TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my speedometer is not working very well and I'm thinking to get a new one, are you aware of any aftermarket speedometer that are "plug and go"? Or at least something that requires minimal amount of wiring?
I've read a few posts and it seems like people go through hell when wiring their new speedometers on the TW.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Hi Errtu, i will check that out, i am wondering if this one would work
I have a similar one on my bike (mph version) it hooks up just fine. Just make surethe speedo ratio is 2240:60

Here is the post if you want to read through it:

Here is the related post that deals with the wiring. Please keep in mind, I bought an identical connector to match the OEM speedo connector, then matched plugs in position to the plug on the wiring harness.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a similar one on my bike (mph version) it hooks up just fine. Just make surethe speedo ratio is 2240:60

Here is the post if you want to read through it:

Here is the related post that deals with the wiring. Please keep in mind, I bought an identical connector to match the OEM speedo connector, then matched plugs in position to the plug on the wiring harness.

Thanks bigblake, this is definitely helpful, those headlights are awesome btw, what brand are they ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do I tell that the speed ratio is 2240:60?
Here are the specs I found
Material: Stainless Steel
Voltage : 12V
Shape: circle
Case Color: Black
Mirror Diameter: 6.5cm/2.5“
Size: 60(D)mm x 55(H)mm / 2.59" x 2.16"
Mounting hole diameter: 10mm / 0.39"
Speedometer unit: km/h
odometer unit: km
Odometer measurement : 0-160km/h
Package size: 8.5 x 9 x 9cm
Package Includes:
1x DC 12V Motorcycle Speedmeter
Install instuction is not included

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Thanks bigblake, this is definitely helpful, those headlights are awesome btw, what brand are they ?
The headlights were a cheap eBay special before trying to find better built ones, turns out they were pretty good. Just search for "dominator headlights" on eBay.

The speedometer should have the ratio in the description somewhere. Since it's Amazon, you could message the seller to find out, but if it just says "universal" I wouldn't trust it, I've been burned too many times trying stuff like that out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The headlights were a cheap eBay special before trying to find better built ones, turns out they were pretty good. Just search for "dominator headlights" on eBay.

The speedometer should have the ratio in the description somewhere. Since it's Amazon, you could message the seller to find out, but if it just says "universal" I wouldn't trust it, I've been burned too many times trying stuff like that out.
I totally agree, I'm really going mad trying to find a 2240/60 speedometer, sellers just don't list that information in the specs

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, I found some from the US already, I'm struggling to find one in Europe

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Hi everyone, my speedometer is not working very well and I'm thinking to get a new one, are you aware of any aftermarket speedometer that are "plug and go"? Or at least something that requires minimal amount of wiring?
I've read a few posts and it seems like people go through hell when wiring their new speedometers on the TW.
Thanks in advance
I put up a thread to see if anyone else on the forums have used them, seems like not much wide use for the folks on here, but GPS speedometers was something I started looking into after you posted this thread.

I have a build bike (currently in the shop) that I've been sorting out parts for, and one of the issues I'm facing is planning to do a big wheel mod to the front end, which will essentially render the speedo inop. So, I watched a ton of YouTube review videos, a lot of which come from Europe, and aside from the few seconds you have to wait when the unit gets turned on, and obviously buying the best reviewed models, they appear to be fairly accurate and reliable.

This is (of course) if you don't feel like turning your phone or other GPS system into your speedometer and mount it to your bike, which is also another great cost-saving option as mentioned by others on here.

This version kept popping up in videos of people doing comparisons in cars/vans/motorcycles, and it seemed to match speed on most of them, figured it might be a nice option for those that still want the aesthetics of a motorcycle speedometer, and doesn't require anything but power hookups.

Here are a couple I was able to find in videos, or that I think would just look good :)

I like this one! It only goes up to 80mph/120kph, perfect for the TW200:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions bigblake, I will have a look, I was also curious to know if by any chance this is the one you have
Obejrzyj ten przedmiot w serwisie Amazon Prędkościomierz motocyklowy licznik kilometrów z 4 funkcjami kierunkowskazu do Honda Kawasaki Yamaha Suzuki Cafe Racer Old School Bobber (czarny) Prędkościomierz motocyklowy licznik kilometrów z 4 funkcjami kierunkowskazu do Honda Kawasaki Yamaha Suzuki Cafe Racer Old School Bobber (czarny): Amazon.pl: Industrial
Basically, yes.

It's very close, just the MPH version.

Mini Speedometer w/Indicator Lights & Trip Meter - 2240:60 - Black - MPH https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YMTRZZ...abc_CGNCPPADQZ8WRDZXF1D2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Older photo, I have a single headlight setup now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It does seems like it's the same only in I'm, the colours of the wires also look the same, I've never wired a speedometer, I'm probably looking at a one or two days of hell :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It took me a couple hours, I installed a plastic connector on my speedo so it plugs right in, I can take a picture of it for the pin out if that helps?
That would be really really helpful if it doesn't cause you any hassle, what kind of connector would I need? I really appreciate the help btw, thank you

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
That would be really really helpful if it doesn't cause you any hassle, what kind of connector would I need? I really appreciate the help btw, thank you
Here is the kit I bought, it covers most of the standard connectors on the TW.

I really didn't feel like taking the front end of my bike apart, I've got it all dressed up with a number plate covering all the wiring, so here's the best picture I can get you.

It will provide orientation and colors (assuming the wiring color scheme on yours is the same), for the bullet connector connections, you may just have to swap them around until you get it right. It'll just be the tedious work of pinning and getting the connector hooked up.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I loved the cute little bicycle speedometer I had on my last Valkyrie.

Pretty small and no backlight but dead on accurate and $15.

Sorry, no photos. But I assume most of our crowd here would not settle for it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts