TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody replaced their tank with the new higher capacity acerbis or clark tanks? My stock tank is beyond salvage for my time and dollar. I like the idea of having a polyurethane tank instead of the stock metal ones(rust being the problem for everything in the northeast)
I have a 1987 TW200 All stock; no mods as of now but planning on having it be my main mode of transport when there isnt snow.
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated as i am new to bikes
thanks all

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Has anybody replaced their tank with the new higher capacity acerbis or clark tanks? My stock tank is beyond salvage for my time and dollar. I like the idea of having a polyurethane tank instead of the stock metal ones(rust being the problem for everything in the northeast)
I have a 1987 TW200 All stock; no mods as of now but planning on having it be my main mode of transport when there isnt snow.
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated as i am new to bikes
thanks all
If you do this could I have your old metal tank? I have a idea for removing the rust. Cheaply and easily, if it works would help a lot of people. I'd pay shipping.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Thank-you
I think the shipping from CA (right?), will be a lot more than Northeast. But I'd like to try to save one. Could you give me an Idea of the weight and your zip? I'll check on costs.
Maybe I'd share my idea and you'd like to test it out? I've used it on metal small engine tanks. They weren't as bad as yours. I've used it to clean rusty metal to prep for new paint.

That's a lot of rust, any apparent holes?

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Thank-you
I think the shipping from CA (right?), will be a lot more than Northeast. But I'd like to try to save one. Could you give me an Idea of the weight and your zip? I'll check on costs.
Maybe I'd share my idea and you'd like to test it out? I've used it on metal small engine tanks. They weren't as bad as yours. I've used it to clean rusty metal to prep for new paint.

I am not aware of any holes but I will look at it closely tomorrow in the daylight. I got it in this condition and have never tried to put any gas in it.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Thank-you

Tank appears to be solid with no holes that I could see. The packaged weight would be 8 lbs, 8 ounces. My zipcode is 94566.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
LOL I came here to PM you for an update. Thanks I'll go into post office and ask. Or library And check on line for pricing.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
I have twice used the POR-15 tank restoration kit and I have been very pleased with the results both times. For me, it was an excellent way to go.

You must follow the instruction closely. You will need a hot air gun to dry the inside of the tank ($7 @ Harbor Freight) -- actually "over dry it" after you have "over rinsed it out".

The kit comes with a sponge type paint brush -- I attached it to a long stick with zip ties and used it to mop up the excess sealant on the bottom of the tank.

Most important is take your time. I planned on 3 hours and I went over. There is a lot of pouring the different solutions in the tank and shaking the tank. It is tiring. Don't rush it. I topped it all off with a cheap $7 petcock from China and have had zero trouble with the fuel system since.

Before:

P2041261s.jpg

After metal clean and prep:

after metal prep.jpg

After sealer applied:

P2191270.JPG

Cheap Chinese petcock:

PC101251.JPG

Tank today. It is a crappy paint job but the paint is gasoline resistant and from a distance looks OK.
The tank mounted on "The Parts Bike".

P6071314.JPG

A decal is next.

·
Super Moderator
17,937 Posts
ok, spill the beans, we want to know. ;)

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Thank-you
i've shipped a few tanks, they were always right around $25. finding the right box was always the biggest problem.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Tank today. It is a crappy paint job but the paint is gasoline resistant and from a distance looks OK.
The tank mounted on "The Parts Bike".

View attachment 8194

A decal is next.
the PBR (parts bike rider) gave it TWO big THUMBS UP!
....though darrell did say he'd like a decal and a new front tire. ;)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I'm almost out of data so I'm at library. Yep, post office said $25. I'll have to think about it. And it would be after the first of August before I have the cash.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts