TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I don't have much experience with CV carbs, like the TK on my '08, so I'm a bit hesitant to fuss with it. There's lots of info on the CV carb here, though some confusion on what fits & how to shim this and that.

I'm more familiar with Keihin & Mikuni (non-CV) stuff, and those jets are readily available locally. Has anyone run Keihin PWK, FCR, Mikuni VM, TM flatslide or TM w/accel pump?

For what it's worth, this motor will see a new carb (or stock TK with rejet,) an aftermarket exhaust, a webcam 40a w/ springs & retainers, & probably not much more than that.

Thank you all in advance for your input!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hello everyone! I don't have much experience with CV carbs, like the TK on my '08, so I'm a bit hesitant to fuss with it. There's lots of info on the CV carb here, though some confusion on what fits & how to shim this and that.

I'm more familiar with Keihin & Mikuni (non-CV) stuff, and those jets are readily available locally. Has anyone run Keihin PWK, FCR, Mikuni VM, TM flatslide or TM w/accel pump?

For what it's worth, this motor will see a new carb (or stock TK with rejet,) an aftermarket exhaust, a webcam 40a w/ springs & retainers, & probably not much more than that.

Thank you all in advance for your input!
The Mikuni VM28-418 (flatsidecarb) fit's into the 2008 TW200.

But you will need a other thottle cable (one cable) and a throttle control for one cable.

-> throttle control like Domino 1815.03

-> throttle cable from the TW125 type 1 5EK-26311-01-00 (maybe avaiable in the US)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the fitment information! Was there a large gain in power using the VM28? Are the standard jets ok as a starting point for tuning?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts

1. DIfferent Carb - Yamaha TW200 Trailway Discussion Forum

17 posts - 10 authors - Last post: May 18A 33mm flatside flows about 100cfm, or 4 times the flow required for a ... The flatside also has some behavioral quirks which only make it ...

tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/22-different-carb/ - Cached

2. Re: changing rear sprocket right now - Yamaha TW200 Trailway ...

12 posts - 4 authors - Last post: Mar 10, 2009SEEMS LIKE THE FLAT SIDE HAS TO REGISTER ON THE INSIDE. YOU MAY HAVE TO WASHER THE STOCK BOLTS. HOPE THIS HELPS. RON ...

www.tw200forum.com › ... › TW200 ForumsTW200 Technical... - Cached

3. 30mm pumper carb? - Yamaha TW200 Trailway Discussion Forum

5 posts - 3 authors - Last post: Aug 10, 2009I think you have to adjust the carb a bit leaner (mainjet and slowjet). I am using for my VM28-418 flatside carb a #25 slowjet. ...

tw200forum.com › ... › TW200 ForumsTW200 Performan... - Cached

Re: Anyone running tw-parts Mikuni carb kit? - Yamaha TW200 ...

4 posts - 3 authors - Last post: Sep 19, 200828mm flatside Mikuni carb kit - high compression piston (1st oversize, 67,5mm) - optimised outlet - org. headerpipe but with a midified ...

Re: Mikuni Carbs, anyone? Project bike needing some carb TLC ...

11 posts - 8 authors - Last post: Jul 22, 2009I (TW @ 217ccm + Akrapovic Racing) have installed the Mikuni VM28-418 flatside carb. To find the perfect setup sucks a lil bit, ...

www.tw200forum.com › ... › TW200 ForumsTW200 Technical... - Cached

Modifying a cv carb is easy

http://tw200.forumotion.com/t152-tk-carb-main-jet-needle-spacing-change

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I know, that the VM28-418 will fit into the TW200 with brake disk, without any problem.

Bolt it on and finished. The measurements are nearly the same, like the org. carb.

Measurements from the VM28-418:

33mm - diameter intake side

44mm - diameter airbox side

82mm - complete length

And now from the TM33-12

40mm - diameter intake side (7mm bigger as VM28)

50mm - diameter airbox side (6mm bigger as VM28)

94mm - complete length (12mm longer as VM28)

And the next problem is the carb size.

A big carb dia is good for high rpm engines.

And a smaller carb is good for low and middle rpm engines.

A good working carb needs a minimum air speed and it does have a maximum air speed.

The minimum speed is not warranted, if you will use a big carb.

28mm -> 615mm² (cross section surface)

33mm -> 855mm² (cross section surface)

-> + 39% -> This is a big increase for a not performance tuned engine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The Mikuni VM28-418 (flatsidecarb) fit's into the 2008 TW200.

But you will need a other thottle cable (one cable) and a throttle control for one cable.

-> throttle control like Domino 1815.03

-> throttle cable from the TW125 type 1 5EK-26311-01-00 (maybe avaiable in the US)
Can you provide a baseline for jetting on this application?

Main Jet:
Pilot Jet:
Needle Jet:
Throttle Valve:
Jet Needle:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts