TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
In the early spring I collect the stripped tree limbs left by the beavers over the winter and make very nice walking sticks from them. The beavers eat the bark much like we eat corn on the cob and strip the sticks clean as a whistle leaving a real nice pattern in them. Not 100 percent sure of the type of tree but I think Poplar is their preference and after it dries from being totally water logged it is very strong and often very straight.

Beavers are natures architects but in the wrong place they can be a real problem. I have a small creek that runs along side of my property and is fed by a small pond about a mile up from my back yard. Two years ago the creek just about dried up with almost no water flowing. I walked up to the pond which is normally just a shallow wet land swamp and it is now a lake after the beavers built a dam in the outflow. What was once just 3 feet deep is now every bit of 6-8 feet deep and a pretty nice pond capable of supporting fish like bass and pickerel. The problem however is if we do get a big storm or a heavy spring thaw and their dam gives away. My little creek will turn into a raging river in a real hurry. The fellow who owns the pond and the beaver dam likes what they have done but I am not quite as happy with their handy work.

GaryL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts