TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 1992 TW I want to switch out the big stock front blinkers for some smaller more modern looking ones. I bought some online and they would light up but not flash, someone on a different thread mentioned the bulb might be too small, do you know if that could be true?
Does anyone have any aftermarket solutions that they have used and know work for sure? Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Welcome from Bel Air Maryland

The front blinkers use 1157 type bulbs. Running and blinkers where the rear are blinker only. If you are using LED lights then that's a whole new problem.

·
Registered
892 Posts
If LED you need the diode because you have one "dash" indicator for two lights. You will also need the LED flasher. Frankly-Why? (I asked myself that after I did LED conversion for my bike-but kept the oem lights) Keep it cheap and simple. Get the stuff with 1157's and rubber/plastic stems-fall-break repeat. No need to call in Maund Speed Equipment for this one. If you dress up your bike you will make the rest of us look "low class."

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If you want to run LEDs or lower wattage incandescent, you will need something like this:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/lf1-s-flat-universal-motorcycle-electronic-flasher/787/842/

Standard flashers function based upon load.
If the amperage is too low, the bi-metal strip does not heat up enough to open the flasher contacts.
An LED or lower wattage flasher function based upon time, independent of load.

On my 2017, changing just the rear resulted in a very rapid flash.
Changing both (without a LED flasher) resulted in no flash.

Post 203: http://tw200forum.com/forum/tw200-classifieds/25209-freebies-list-your-free-items-here-2.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys! Thanks for your responses, gave me some good things to think about. I think with my skill level of working on a bike I'll go the nonLED route lol and find a cheap one with the right bulb size

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If you can find smaller bulb than 1157, that draws 2.1 amps (or close thereto) , it will work.

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
I ordered up a couple of LED flasher relays off fleebay, took all of about 2 minutes to swap out the original.
The original is on the left side held on with a rubber thing, A little spritz of WD40 and it slips right off the metal tab. Just match it up with one that looks the same. If memory serves I think I got 2 of them shipped for less than $5.
I didn't buy fancy LED flashers, I bought a cheap pair that was small enough to be protected by the rear rack. The original rubber stocks are durable, but by the time I replaced my third lens I decided to go a different direction.
I am taking the approach that they are going to break, no matter what you buy, so go with cheap replaceables.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Me too, I wish I was not that way, every time my Tw's get a new scratch I'm depressed for a Week plus, I usually have to drink twice as much Pbr.
I guess I really do love my Tw's. :love-struck::love-struck::love-struck:

·
Registered
207 Posts
crash last Weekend on my 89 Tw.

I let a feller drive it out in the woods, when he returned it was oviouse he crashed. I found bent bars, ripped throttle grip, broken right front signal light arm, but worst of all a dent in the beautiful red & black tank. He had a Black eye, " Not from me " Lol. And a scrapped up right leg and arm. He's going to be ok, Im just sick about the bike.
I just want to say if it had been my other Tw that dose not have the Cycle country front and rear racks it would have been a whole lot worse. :black_eyed:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I like the OEM lights...KISS it's a TW :p
LED definitely for brake/tail for longivity, but turn bulbs last a very long time and are on so little that overall stator load reduction is negligible.
I tried it on mine, since I had the LEDs in stock...but I went back to original incandescent.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Once someone tears up your poor bike then you remember why you don't like others to ride them.
Circa mid seventies, my wife's Yamaha 175 Enduro was also a spare for friends.
Took a friend to Cuddeback Dry Lake, couple hours north of Los Angeles.
At the beginning of the ride, he just had to pass me.
He did, lost it and crashed.
Only damage to bike that I recall was the handlebars.
He broke his collar bone.
I kept asking him if he wanted to ride some more, before going to Antelope Valley Hospital.
What a wasted trip!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts