that means a lot coming from a real craftsman. My buddy did the big end if the build, I was mostly in the way. I'm really happy with the way this came out, ya never know with this type of thing.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Very nice!!! I was going to ask about trailers.... and I saw this.

Does that hook-up allow for the bike to lean? I guess it does, but I don't see how... I'd think a ball joint would be better? Also - looks over-built and heavy. Not trying to be critical because I don't have the skills to make one myself! Just looking at the 1/4" steel and such. Seems one with an aluminum basket would be lighter and do fine?

Again, very cool and I appreciate you posting this! I was wondering why nobody makes a comercial one.... same as a extra size metal fuel tank that has the correct mounting dimensions.... I bet they'd both sell pretty darned well.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thank you! It's intentionally over built to be used on rough dirt roads and built to last. Aluminum might be a better choice but we used what I could get locally and had the equipment to work it with. I don't think a ball hitch would be any better but it would be heavy. The floor is a tough plastic, it looks like steel but it's light. We built it as strong as possible and as light as possible with the material at hand. Everything is a trade off and I think we made the right trades. The bike leans very well. We built it low as possible so it would have less leverage to push the bike, and I'm very happy with the way it tows on gravel.
The trailer weigh's 35lbs, my camping gear weigh's 18lbs and the rotopax can full of gas with mount is 9lbs, for a combined total of 62lbs, not to bad.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Is there a joint between the trailer and bike for up/down? I'd worry about riding up steep incline from flat if there isn't one.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hang on, I'll take some pictures.
Up and down, side to side, it's all built in:D

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Maybe these pic's will help explain how it works.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Nice, I didn't notice the joint there. Very adventure ready indeed.

When I drove across canada I saw a fair amount of people doing these long trips as well. I saw quite a few standard style two wheel trailers on bikes and I only recall one that was this style. Which I find weird as I imagine this one wheel style would feel much more comfortable driving with. If I had the skills to do this I would seriously consider building one for long trips.

PS. Im still jealous of your xt225 tank, I think I've just gotten my hands on the same tank, 07? I'll know later this week.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The single wheel does pull and track better than a two wheel type. Yeah my tank is a '07, you'll love the extra range, Post pic's.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I gave the little trailer a good work out today. For a test I loaded it up with all my camping gear and took it down several miles of abandoned, steep, rocky, washed out road. I can't imagine that I'll ever have a need to put it in such a rough place, but I thought it would make a good proving ground. I'm happy to say I had no difficulty pulling it through there, so I turned around and pulled it back the same way. Like the idiot that i am I forgot to take a camera, but I couldn't take pictures of myself anyway. I'll go back with some help and a camera.
:D

1 - 20 of 65 Posts