TW200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a few of you have the AFX-39DS helmet like me. A chin curtain is available to cut down on wind noise and an outer sunshield that operates independently of the regular shield. It's available in light smoke, dark smoke, silver mirror, and gold mirror. I ordered the dark smoke based on reviews that the light smoke wasn't dark enough. The sunshield covers most of the viewing area and also has detent 3 positions. Both fit under the visor no problem. I just got the sunshield today and will try it out tomorrow morning. I'm still waiting for the chin curtain to arrive. I don't think either of these accessories were available when I purchased the helmet.

I can't say for sure, but there's a chance they will also work with the Fly Trekker

Sunshield (about $20):
Amazon.com: AFX Replacement Internal Sun Shield For FX-39DS Dark Smoke 0130-0443: Automotive

Chin Curtain ($8):
Amazon.com: AFX Chin Curtain Fx39 Black 0134-1363: Automotive

I'll try to post some pictures soon.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the pix and my thoughts. I did receive the chin curtain and was able to try it out as well.

Sunshield - I get a headache with sunglasses inside my helmet after a while so having this is a worthwhile upgrade for $20. It's optically correct and operates independently of the clear shield. I did have to adjust the visor from full forward to about the middle of the adjustment range to clear the sunshield when it is up. Good upgrade in my opinion and you don't have to remember sunglasses or switch shields.

Sunshield pix:

Chin Curtain - This does noticeably cut down the wind noise. It also makes taking your helmet on/off a bit of a pain. I finally found a technique that works so it will clear my nose. If you do a lot of helmet cam work - attaching an external mic to the inside front of this would be helpful. While it does work, if wind noise isn't bothering you it may not be worth spending $8 for this.

Chin Curtain:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
My wife and I have Fly Trekkers which I believe are pretty much the same as the FX-39. In humid weather we sure have a problem with the shield fogging up. Do you have that issue with the FX-39?

Do you think the chin shield would help cut down on air entry to keep things a bit warmer in cold winter weather or is it pretty much only a sound mitigator?

Thanks for the review and pictures!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The humidity is not bad where I ride and I haven't had the shield fog up at all (yet). I always ride with all the vents open and try to stay out of the rain if possible. I still wish it had a detent where you could just crack it open like 1/4" and not half-way up. Every other helmet I have ever owned had that feature.

The chin shield I think work more on cutting down air turbulence to reduce the noise. It's still mesh and allows a little air to move through it. I still think it would help somewhat on really cold days but I would probably consider a neck gaiter if it was really cold out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts