TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's cold, my ignition switch freezes in the morning and won't move. is it safe to shoot that lock de-icer stuff in there? I'm thinking no, because the less foreign stuff in there the better & your typical deicer is apparently butane-based and I don't want to be the idiot who caught his ignition/handlebars/speedometer on fire.

what say ye? the guys I know locally are conflicted. one even said use wd40.

for now I just warm it up using a hand warmer. it's slow. heating up my key is even slower.

thanks for your time & happy new year!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
You should be fine unless something were to arc, which I don't see happening in the tumbler. But you could always leave the key on and wire a killswitch elsewhere. Then a locked up killswitch will be the problem.

I don't know how much butane those things put out, but butane burns in open air very fast and leaves little residual heat. If it's the only thing to burn off from a stray spark, you'll be fine. If it finds gasoline, the heat would probably be sufficient to ignite that.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool, thanks for the great info all. i will try the deicer stuff. I would definitely push it inside but then it would be in my kitchen. which would actually be awesome but my wife would kill me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
cool, thanks for the great info all. i will try the deicer stuff. I would definitely push it inside but then it would be in my kitchen. which would actually be awesome but my wife would kill me.

I have had the same problem lately. I have used an extension cord with a hair dryer and it works in 5 seconds. Get an extension cord.

It continued to happen. So I warmed it up with the hair dryer, took a compressor and blew the moisture out. I got some graphite off Amazon and used it to lubricate the lock and its been MUCH better. It still sticks some when its 15 or 20 out and it sits for 12+ hours, but only a little wiggling and it turns no problem. Before it was freezing up like crazy and there was no budging it.

I don't have a bike cover and it lives outside, so I cover the lock with an old winter hat to keep moisture out when not in use.

I've read DO NOT use wd-40 or even the alcohol based deicers. I'm sure once wont hurt, but if you are having consistent problems like i was you need to get the moisture out and graphite it then somehow keep the moisture out (cover).

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have had the same problem lately. I have used an extension cord with a hair dryer and it works in 5 seconds. Get an extension cord.

It continued to happen. So I warmed it up with the hair dryer, took a compressor and blew the moisture out. I got some graphite off Amazon and used it to lubricate the lock and its been MUCH better. It still sticks some when its 15 or 20 out and it sits for 12+ hours, but only a little wiggling and it turns no problem. Before it was freezing up like crazy and there was no budging it.

I don't have a bike cover and it lives outside, so I cover the lock with an old winter hat to keep moisture out when not in use.

I've read DO NOT use wd-40 or even the alcohol based deicers. I'm sure once wont hurt, but if you are having consistent problems like i was you need to get the moisture out and graphite it then somehow keep the moisture out (cover).

WD40 is a bad idea for most any application, especially frozen locks. Alcohol de-icer works ok, but use compressed air to blow it out of the lock, and then lube with something like Tri-flow or LPS-1 LPS-2 is OK, LPS-3 is not OK. I am a school district locksmith in anchorage ak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts