TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

AGM battery for a 2021 TW200

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Mattkcc 
#1 ·
My lead acid battery wasn't holding a charge well, so I decided to replace it with lithium. I ordered a Firepower HJB7BL and installed it . The battery has a little built in tester which showed fully charged, my meter showed 13.92 volts should be good to go, however would not turn over motor or turn on lights. Tried it again after checking connections and it again nothing, took the battery out and put my lead acid back in fired right up. Another thing that bothered me was the instructions stated you need to remove battery to charge it and would take special charger. I think the problem is this batter may work for a kick start but not a electric start.

So I decided to go with a AGM but can't find one for a newer TW with electric start. Anybody got a link for a AGM that would work?

#2 ·
Here is my original post of this one:
#2 · Feb 5, 2017

I got the Scorpian YTZ7S, $44.95 from Batterystuff.com at this time. I have been happy with it so far, a few months. It seems way better than all of the lead acid batteries I have had. I thought something was wrong with the starting system and was getting ready to trace all starting ground leads. It would turn over slow with a new lead acid battery. It works great with the AGM battery.

Notice that my post was from 2017 and I am still using the same battery. The batteries show weaker than the stock battery but perform much better, are smaller and lighter. If you use this battery you will have to use some foam spacers to hold the battery secure. I'm not sure of the current price.

#3 ·
I run the same battery as Ken. It's not technically for a TW, by listing, so you need a piece of foam to keep it from rattling around. I've bought a lot of batteries from BatteryStuff and they are a great vendor.

#5 ·
Im gonna order one. The stock flooded battery is now a year old and with no kicker I need a reliable battery.
Battery stuff wants 52 bucks shipping included. I think thats a real good deal. My local Batterys plus wants $92. And its a 60 mile round trip to go get it.
Thanks for the tip.

#6 ·
I ordered a Firepower HJB7BL and installed it
Something doesn’t add up – 90% charge in six minutes is the first, no Lithium can do this, otherwise the mobile phone guys would be all over it, let alone the car people. Imagine charging an electric car in 6 minutes to 90% - with todays technology it’s not going to happen

Next up is the claim that it can hold a charge for up a year – mine start up just fine (on the button, with the lights on) after two years, which kinda blows that one out the water. Plus the fact that whether it is electric start or kickstart makes absolutely no difference. My bikes have both, and they start just fine on Lithium after two years

This reminds me of a few years back when we had reports of duff Lithium batteries, often from new. Looks like you got the old stock (as indicated by the price). Things have changed considerably in the meantime, but if you want a bargain, you do so at your own risk

Long story short – my Lithium’s are fine after two years, while yours was shot out of the box – do the math, you get what you pay for, but these are perilous times to make a judgement. What do you do if an unscrupulous seller makes insane claims and charges over the odds for obsolete technology ?

Until it settles down it’s a minefield, and it sounds like you stepped on one …….

#7 ·
I don't understand what your saying I never charged the battery it came fully charged, I never charged it. The battery would start my TW, it was either defective or made for a kick start bike. The only comment I made about charging was the instructions stated to remove the battery when you charge it which would be a pain I assume leaving it in while charging could be a fire risk.

#14 ·
Ok, I think it's just a bad battery, I'm going to stick with AGM which I use in my camper van and I'm familiar with.. I think the seller sent me a returned battery because it was missing the bolt to attach the bikes wires also no foam to place around the battery. Amazon refunded me and the seller didn't want the battery returned another hint that I'm not the first to get this battery.

#9 ·
WPS Fire Power Featherweight Lithium Battery
  • Lithium Ion Polymer technology
  • All components are designed, manufactured, assembled and packed in one location assuring high quality and consistency
  • Extremely lightweight, 50% to 70% lighter than standard batteries
  • Built-in LED test gauge
  • Increased cranking amps over lead acid batteries
  • Fast recharge, can be brought up to a 90% charge within 6 minutes
  • Easily 6 to 12 times more cycle life compared to lead acid batteries
  • Long shelf life, up to 1 year before requiring recharging
  • Can be mounted in any position
  • No hazardous acid or heavy metals, non-explosive and non-combustible
  • 2 year manufacturer's warranty
Reading the battery info it sounds really good. Did you try another first? It says 2 year warranty. Probably an easy swap with the company. Sometimes you get a dud. I would take the (Fast recharge brought up to 90 percent). I think it means that once vehicle is started that after 6 minutes run time the battery is back at 90 percent charge.

#11 ·
LIthium polymer (this isn't an iron phosphate version, just LiPo) has a really fast charge cycle. But the capacity of the battery isn't that great which also decreases the time considerably to charge. I think this one is 24Wh, or 2A X 1hr discharge. This is about 1/4 capacity of a stock battery or LiFePo4 at best. That's why it can charge that fast. I was under the assumption they were supposed to ship all of those at around 60% and to make it reliable you had to do a series of charge/discharge cycles first for those to last any amount of time. In the electronics world I've never received one topped off. Maybe Firepower is doing this first? It may just need to be on a charger and slowly discharged a few times. Hope you get it figured out. I will say this... I would much rather have a LiFePO4 battery under my rear than a LiPO should anything go wrong. Much greater chance of fire from LiPo's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.