TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have one? If so what do you think of it? I'm thinking of buying a leftover 2018 adventure sports to replace my Multistrada. Been thinking about this for a while and I had a chance to ride one recently that has pretty much sealed the deal... I wrote a post in my blog about the ride. Desert ride on a Honda Africa Twin

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Incredible bit of machinery, top of the line engineering by Honda.
What are you planning on doing/using it for? Must be amazing on the road.

I've helped quite a few riders pick them up on the trails, heavy suckers once they get away from you. At 533lbs not loaded you are in GS territory.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would guess this bike will be 80% road and commuting with some light dirt mixed in here and there. I’m not going to hard core off road it, that what I have a TW for.

The weight does not bother me, my multi is over 500 wet. This bike weighs like 30# more, I never noticed it.

It does ride nicely on the road, not as pure a road bike as my multi is but I think for my wants and needs it rode great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yeah I'm about in the same boat but can't test ride one in the snow. Kind of looking at the VFR1200X also. LOVE those big v-4 engines.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I'm about in the same boat but can't test ride one in the snow. Kind of looking at the VFR1200X also. LOVE those big v-4 engines.
I love the big v4's too, always had a thing for them going back to when i had my v65 Sabre. For what i am looking for now I think its just too much engine and just like my Multi i wont really use it. As it sits unless i get on the freeway i hardly get the multi out of second gear and its not a bike that likes to be lugged around, it wants to go.

Reality is the NC700X, a 650 Vstrom or Kawasaki Versys 650 probably have enough motor for my day to day use but wont really cut it 2up which we do a fair bit of. After spending a day on the AT i find the motor to be very well mannered with really usable power, its exactly what im looking for right now.

·
Registered
420 Posts
All I would say is take advantage of the technology available and get the DCT version... I bet it would take a little getting used to but just being able to focus on the road, negotiating turns, stupid drivers, and weather effects more than you would while blending throttle/shifting controls would be really nice along with getting a cool new(er) bike.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All I would say is take advantage of the technology available and get the DCT version... I bet it would take a little getting used to but just being able to focus on the road, negotiating turns, stupid drivers, and weather effects more than you would while blending throttle/shifting controls would be really nice along with getting a cool new(er) bike.
DCT wont be happening. Two reasons. First is i have ridden one and i did not really care for it. Second is the ones im am looking at are leftover 2018's all are manual transmission so i have zero choice. I also am not a big fan of adding another some 25# to an already heavy bike.

·
Registered
420 Posts
What didn't you like about it? I haven't tried an Africa twin out, but a lot of folks in my safety class were all about going to get one once they had their endorsement. I'm asking out of a lack of familiarity of the bike.

The extra weight, as someone who's mostly spent time on 500cc and below, how does the extra 25lbs impact the handling/ride/etc? Also asking due to a lack of experience with heavier bikes.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What didn't you like about it? I haven't tried an Africa twin out, but a lot of folks in my safety class were all about going to get one once they had their endorsement. I'm asking out of a lack of familiarity of the bike.

The extra weight, as someone who's mostly spent time on 500cc and below, how does the extra 25lbs impact the handling/ride/etc? Also asking due to a lack of experience with heavier bikes.
I would probably say the biggest thing i didn't like is when it decided it needed to shift when i would have held it in the lower gear longer ( IE when going powering out of a corner). I also did not like that is always wanted to be in the highest gear all the time. The manual mode is fine but the whole experience did not feel natural to me. I know they have tuned it and made it better over the years but i still would prefer a manual bike just like a prefer a manual on 4 wheels. I have been riding bikes for 30+ years so operating the controls and shifting is not something i even think about, its all muscle memory at this point.

The weight thing can absolutely effect the handling. Its about 25# and the way Honda built it it carries that 25# kind of high in the chassis and in the case of the Africa Twin it can make an already top heavy bike even more so. When my better half bought her NC700X we rode both and she ended up with the manual because of the weight. You could really feel the extra weight on this bike and she hated the feeling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Weight positioning does make a huge impact. As JB said, toss around the two different NC700's, then try a CTX700, which is basically the same engine but an even lower center of gravity. Quite a difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts