TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I was wondering if anyone has used this ( pictured below ) cam chain tensioner? I cracked my OEM one and am looking online to get a new one, then I came across this? Can anyone recommend, or have any experience with one?

Good? Bad?

From the looks of it, the aftermarket one is set at a constant, where as the OEM one from my understanding "adjusts"

I'm thinking the OEM one is the way to go, but I figured I'd stop in and see if anyone has info on one of these, they look kinda snazzy with the anodized finish.

Thanks Everyone for any input, thoughts, rants, raves.

TW200 Cam Chain Adjuster by Richard Todd Giordanella, on Flickr

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, Thanks guys that is what I've been thinking. I contacted the guy and he said, "So your chain wont skip at high RPM" Doesn't sound right to me. I'll stick with the OEM. I wonder if it makes any differance to have a static tension on the cam chain? Just curious?

I know this is off topic; RBM you're from Sussex :) My wife and I were just up there hiking around High Point with our dogs, grabbed lunch at Eloise's. We should get a NJ ride together this spring / summer, TONS of fun rides and trails down my way in the Pine Barrens. :)

Registered
The stock cam chain tensioner (on 2001+ bikes), only tightens as the chain develops enough slop to do so. How did you crack the stock one, if i may ask? The older (1987-2000) bikes had to be adjusted like the one above. Either way works, as long as you remember to check the manual tensioner- they apply force to the cam chain rubbing block exactly the same way, the new style just does this automatically. BTW- the above style only fits the newer bikes-it's for somebody that wants a manual tensioner for the newer bikes. I think they cost about the same as a new automatic, from Partzilla or the like sellers.- For me, i'll stick with my automatic-it works just fine.......Glenn

Registered
Yea, Thanks guys that is what I've been thinking. I contacted the guy and he said, "So your chain wont skip at high RPM" Doesn't sound right to me. I'll stick with the OEM. I wonder if it makes any differance to have a static tension on the cam chain? Just curious?

I know this is off topic; RBM you're from Sussex :) My wife and I were just up there hiking around High Point with our dogs, grabbed lunch at Eloise's. We should get a NJ ride together this spring / summer, TONS of fun rides and trails down my way in the Pine Barrens. :)
Sounds good to me! There was a group ride down that way last year, I'd like to get together at some point this year.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Glenn,

Thanks for the great info. My bike is a 2007 and I got over zealous tightening the 2 bolts that hold the tensioner to the engine and it cracked! I was kinda suprized becuase I didn't even tighten the bolts that hard, just a lick past "finger tighten" apparently it was too much.

- I'm sticking with the automatic ! ! ! ! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds good to me! There was a group ride down that way last year, I'd like to get together at some point this year.
Sounds great, we can all put something together, Summer 2015 TW Ride in the Pines.

Registered
I'd like to bring something up about manual cam chain tensioners. I have owned two different KLX250's , and each benefited from installing a manual cam chain tensioner. The benefit was simply noise related. The Automatic tensioners that come stock on the klx250s "work just fine" according to kawasaki engineers, and to be honest they are correct in the operation of the tensioner in terms of engine wear. By all accounts its working properly. The issue is the amount of audible, annoying noise that is heard by the rider.

Some would say the TW has these same sort of noises, others say it's all part of an air cooled engine that is over 30 years old in design. I would venture to say that a manual tensioner would clean up some engine noise, if only to make others more noticeable :p I'd say this would be worth trying, if one had some spare cash laying around. Automatic is nice, easy, almost maintenance free. The manual would take a couple fine tunings to get it bang on then you don't even have to think about it. The KLX250s was a different bike after getting rid of the top end noise, but the TW200 may not benefit from this upgrade. The only way to tell would be to try it.

Just some food for thought.

Registered
Just a thought but I asume you tried to tighten that thing down with tthe tensioner backed out? if not that would tighten the hell outta the chain and give somewhere.

On another note I would stick with the stock ones for these bikes, but I did have repeated problems with one of the stock ones on a sport bike I had a few years back. It came with a hydraulic tensioner that used oil pressure to tighten it. The adjuster had a bleed back valve that always failed. When the bike wasnt running for a while the tensioner would bleed off the pressure and then the chain would rattle like hell for 15 seconds os so till the pressure build back every start up. In the end I installed one of those style tensioners made by APE. I just adjusted it every oil change from there on out with no problems. I would just finger tighten it then start the engine and do the final adjust by feel and sound. Worked for thousands of miles and never had any issues.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, really insightful info. Both the OEM and Aftermarket ones were similar in price on Ebay so I ended up going OEM. I figured couldn't go wrong.

Registered
Late, but since I just adjusted my cam chain tensioner yesterday... On the TW manual tensioner, there is a spring which pushes the rod towards the chain. I assume this is to maintain a minimal amount of pressure to keep the chain tight until the next adjustment. The TW tensioner also has a gap measurement with the rod protruding through the um, rod holder if I can call it that. Anyway, just noticed the tensioner posted in the original post is a different style and was curious how this would be measured/set since it doesn't have a measurement window like I'm familiar with on the TW. Even though I had the cam chain cover off and could feel the cam chain, I'm not sure I'd know if it was too tight without the gap window on the OEM.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts