TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I few years ago, I bought a stock 2006 TW200 and turned it into one of the coolest T-Dubs ever. It was my daily driver, urban commuter, and fully equipped adventure bike. After clocking 21,000 miles on her, I put her on the block, but could not find anyone to adopt my baby. Her urban conspicuity red and yellow reflective cover, and adventure upgrades were just too odd for the market. So I returned her to near stock form, removed most of the adventure mods, and sent her to a new home. I have that gear, so you can adventurize your t-Dub!

The first thing you’re going to need is larger fuel capacity. How about a Clarke 4.5 Gallon tank designed for the XT350? It fits on your T-Dub. Just needs a rear mount bracket (I made it, it’s included). Since it’s clear in color, you can see the fuel level read on the accurate gauge drawn on the left side. Range baby, go long!
However, with this tank the stock seat doesn’t fit. I took a stock seat, modified the seat pan, reshaped the foam to give it a tractor shape, inserted a gel pad and installed a custom-sewn vinyl cover. My riding buddies call it “The Couch.” All day comfort. Perfect fit.
With this tank/seat combo, you’ll have more range than anyone else. You may consider a quick release fuel line, since you could (as I have) share your fuel in a pinch.
IMG_2172.JPG

Next you’re going to need cargo capacity. How about soft panniers and an aluminum topbox?
I took a Cycleracks rear rack and mounted my Micatech Medium Topbox on it’s quick-release mounting plate. Then I welded on side struts and buckle loops to fits my Wolfman Expedition bags (bags NOT included). On the muffler side I added an extra strut to keep the gear from pressing on the exhaust. Since I was riding daily in urban traffic I added full auxiliary brake, turn signal and running lights to the rear of the box, as well as a 12-volt charging socket inside. This quick connects with a standard trailer socket, should you wish to wire it into your bike. Time to remove or mount the box: one minute. And the box locks. Cargo loops on the box lid allow securing more gear, and most important, a beverage opener is mounted to the box for critical camp purposes. A tool tube with watertight stopper mounts to the rear of the rack with hose clamps. I carried a fire extinguisher and full length tire irons in the tube. Sold
IMG_2162.JPG

If you fully load the T-Dub with rear cargo, you may find the front end to be very light, maybe even a little head shake at freeway speeds. A matching front rack is made by CycleRacks, but cargo blocks the headlight. The solution here was a custom welded mod that supports a high-mount Hella 500 fog light. Wired into your high beam circuit, you can choose between stock headlight and high-mount. Then a military surplus first-aid box zip ties to the rack, just below the light, and a load of tools or other cargo balances out the bike. An unexpected benefit of mounting this mass forward of the forks, is it creates a long moment-arm that significantly quiets the front end on rough terrain. I call it the “Poor Man’s Steering Stabilizer.” Sold
IMG_2164.JPG

No adventure bike would be complete without underbelly protection. The Ricochet version out of Utah is bulletproof, and my well used and freshly brushed example has a rugged patina of miles of gravel and flying rocks. The two bottom mounting bolts are new, as they reside in harm’s way. The plate is otherwise perfect. Sold
IMG_2167.JPG

While you’re pushing the wind on the highway portion of your adventure you’ll want some relief. The diminutive and brilliantly design Jimbo windshield is surprising effective in offering some relief to both wind and rain (I’m in Seattle, riding year around, trust me on this one). My example is well scratched and far from pristine, but not cracked or compromised in any way. It would look great with a light sanding all over, giving it a frosted look. WINDSHIELD IS SOLD

Photo in Dropbox link

Since you will be standing at times, and the ergs of the T-Dub are more designed for sitting, you may wish to add handle bar risers. The Rox risers are perfect, no issues with control hose cables or wires for mounting. Plus one of the mounting bolts is a ram ball for your GPS mounts. 7/8 x 7/8 x 2”rise. Sold

Photo in Dropbox link

Finally, when riding on mixed gravel and single track, you may want to adjust one mirror for sitting, and one for standing. Or in tight woods you may want to fold your mirrors into a safe center place. My Doubletake mirrors come with 3 ½” long ram extensions, and ram balls that fit left and right Yamaha mounting holes. Also comes with Ram wing tighteners and higher security cap-head bolts. Sold

IMG_2116.JPG

Since only five images are allowed on each post in this forum, here are 29 images of these items and the bike in adventure trim:

Dropbox Link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/22jfbgnnygtrmuy/AABQTzRpClw7_YUw7pVjqAY8a?oref=e&n=120087269

I am negotiable on price and sets. My first choice would be to find a single buyer for everything and may wait a bit for that person to surface. The tank and seat go as a set. The topbox and racks go as a set, though I would sell the front rack alone. The windshield, skid plate, risers and mirrors can go alone.

Local pick-up in Seattle is highly preferred, but buyer pays for shipping.

My work to execute the mods is my hobby, so that’s a value for you. I don’t know how to price the seat, since my materials cost was almost nil and my wife (she’s a licensed pattern-maker) made the cover in 90 minutes…. I’m thinking about half of retail for these items.

Here’s what I paid, make me an offer:

Sold $229 Clarke Tank XT350 (84-03) 4.0 gal. [11319] - $229.00 : Clarke Manufacturing, Master of Plastic Fuel Tanks
Sold $199 CycleRacks Rear Rack http://cycleracks.com/ProductDetail/tabid/87/ProductID/13/Default.aspx
Sold $395 Micatech Medium Topbox Top Cases | Micatech Motorcycle Luggage
Sold $159 CycleRacks Front Rack https://cycleracks.com/ProductDetail/tabid/87/ProductID/4/Default.aspx
Sold $36 Hella 500 Fog Lamp http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-00575097.../dp/B002MOAHCI
Sold $95 Ricochet Skid Plate Yamaha TW200 Aluminum Skid Plate | Ricochet Off-Road
Sold $97 Rox Handle Bar Risers Pivoting Risers 2"x7/8"x7/8" Black Anodized
Sold $96 Doubletake mirrors Doubletake Mirror
SOLD $56 Jimbo Windshield http://tw200forum.com/forum/tw200-classifieds/171-jimbo-c-windshield-info.html

Thanks.
-Bill

·
Registered
809 Posts
On my phone right now and suck at thumb typing but am interested and will follow up

·
Registered
818 Posts
if you dont sell as a bundle to one of the fellas above me I want that skid plate. Thanks.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Ok, finally able to get on the PC. Im interested in the front and rear racks with boxes, tank, seat and skid plate. Ill PM you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I might be interested in the tank/seat. Any issues I should know about, handlebars hitting, anything like that? My bike is mostly stock

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
this has to be the most entertaining and interesting classifieds post I've seen in a long time! Awesome goodies!!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
And the most expensive. I wasnt planing on buying stuff like that for awhile :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes,
The tank is designed to fit the XT350, so in order to work on the TW200, you need a pair of 1/4 inch blocks in the aft end of the front puck slots to keep the tank 1/4 inch rearward. I used little crescents cut from rubber floor mat. (lost em, you'll need to make your own) This allows enough room for the bars to clear the front shoulders of the tank. In this position, the bars just touch the tank in handlebar lock position. Now, I was running 2" Rox handlebar risers, and pro-taper High-ATV bars, so I can not say definitively that this bar tank clearance will be issue-free in your application. I dropped my T-Dub several of times on technical single track and never had any issue. I have no idea if the tank ever touched the ground, but not a single scrape indentation, or other wise. These Clarke tanks are stout.
The rear mount for this tank is about an inch further rearward, and I fabricated a bracket for that mount. It is included with the tank. And your stock seat absolutely will not fit with this tank, hence the tank-seat combo. In my case I took a stock seat pan, modified the front end significantly, added foam for a rounded seat shape and inserted a gel-pad under the butt. Then I finished with a custom fit seat cover. The seat is extremely comfortable, mounts with the stock 10mm bolts under the subframe, and you can ride it all day. "The Couch." I have a couple of inquires on this set so far.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, it's all sold.
Thank you all for your guidance and inspiration. You ride one of the coolest bikes on the planet. I will always treasure the 21k miles I enjoyed on the Mighty T-Dub!!
DSCF4608.jpg

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have a manracks on the back. I already have a huge waterproof duffle for camping, etc. But I'm looking for a smaller bag to strap on for daily riding to carry stuff, tools, etc. Would prefer something with straps built in instead of bungies, rok straps, etc. But I also thought of bolting on a plastic camera case. Any ideas?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts