TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
!!!WARNING, Maybe long and boring write-up. If you don't want to read it, just scroll down to see the couple of pics and image what the ride was.!!!

I had a rare opportunity to have an afternoon off with no wife, kids, or bathroom remodeling to worry about, so I decided to combine two of my favorite things by attempting to ride my TW to the local shooting range, located about 8 miles from my house. This might not typically qualify as an Adventure or Trail ride, but considering that 3 weeks ago when I went to the shooting range I had to go by snowmobile, I think it counts. I also did not know what the road condition would be, given that we had changed from snow and very cold weather to a mix of sun, rain, and above freezing temps, at least during the daytime.

So off I went with a head full of dreams and hopes for a challenge that could be overcome by the great TW. I rode the 3 miles or so of bare pavement to were the dirt starts, where I was happy to see that the snow had indeed decreased in depth and some other adventurous souls had already attempted the route in what looked to be a truck and 1-2 side-by-sides. I started on my way and found the going easy by staying in the ruts of the other vehicles, which sometimes were down to the frozen mud and other spots still floating over some hard packed snow. In places the ruts were deep enough that my pegs were rubbing both sides, not my favorite feeling but manageable. After a mile or so I saw my neighbor coming toward me in his side-by-side and talked for a minute. He informed me that the other tracks, including his own, turned around another 1/4 mile ahead and he didn't know how far I would make it. Well that got me excited and nervous at the same time.

I reached the point where the other tracks stopped and had to try riding on top of the the snow instead of in the pre-made ruts. The TW did great and had just enough float to stay mostly on top. The snow must have thawed and frozen again enough that it had some good substance to it. The rear tire was sinking in some the whole time and I had to keep a steady spin going along with momentum to keep swimming through the stuff. Only once did it get soft enough, (or maybe me slow enough) that the rear tire sank deep.

Ant flat sunk tire.jpg

This presented a great time to catch my breath and take some pics.
Below is looking back to the south from where I had come.

ant flat south.jpg

And this one is looking North toward where I was hoping to go. I was afraid that I would continue to sink in and have to turn around.

ant flat north.jpg

I lifted the rear out of its hole and ventured forward. Surprisingly, it did not get any worse, and even got better in some spots that had stayed in shadow from the warm afternoon sun. I even got into 3rd gear on one gentle down-hill section.

I successfully made it to the range and discovered that they had plowed the dirt road coming from the other direction, but that would have boring. The parking lot of the pistol bay was still covered in snow and when I attempted to use my kick stand to park the TW, I could tell it was going to sink and tip over, so this time I purposefully sank the rear tire and enjoyed some shooting.

pistol bay.jpg

On the way out I decided to take the plowed dirt road and then connect to some other dirt/gravel roads to take the long way home. The roads for the most part were so silky smooth (no washboards yet) and just the right amount of hard pack and moisture that it was a great ride home.

I stopped for one more picture break before dropping into town.

Golf course overlook panerama.jpg

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
20,184 Posts
Sounds like you just made it to the shooting range. Nervous moments indeed when the rear starts sinking and forward momentum ceases. Sometimes one can get out on the morning's frozen crust, but then if one has too much fun things melt and the way home can be an afternoon's struggle.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I had a friend with a log home between Wagon Tire and John Day that we stayed at several times. The snowmobiling, quad riding and exploring was amazing. Thanks for sharing the adventure, it brings back great memories!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Great story and pics.

So when you say you are on the "right" side of Oregon; is that geographically speaking or intellectually speaking (you could mean the correct side which you might consider to be the left side (coast).
I'm taking it as both geographically AND intellectually the right side which should be obvious since it is closest to Idaho! ;)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Love the ride report and what our frozen TW ers do with our great bikes.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Great ride, and report. I especially like the pics of the rear sunk in the snow. lol I agree with Donzo, regarding super area for open riding and summers.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
I have been toying with the idea of starting an open invite to any forum member who would like to come and ride in wallowa county. If I decide to organize something I will start a new thread. As a preview Google search Dug Bar Oregon or Hat Point Oregon.
That's the great attitude that makes this a great forum. I googled Dug Bar Oregon. It looks like an awesome place..! Too bad I'm thousands of miles away :(

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
I think Dug Bar and Hat Point have been on the riding Menu at every Jamboree I think. It was nice to meet and talk to the lady who puts on the Jamboree at our North Idaho Rider last year. Looking forward to the Jamboree and meeting you. ... and I hope you do find a date to put together a TW gathering ride. We're "In" ha ha. Joke from people who sign up for the Jamboree. I know there is a ton of good riding in N.E. Oregon!!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well let's do this for now. I officially invite any and all forum members to a BBQ at my house the Saturday evening of June 10th, 2017. This is in conjunction with the Adventure Rider wallowa valley Jamboree. The link to the Jamboree page is here:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2017-wallowa-valley-adventure-jamboree.1189299/

The Jamboree already offers some group rides, but maybe if we get enough TWs to come we can do a TW only ride somewhere special. If there is much interested beside the Admiral, I will start a separate thread.
Hope some of you can make it.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Well let's do this for now. I officially invite any and all forum members to a BBQ at my house the Saturday evening of June 10th, 2017. This is in conjunction with the Adventure Rider wallowa valley Jamboree. The link to the Jamboree page is here:

2017 Wallowa Valley Adventure Jamboree | Adventure Rider

The Jamboree already offers some group rides, but maybe if we get enough TWs to come we can do a TW only ride somewhere special. If there is much interested beside the Admiral, I will start a separate thread.
Hope some of you can make it.
I think this would be a great TW get together. Not usually up for a pay to ride thing, but sure like the area as seen from google. With Moutain yawp, being our guide I am sure there are a lot of places to see without being overrun by the adv folks.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Plumbstraight, unless I missed something about the Jamboree, I think you only pay for the camping. I plan on joining some rides and not camping with the group, since my comfy bed is only 2 miles away, and don't think I will be required to pay. Please correct me if I am wrong about fees.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts