TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for any advice that all you experienced TDub owners out there can lend to a totally new rider/owner. I just got a 2017 with 104 miles and I'm excited to start riding. I live in the city, but my plan is to get it out to my mom's farm where I can learn to ride and then eventually bring it back and use it as my daily commuter around town.

The bike already had a stronger skid plate, bigger foot pegs, rear rack, and an auto-clutch - any other accessories/upgrades I should think about at the beginning?

What kind of tools/maintenance items should I start collecting? Are there any good kits that anyone recommends that will include most of what I'll need to do basic maintenance? Any advice on starting to do my own simple maintenance (other than watching LOTS of youtube videos)?

Already got pants, jacket, and helmet - just need to get gloves and boots - anything else?

Anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks all for your wisdom and I'm excited to join the club!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Take one of the motorcycle riding courses.
As for tools start with some metric spanners, a metric socket set and 2 torque wrenches. 1 with lower torques ranges and 1 with higher torque ranges.
Feeler gauges for valves and spark plugs.
A set of tire irons to remove the death wing if still on the front and replace with a good trials tire.

Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's an EFM auto clutch. It wasn't something I was looking for, but it was already included/installed on the bike. I figure it'll make it a bit easier to learn at first, but I've got the original as well so may end up switching it out after a while.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would say just welcome now go ride and enjoy, but being a new rider I would definitely suggest rider training, and if your budget allows some off road skill courses but they are few in some locations. Upgrade to O-ring chain and change the rear sprocket if you find the stock gearing to low. A brighter light and louder horn may be advisable for city riding. Keep your eyes on your '6' when slowing to stops and stopped in traffic.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
It's an EFM auto clutch. It wasn't something I was looking for, but it was already included/installed on the bike. I figure it'll make it a bit easier to learn at first, but I've got the original as well so may end up switching it out after a while.
Welcome to you from NY. Yes, I would swap that out before you learn to ride with it/get used to it. Like developing a bad golf swing on a TW.
For the life of me if there ever was a motorcycle that didn't need something like that it would be a TW200 and I have never heard of one on a TW either until now. Person you bought it from have arthritis, carpel, hand disability maybe. It has one of the softest and subtle stock clutches of any bike I have ever owed.

Go have fun, ride safe & happy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts