TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the pleasure to ride in some blm land north of twin falls Idaho. Every now and then the road (two ruts in the terrain) would turn to soft sand. Most of the time I had about an 18 inch wide path to navigate. I tried to stay in the power band in second, but the road turned and had unepected rocks, making maintaining speed an issue. Luckily I was barely moving the three times we (riding two up with the misses) dumped it. I have 19 psi in both stock tires. And I am curious how low I could have gone on my air pressure. We were never more than 10 miles from our support truck, and an air compressor was available there. What is a good air pressure on sand?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the same trouble. Got a 244 on order. Lower pressure seems to work best for me in sand but I have a lot of deep gravel roads with sand beds. Tighter tire seems to work better in gravel.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a Shinko 241 on the front and a TW34 on the rear. Both are set at 11 psi for all off road and trail riding. Don't do very much asphalt or double up riding. I ride both western Idaho desert and mountain terrain.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, I plan on going out and about today, I’ll try 11psi and see how it works for me

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
20,629 Posts
A stock tire at 11 psi should be better than at 19psi for off-road fun, they start getting squirrely down below 9psi but sometimes you need even lower pressure front and rear to escape deep snow, sand, or mud where the other option is walking.
Almost any aftermarket tire for the front would likely be more secure at most air pressures.
My favorite replacement was an IRC GP-1 Trials tire that while visually a clone for the Shinko 244 seemed to deliver superior handling on most surfaces. I run 10 to 12 psi front and rear on all surfaces with conventional tires but will drop the ATV rear tire equipped TW as neccesary for flotation in very loose terrain. Main downside is reduced fuel mileage.
Here the consistent positive preference is for the Shinko 241 as a front tire replacement.

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m getting the 241 tire if this crazy summer job ever gets me near my tools to change a tire. Until then if I can master (survive) the stock front tire, I will have improved my skills. I have been working on the road since beginning of May, I don’t want to buy and store a second set of tools and a tire until I get home in November.

Reactions: Fred

·
Super Moderator
5,428 Posts
The main difference between a Shinko 244 and a 241 is in the compound. The 244 is stiffer, which makes it heavier, but it can track in sand at low pressures because of this. Bit noisier on tarmac, and with a slightly heavier turn in on the steering -exactly what you would expect from this tire

The 241 is the forum favourite, and on slick rock can give a mountain goat a run for its money. The softer compound can wear more quickly on tarmac, but the traction is the bonus. As you would suspect, soft rubber and traction are not words commonly associated with riding in sand, but the thing to consider is the 241’s “flexibility”, especially at low pressures

But these “differences” are not as pronounced as you’d think, and they remain subtle until you have time to reflect on them

Depends what you want from a tire …….

1 - 7 of 7 Posts