TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much do the air pressure make. I have a duro on the back and a kenda 270 on front. the bike is kinda squirrely. I think that I am running 18 pounds in both. do I need to go up in pressure or down. or just get use to it. Thanks Allen :(

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
On the pavement raise the pressure of the Duro and drop it for the gravel / sand.
The front tire no idea - I hate that tire. Go with the trial tire up front and again more pressure when on pavement and low 8 - 10 psi off road.

·
Registered
13,637 Posts
how much do the air pressure make. I have a duro on the back and a kenda 270 on front. the bike is kinda squirrely. I think that I am running 18 pounds in both. do I need to go up in pressure or down. or just get use to it. Thanks Allen :(

(Experiment with psi's.) To get you started, try about 20 psi. in both tires for pavement and about 10-12 psi. for off-road. (Experiment with psi's). Typically you'll have better traction off-road with lower psi. as the tires will grip the dirt, hard-pack dirt better as well as roll over rocks rather than bounce over them. (Experiment with psi's). In sand you can go lower. Higher psi. will provide better traction on pavement as well as better fuel mileage. If I haven't mentioned it yet, experiment with psi's. ...a lot...and then more with different air pressures and find what YOU like and feels comfortable for YOU! (Experiment with psi's.):D

·
Super Moderator
17,932 Posts
22 front, 25 rear, but I'm a fat boy and ride nearly all the time on the street. ;)

·
Registered
20,158 Posts
I would try to determine what is, and eliminate, the source of the "Squirrelly" sensation first before settling on any of our recommended tire air pressures. Vary air pressure in only one tire at a time until a positive response is noted. If no improvement then problem is obviously not pressure.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
The Kendra 270 looks the same as the Shinko Goldenboy. I had the GoldenBoy and hated it from day one. it's unsafe, squirrely, and I would NEVER own another one. Get the Trail tire and that Squirrel will be gone

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
??? I had a Kenda 270 on the front for around 8,000 miles and never considered it squirrely. I liked it a LOT over the OEM Death Wing. But I do agree that currently the Shinko 241 may be the best choice for the majority of us if some decent pavement performance is needed vs. the best deep sand and dirt and mud performance, which would be more like the Kenda 760.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
air pressure was the key. went and put 20 lbs in both tires. went for a ride the squirreliness went away but rode rough. then took 2lbs out of each tire and now in is not to bad. this I can live with. Thanks to everyone. Allen

·
Super Moderator
17,932 Posts
18 and 18 would be the right air pressures for a regularly sized person under 200 lbs for street riding. Not sure on the Duro though. Off road, go much lower on the air pressures. When you get it dialed in just right, it is almost like your bike is glued to the earth, almost...ha ha :p

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was running 10 in the front and 8 in the back at first. I through that I had read that on here somewhere. now I am at 18 psi in both. and doing better. I will be making more adjustments as I go.

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
It should be pointed out that the 18/18 recommendation in the manual is regarding the OEM tires – as soon as you swap those out for some a little more “exotic” – you’re on your own.

Several members here run the same tires as the OP – but again – different usage and rider weights

Elime says 30 psi for a front Heidenau – I run my Heidenau at a max of 18, but drop it for the rough stuff to 16. But I’m 180lbs, and don’t do much high speed (for a TW) road work. Much of my riding involves “picking my way” down some rough roads at 30 mph or less – horses for courses ……

As Admiral says in post #4 – experiment – it’s the only way

The “impression” I get from just over a year on the board, is that you can run a Duro between 10 and 15, and the 270 between 15 and 25 – depends on your circumstances

Quite a wide range – which can also be affected by your combination front and rear – makes it hard to “predict” the results

There is no easy answer to this – so “experiment” ……..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts