TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw that my one dot "newbie" status was bumped to a full-fledged two-fer "member" this afternoon. I have had some interaction with a few of you but thought I'd introduce myself and start showing off some of the mods that many of you have inspired me to do thus far.

I am one of the few people born and raised in Arizona, I attend Midwestern University's Doctor of Podiatric Medicine program, I like long walks in the forest with a rifle or bow, and I Speak Portuguese.

I Rode around the family 87TW for quite some time last summer and really enjoyed it. My wife and I have been doing the 1 car thing for the past year and I have been riding my bicycle to school mainly. During finals I leave very early and come home verrrry late. For my safety I take the car everyday for that week or two which left her and my boy at home without transportation, which never sat very well with me, so I caved and recently bought the old '87 off my dad. It is in great shape (6000mi), especially considering the year, and I have been doing some of the mods that I deemed more important while on spring break.

First mod, I guess, was to get the dang thing running again after a year of sitting in the garage (modified it from "that thing" to a "motorcycle" according to my mom)! With a lot of help from Qwerty's Carb tuning tutoring I finally can lay on the throttle without so much as a hiccup... not that I do though, just if I WERE to do so, it would be just fine (actually that's not true, I am running a 114 in flat ol' Glendale Arizona which I think I should be running a 120 or 124 (any opinions on that, esp. AZ guys?) so it runs sort of lean IMO). I also removed and cleaned the gas tank, new filter, all that jazz.

I started a custom rack integrating the stock rack and some artsy tube bending skill to hold two 40mm Ammo Can Panniers I can keep my instruments and books, as well as some tools in (images to come, it's way late right now and am feeling barely energized enough to write this).

I have a 15 tooth front sprocket I ordered from last summer(I would like to buzz just a little less at 45mph). I'm waiting to do an oil change and some new gaskets before I decide to put it on though.

Tusk D-flex hand guards (classic red and white, like the classic bike colors)

Fly racing crossbar pad (you know, for when I smash my face on the crossbar)

Infamous Storage tube!! and a Wolfman 1L fuel canister to ride inside (from rockymountainatv.com).

And one of only four (yes you read that right) Jimbo "Blind as a Bat BLACK" shields.

So, there you have it, thought I'd let you guys know who I am, and what I have been up to this past week. I am on here all the time, but you probably won't see many other posts from me, at least for a while. At this point I don't think it will be any help (not considering some of the brains of the major contributors here). But, as for my personal projects, I will post some pictures of my progress and throw up any errors that I stumble upon the way. Thanks for everyone's guidance so far, I hope my input can prove useful to someone out there...someday.

Stay tuned (at least for a week) til the pics are up. In the meantime friggin' ride safe guys!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Greetings Steppin, Thanks for the intro. Its always nice to know where folks are located and something about their reasons for having one of these machines. You have transportation about as cheap as possible between the TW and the bicycle. I alternate between those two as well. The bicycle is hard to start in the winter but the heater works. The MC starts easily but tries to freeze me to death in the winter. Can't win. Tom

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Welcome to the forum and your two dots. Allways nice to see pics of the bikes and mods. Hope you will share yours.

Ronnydog

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Great. Another weirdo on a TW. You'll fit right in!

If memory serves, glendale is at least 1000 feet altitude. Maybe flat, but not sea level. You'll find another couple thousand feet of altitude when you start exploring the nearby hills. That 114 jet won't be as l;ean as you think. Combined with a raised needle, an open pilot screw, and a 45mph urban commute, you'll be quite close to maximum efficiency for the way you ride. Ride it a while before making changes. If you do not feel any of the symptoms of running lean, it ain't broke, so don't fix it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I just finished up my ammo box panniers last night myself. Post some pics, love to see how you went about it. As soon as I wrestle away my daughters computer I'll throw some pics up as well.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Welcome aboard DS.

Nice fab work FP.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks MrGiz, as always I go as cheap as possible. The brackets are actually shelf brackets available at walmart/lowes. Just threw them in the vice and bent the ends to suit and repainted. I had a step off and the bike rested on the left box and bent the bolt holding it on. I bent it back and 45 miles later the vibration finished off the bolt and left the box dangling.

I've since added a crossbar that bolts on the bottom of the rear brackets and increased the strength quite a bit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for everyone's patience, like I said i'm a medical student so my weekdays are completely shot as far as getting around to actually uploading pictures goes.

Here is a pic of the rack that I welded up, I used the factory rack but bent some steel tube for the rest. I did a simplified version of another similar post.

Another view

I mounted my BLACK Jimbo Shield and the Tusk handguards that were recommended so heavily, So Far I DIG IT!

As far as tha actual Panniers I used 40mm ammo cans, spray painted them black, rhiho liner on the wheel side and on the lower 1/4 all the way around, and gloss for the lids and upper 3/4. I had a perfect sheen on the lids with the first coat, but when I laid down the second the paint crackled, and it clearly looks spraypainted now, but hey, they are!

I had to drill out the spot welds of the support bracket so they would fit flush against the rack.

I added inntertube along the spots where the hanging brackets hook to the frame, then added rigid conduit mounting brackets and bolted them in place. I originally wanted "quick release" type, and bought the hardware, but just took it back. I won't be lugging these around anywhere off the back, that's for sure.

At night, first picture with them bolted on. Note the reflection stickers. Visibility is much higher now.

Final Darierre view

Side view

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One last note: I bolted on a $1.00 cupholder inside the ammo can so I can safely carry my 44oz Dew to school on those late night study sessions. I'm severely enjoying the setup!

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
You 'Rack Guys' are going crazy. Don't they give 'Home Work' in Med School. Nice job on your rack & cans Dubsteppen. Those things are so big they look like they were for transporting Nike Missiles
Gerry

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You 'Rack Guys' are going crazy. Don't they give 'Home Work' in Med School. Nice job on your rack & cans Dubsteppen. Those things are so big they look like they were for transporting Nike Missiles
Gerry

Thanks Gerry, the whole thing was a spring break project, it was a nice way to relax. So far they hold GigGulps a few tools and some flip flops.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Love that rack you made! Cant believe you managed to successfully mount those monster cans. Touratech eat your heart out

How is the stability on those? Feel comfortable loading them down?

2nd question, are the hinges the same on the larger cans? I noticed today once opened a slight push to one side completely removes the lids on mine. Had I realized that before mounting I would have put the open end front side as the bike leaning tilts the direction needed to unhinge.

I took pics earlier, added locks to mine. I'll try and upload tomorrow- it was simple and now I don't have to worry about someone running off with my $5 socket set.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha, thanks Fort Payne! The lids have a metal sleeve that hugs the sides of the can, you can see it in the picture with the can on the side. Essentially if you can't pop the latch they aren't going anywhere. They were used only once and sold at auction so I assume they are one of the latest editions, maybe it's a new feature. They are 40mms too.

I have yet to load them down, they weigh bout 6 pounds a piece, which is a lot lighter than they look. I am more comfortable on the street with them on, for some reason. With their downward angle I would assume that puts a slighter pressure at high speeds (50, ha!) on the rear tire, sort of like a spoiler, that and the slight weight addition, combined with how I "think" it rides better equals a sweet smooth journey every day.

The way they are positioned doesn't seem to effect handling, as far as feeling top heavy. I am sure a top box would feel a lot different than these low-boys, but, again, they've been relatively empty so far. The view isn't that great but the cans actually hang about to the level of the wheel, past the rubber, which I consider low compared to some of the other racks and cans I've seen. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Next time you get a chance, open one of the boxes all the way until the lid is resting on the hinge: then give the lid a tap to the left (kickstand side) and see if the entire lid doesnt come right off. With the lids off it opens up a whole new set of possibilities. Anything too tall for the box can be put in the box and bungied at the rack ie.tent, slim gas cans, whatever fits. Not than you would find much that was too tall for your boxes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i am new on forum but have been reading it for about 1 year, lots of good advice hear on the forum. nice job on rack and like seeing pic's.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Here's my box locks. So simple and a lot cheaper than the $20 they want online.

And the crossbar I added....

And while we're at it my helmet lock $1 (no stock lock)...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts