TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just cleaned my air filter and used 10/30 to oil it. Any problem In doing so? The original oil seemed a lot more viscous and blue in color.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi Jim, No. there is absolutely no problem with the oil you used on your air filter.The original was probably Yamaha brand. The trick is to be sure there isn't too much on the foam. You'll know if you find a puddle in the box!

And Scotti beat me to the response-and he's right, air filter oil is tackier and stays in place-less susceptible to changes in temperature. But, if you don't have any-what you used will not hurt anything.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Jim, No. there is absolutely no problem with the oil you used on your air filter.The original was probably Yamaha brand. The trick is to be sure there isn't too much on the foam. You'll know if you find a puddle in the box!

And Scotti beat me to the response-and he's right, air filter oil is tackier and stays in place-less susceptible to changes in temperature. But, if you don't have any-what you used will not hurt anything.
I rung it out. There was some of the original oil pooling up in the box. Anyway thank you two for the quick response.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with using plain old 10W30 oil to wet your filter.

However, you may find it much easier and much more effective to use this: No-Toil Filter Maintenance Kit 2 Pack - Motorcycle Superstore
It is much more tacky than plain oil but also much easier to clean off the foam element since it is biodegradable.

I have found that it only needs cleaning and replacement half as often as regular dino oil....good stuff. Wash it in the sink with the cleaner...you will be appalled at the amount of dirt going down the drain!
My two pack lasted five years. My foam element is still the original....7 years and 14,500 miles. :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
no toil kit hands down. I keep one in the bike and one in a zip lock clean and dry. I oil it and swap them out very often. that way im ready with a clean one at any time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts