1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Heck, I'd take a Yugo under those circumstances, but that looks like a sweet ride. I could only say it might benefit from something like a 4BT in there instead of a V6.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heck, I'd take a Yugo under those circumstances, but that looks like a sweet ride. I could only say it might benefit from something like a 4BT in there instead of a V6.

Yea ever since the 4 cylinder turbo diesel was introduced in the Jeep Liberty, I've thought that a small, light, large displacement 4 cylinder diesel-powered off road vehicle with a serious 4x4 chassis setup would be an awesome idea.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That being said, I think the gasoline V6, with ~285 horsepower (?) should be more than adequate in low range 4WD. And there is always that Hemi V8 option lol, although it kind of seems like that motor would be a little heavy for serious off road driving, in a Wrangler's engine bay...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
That being said, I think the gasoline V6, with ~285 horsepower (?) should be more than adequate in low range 4WD. And there is always that Hemi V8 option lol, although it kind of seems like that motor would be a little heavy for serious off road driving, in a Wrangler's engine bay...

Oh, the V6 is definitely enough, I'm just the type to still want a little fuel efficiency in there. However, a Hemi or a Cummins is gonna require some serious springs up front. I do think it would benefit from an NV4500 or 5600 tranny though. I guess I should just go ahead and say that a 4BT and an NV are kinda my ideal drivetrain, albeit very heavy. the 4500 would probably be better overall, with the 5600 for better mpg on pavement and towing.

Regardless of any of that, the M35A2 is my truck to end all trucks. You can chop them to fit any crazy situation and they're gonna get 10-12mpg with anything that burns, under almost any load. I will have one, with a TW in the back, preferably. The AEV is cool, showy, and powerful, but I don't see it being some classic among the auto nerds of the future.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'll take the 6.4L Hemi @ 470hp and really get stuck! I thought the pricing wasn't to bad till I read "*Price does not include the cost of the base vehicle." Add another to the lottery wish list!

Ryan

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well if we're talking about other trucks in this category, I do think the Marauder is awesome too, and some of those US military trucks are pretty cool. But I'd say my number one choice of off road "overland" type of truck would have to be the Mercedes Unimog. I just found out that there is a NEW Unimog, available in several different trim packages, from basic industrial utility to extreme off road, rugged "overland", true go-anywhere monsters.

Check out this pic of the new 'mog:

http://stwot.motortrend.com/files/2013/04/2014-Mercedes-Benz-Unimog-U-5023-front-three-quarters-view.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, this truck can be had with a 7.7 liter inline six cylinder motor, putting out 299 horsepower at 2,200 RPM, and 885 pound feet of torque at only 1,200 RPM!

Now this is my kind of motor!

Here's a really entertaining article about driving one of the new Unimogs.

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/ultimate/163_1306_mercedes_benz_unimog_u4000_first_drive/index.html

It claims that the top speed in the lowest gear is 263 feet per HOUR, lol. If my quick calculation is correct, that's about .05 miles per hour... Awesome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts