TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to clean the air filter on my TW. But, living on an island, no air filter oil is available. I read in an older post (2007) where someone recommended 10W30. Is this still a viable option?

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Bar oil is good. Engine oil is fine. Use the cheapest you can find. I keep a bottle of cheap SAE40 straight weight on the shelf just for oiling air filters.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I like UniFilter oil as it is real sticky and appears to catch more dirt than motor oil. I discovered that some old (but new/clean) 90 weight gear oil I had lying around has similar gooey characteristics. I was concerned the sulfur content might degrade the foam but have not noticed any problem so far in over 6000 miles. It does take a bit of finesse to distribute it evenly without over oiling, however.

regards, mac

·
Registered
181 Posts
i believe its a vegetable based "sticky" filter oil (as opposed to petrol based, which you generally need to clean in solvent or gas) , spray it on your filter and knead it to get it worked into the foam evenly.

the no toil brand comes with a cleaner, looks like soap detergent granules. soapy "no toil water" makes cleaning the filter a snap, dunk it squeeze it out a few times, let 'er dry and re-oil ( i use rubber gloves to re-oil).

Least messy stuff I've found, but then again have never used motor oil.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I've never used the veggie stuff, but I don't see why it wouldn't be fine. I used to use glycerine on some of my old gofast stuff.

I put my filters in a Ziplock bag to work the oil into them. No mess.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Concerning gear oil: Too viscous. Would be like running with the choke on.

You want something with catches majopr particles, yet allows air to pass.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've never used the veggie stuff, but I don't see why it wouldn't be fine. I used to use glycerine on some of my old gofast stuff.

I put my filters in a Ziplock bag to work the oil into them. No mess.

I ruin 1.6 t shirts per month doing crap like oiling my filter, changing oil, fixing something etc

I just kinda thought of it as normal operating cost of being me.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I ruin 1.6 t shirts per month doing crap like oiling my filter, changing oil, fixing something etc

I just kinda thought of it as normal operating cost of being me.

I hear ya. Oil changes are my nemesis. I can do one with surgical precision. Drain the case, clean both filters and refill without so much as a drop spilled, smile with pride then trip over the drain pan as I walk away.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Concerning gear oil: Too viscous. Would be like running with the choke on.

You want something with catches majopr particles, yet allows air to pass.

This could be a potential problem, but respectfully I must reply that I have been using 80/90wt multi-purpose gear lube for a couple of years now with excellent results. No sign of a rich condition, to the contrary she runs lean as ever. However as I mentioned before one must be a bit crafty to get it evenly distributed without over oiling. In fact it does not take much oil to do the job, just more time and effort to work it in. Done properly no excess will be dripping out. I would not recommend heavier than 90wt. I also would not recommend it for a quick re-oil or on a large 'sock' type foam filter. I used motor oil for years on foam filters, tried 90wt and like it. It's viscosity is roughly equivalent to 20w50 motor oil.

regards, mac

P.S. do not wear your good tee shirt while performing these procedures.

·
Registered
184 Posts
No Toil's stuff is great. Been using it for years on my MX'ers filters that got changed/cleaned weekly.

Never had any engine problems at all(and they got torn into often for regular rings/rebuilds) or using it on the TW's OEM filter or the UNI I made for it.

The thing I like most about it is you can clean your air filter in your kitchen sink with their cleaner, well, WITHOUT ticking your significant other off.

Or in your washing machine, if you have a few to clean at the same time....and no harsh solvents are involved.

My MX bike's filters were cleaned and changed a lot more often, but they were also exposed to much more harsh environments than the TW filter. They were covered in dirt, dust, and/or mud after every ride.

The element was exposed to a lot more open air, and flowing a lot more air, not like the air intake system on the TW where it's almost totally enclosed.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Some people will use the red K&N filter oil on the foam filters. I've looked around the different bike forums and k&n oil only gets about a 40% approval rating when applied to foam. The biggest complaint against using it it that folks don't feel it's thick enough & it will run off the foam and settle at the bottom of the air box. The people that like it generally re-oil several times a riding season.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts