TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post your favorite air rifle pic or story here. From your first Daisy BB gun to match pellet gun to them new fangled chinese .50 Dragons.
Here is my little tack driver, a slightly up-scoped RWS Dana 34 in .177 which I shoot at 50 to 90 yrds with 12+ gr pellets for about 2 moa on a calm day.

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
I don't have any to share, but I'm in the market, so I'll be tuning in here. I have a serious racoon problem here. I need a quiet way to take care of them at a distance. Been thinking about a crossbow. But perhaps I need to look along these lines. I am in a city, and want to respect my neighbors. Otherwise the .22 would be used. I have to go out every night, lest Rico become an adversary for the 'coons. I say the coons gotta go.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I'm too settled to go take pictures tonight, but I too have an RWS. And I love my Sheridan Blue Streak. The one I shoot most...a Daisy Buck that is modified with a Chief AJ style adult sized stock I whipped up in the shop. I got all of twenty bucks in it...plus a scrap of wood and some time. :D Great for shooting walnuts off the trees in the fall.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I don't have any to share, but I'm in the market, so I'll be tuning in here. I have a serious racoon problem here. I need a quiet way to take care of them at a distance. Been thinking about a crossbow. But perhaps I need to look along these lines. I am in a city, and want to respect my neighbors. Otherwise the .22 would be used. I have to go out every night, lest Rico become an adversary for the 'coons. I say the coons gotta go.
CB's...

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Shorts, duct tape, and a plastic pop bottle.

Used to shoot in college. Preferred puffer these days is a Crossman 1317 Classic with an accessory or two. Cheap. Simple. Effective on 'coons.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I have been shooting the Benjamin 312's since 1963(?). .177 was the first one (1960?). I rebuilt the valves and seals as a 17 year old. Bought another .22 cal. for $5.00 and rebuilt it. Shot both for many years. My 30 year old son has the .177 now.

Bought a Sheridan Blue Streak in 1971. It is the present "go to gun" for yard varmints. Although, I just rebuilt the .22 Benjamin (again) and it has taken out a magpie or two already this spring.

There a lot of vintage air gun videos on YouTube. However, I just heard about some of the new air guns --.50 cal and larger. I need to know MORE.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yeah. I do have a pump. They'll do. Have to leave the 10/22 behind. I also wish MN would allow suppressors. That would make it quieter.

Qwerty that whole "felony" thing for ANY kind of supressor in MN says to me, it isn't worth the risk. I'll use a short, or CB first, and take my chnces.

Now, back to the air rifles. More for me to learn.

·
Registered
20,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dubzha, if you have a .22 rim fire try some of the subsonic cab caps or qwerty 's short w/
Pop bottle. Not from revolver, too loud.
For an air rifle go with 5mm or .22 Sheridan as they are quieter than crack of faster .177 plus a lot more effective on a raccoon. I am slowly becoming a fan of slower, bigger, heavier calibers for humane kills, save the fast sexy stuff only for long range target fun.

Happy Trails

·
Registered
20,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh the mighty 10/22. Use it with .22 cb cartridge. Mine remains with long rifle loaded parked at door for Mr. Coyote.

Happy Trails

·
Registered
234 Posts
My 8 year old son and I ordered air rifles this winter because of the unavailability of .22 lr. I ordered him a stoeger x3, which has worked well except for trouble maintaining zero . I ordered myself a RWS 48 refurb that arrived with a broken anti-bear trap device. Sent it back for a new RWS 34. 34 was delivered with a cracked stock. Sent it back for a refund, and ordered a fully tuned xs25 from flying dragon air rifles. It shoots ok, but I sure miss the days of cheap .22 rimfire.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
I had a 1,000 shot Daisy Red Ryder. I think my Dad threw it out when I was in my late teens or early 20's. Fully loaded it was muzzle heavy.

I had a Benjamin 310 for a short time. Three pumps would put a steel BB through both sides of a tin can. Man, that was power!!!

.22 BB caps are quiet too. They shoot a .22 lead ball about 700 fps. About the same as a 312 Benjamin.

Silencers / suppressors are a felony in Calif. I think they are legal in 32 states as long as you pay the Federal tax on them.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
For me it's a Hammerli 850 (.17) and a Gamo Extreme (.22). Both are CO2 powered. I have an inoperable torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder, and can't use a pump or lever operated air rifle.

I use them mostly for plinking cans off my back porch, and the occasional squirrel that likes to eat holes in the cedar siding.

They are both as loud as a .22 rim fire, but at least I can get the ammo.

jb

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
20,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I used to trap racoons in a Have-a-Heart live trap to get rid of them. They are actually very easy to trap, just set and go to bed. This keeps neighbors from getting concerned. A errant crossbow bolt flying over a fence or a fleeing wounded racoon could get you in trouble. Urban hunting with a firearm might be a serious crime in some areas whereas using an air rifle or trap might let you slip through a loophole with an understanding cop responding to a complaint. Of course what you do with a pissed off live racoon is up to you. With gloves I would load trap/racoon combo in back of truck and release far away.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I used to trap racoons in a Have-a-Heart live trap to get rid of them. They are actually very easy to trap, just set and go to bed. This keeps neighbors from getting concerned. A errant crossbow bolt flying over a fence or a fleeing wounded racoon could get you in trouble. Urban hunting with a firearm might be a serious crime in some areas whereas using an air rifle or trap might let you slip through a loophole with an understanding cop responding to a complaint. Of course what you do with a pissed off live racoon is up to you. With gloves I would load trap/racoon combo in back of truck and release far away.
i trapped one that was pulling up my new grass... broke the cage and escaped.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts