TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Looking for some advice on buying a tw200. First I will say I have not ridden a bike in years, so currently my experience level is low.

I'm an avid outdoorsman and also spend a lot of time traveling in a 31' motorhome. I was lead to the tw200 by some other RVers that I ran into on some of my travels. I was considering an ATV but do not like the fact that they are not street legal.

So, looking for some advice here. This bike will be used 99% of the time on forest service roads to get to walk in trail head areas. I would on occasion need to be able to haul some stuff on my back or on a rack and possibly on occasion need to head into town to pick up some supplies (milk, eggs, etc) I spent two weeks in Colorado this year and the roads were brutal on the small SUV I used to get around (I pull it behind the RV). I would use the bike as a replacement for the small SUV.

I found a local guy selling a 08 with 500 miles on it for a good price. Is this the right bike for me? What do I need to know? Am I way off base here thinking this will be a good complement to my RVing and Outdoor excursions?

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
Yes, it's the right bike. Hands down. I'm an avid camper, pulled tent trailers, truck camper, and now a small fifth wheel down many forest service roads. When the kids are gone, we are going back to a truck camper and will pull the TW on a utility trailer. Currently, I carry a CT70 on the front bumper of the truck, since I cannot bring my TW with me - it's okay but not as comfortable or easy to ride as the TW. The TW was made for what you descibe.
I also had not ridden a bike in 18years before getting my TW, it's easy to ride, very forgiving with the fat rear tire. Don't sweat it another minute, go get that TW!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would recommend using a backpack for groceries on rough roads. As long as you can fit enough food in a backpack your ok there. It is a motorcycle so if it rains your going to get wet running errands. The last thing to consider is your bikes security. If you are leaving it at isolated trailheads two guys with a pickup can steal it pretty easy.

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
Good point on the trail head security Brad Lamar. I picked up on that too, so squid you may want to look at security...no matter what kind of motorcycle or ATV you decide on.

As far as transporting a TW200 behind an RV you shouldn't have any problems. There is really good information in a forum discussion called "How do you transport your TW" or something like that in the General Discussion Thread.

Since you mentioned a 2008 model with low miles, I would assume you would be getting a pretty mechanically sound TW so maintenance shouldn't be an issue. The TW itself is pretty easy to maintain. I do most of my own maintenance and downloaded the manuals for the TW from this website and they guide the basic mechanically inclined person fairly well.

Also the TW is easy to ride and fairly light weight, so this should be a plus when getting back into motorcycle riding. There is also a good discussion forum thread on what kind of cargo trunk to use, which would be helpful for your errands. There are also plenty of options when it comes to rear cargo type racks. Lots of folks like myself have the "cycle-rack". Mine was purchased and put on by the dealer when I bought the TW. It's hard to see in my avatar, but you can see the type of cargo I carry on this rack. There are smaller racks available, and I believe I have read threads on folks who have made their own.

If you bought a TW, you would not be disappointed per your requirements and needs.

P.S. The TW also has a fairly low seat height which is a plus for many of us old folks (guys and gals), making it easier to throw our leg over. Good luck and if you decide to purchase a TW, don't forget this forum for its good advice, and travel adventures.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Squid, I had no problem loading my tw200 onto the hitch rack on the back of my motorhome (not as long as yours but . . .it still had to miss the ladder (no problem). The bike is light enough to do a one man load if you have the straps laid out right or with a 1.5 person load to just get a push up the ramp. Trailwise its a wonderful machine. Compared to skinny tired dirt bikes, the tw does not need to spin to get through the tough stuff, it just keeps the rpms and rides on top. Its a good machine and performs best at speeds of 55 mph or less. You can thrash it a bit to stay ahead of traffic when needed but thats not when the rider or the bike are happiest. I've put 5000 miles on my tw, 90% of which is trail, two track, or rough back country trail riding. Best fun you can have for the cost of a gallon of gas. Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, thanks for the quick replies. I would look at a front mount hitch, a rear mount hitch and also my existing utility trailer as possible modes of transportation on the RV. I may in some instances want to take both the SUV and TW so the front mount hitch options intrigue me.

As for the actual TW I am looking at it is a 2007 with 492 miles on it. One owner and kept inside. The bike is pretty much like new. Asking price is 2500, but figured I would start out offering 1900 cash and see where I end up.

Picture of TW200

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
Looks like a great bike. Good luck on the negotiations.

I would strongly advise against putting a TW on the front - I have 1 ton Dodge, with a front hitch that carries my CT70. The TW is 280lbs, my CT70 is 150lbs. The CT70 changes the handling characteristics of my truck - I wouldn't go any heavier on the front. I doubt your motorhome is spec'd to have a snowplow on the front, whereas my 1 ton is, and I wouldn't put a TW on the front. The front hitch it 50lbs and the carrier is about 80lbs (homemade). That significant weight on the front.

I assume you tow your SUV, can you put a rear hitch on the SUV and carry the TW on the back of the SUV?

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
Here you go (this is new to me, very cool - not cheap though - hold on to your shorts before you click the link):

RV Motorcycle carrier

·
Registered
231 Posts
its a worthy bike for what you want. im an avid camper and use my TW on trips. i haul everything on the bike dump the gear at a site then go pick up and haul firewood, gallons of water whatever else i need back to the site. with a cycleracks rear rack this bike is amazing. it spreads the load out and keeps it lower which keeps it from piling up on the seat behind me. its a great bike for backroads and city streets just not highway use. offroad it handles better than any other dual purpose bike ive tried. its light, gets great traction, and is geared very low. i have the inate ability to spin the tire in loose gravel but thats the only substance i have trouble with this bike in. i say get it. and get it soon because youre missing out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vuldub, the dynamics on a RV are much more different than that of a truck. My RV can handle about 500lbs on the front. Reason being is that since it is so long, it tends to get tail heavy due to the weigh distribution. The backend is only rated for 350lbs. and will take modification to make it work. (I'd have to get more weight to the front of the RV onto the front axle, which can be difficult)

I'd really like to put it on the back of the SUV, but it is a pretty wimpy SUV. Honda CRV.

I'll worry more about how I am going to transport it after I get it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts