TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ,

Buddy of mine brought his 92 over for some carb maintenance and the joint replacement was on the list .

Yep , the rubber was rock hard . I just went thru this on my 87 over the winter , but pretty much had the bike apart on the bench . I ended up taking the whole *#**! air box out of the frame . Even then it was a chore .

Just wondered if anyones had success doing this without removal of the air box ?

I'm thinking removal of the rear tire and shock might allow enough access ?

TIA

Scott

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
I have replaced a few of these rock hard boots. Use a hair dryer on the hot setting which will soften the rubber enough to get it out. For installing the new one you can drop it in very hot water and grease the opening around the box to slide it in.

GaryL

·
Registered
237 Posts
The new boot is way easier to install than it is to take off. I took the seat off and worked at it from the top. You can use a long screwdriver to sort of "fold" the boot to one side to work it over the end of the carb.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Thanks Gary , but I just went Gonzo with big screwdriver and hammer managed to pry it out
I worried myself not wanting to damage the box .
The old and hard boot is junk so I have cut them out, pryed them out and used a large screw driver. It is garbage so no worries except to not damage the box. The new one goes in real easy if you get it warm and have the end lubricated a little.

GaryL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts