TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the swingarm need to come off for airbox removal? I would like to keep it as a roller for now. I did get the panel with the screen off, which was a PIA. I’ve searched high and low and the few threads I’ve found seem to suggest the swingarm has to be removed first. Any advice would be appreciated or pictures.

I’m not doing a hollow or naked mod. Just want to do a complete teardown and cleanup. My bike runs like a champ, but I’m seeing some signs of improper wiring and some stuff that’s tweaked. Nothing major, but now I feel like I have to go over everything. Cheers and thanks.

·
Registered
13,657 Posts
It's been a long time ago since I removed everything from my first TW to repaint it. I remembered I removed the airbox but couldn't remember what I removed beforehand. Then I found this old picture and because the airbox is already removed and the TW is not completely torn down yet, I would say I was able to remove the airbox without removing the swingarm. I do remember it was a struggle removing and putting back in the airbox but not horrible.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Admiral. Your picture reminded me that I can hang the back of the bike from ceiling supports. That’ll make everything safer and easier to work with. I’ll keep plugging away. Cheers

·
Registered
13,657 Posts
That MUST be a really old picture. Not that that makes YOU really old. There is a tool in view that looks like it could be used as a rifle rest - but it isn't a hammer!

Yep, before the hammer was a thing. No wait, it wasn't that long ago. Or was it? I can't remember. Is not being able to remember mean it was a long time ago or...I forgot what I was thinking. In case I haven't mentioned it, yep, before the hammer was a thing. What was the question? View attachment 142633

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also - anyone know what this is, was, or should be? Looks to be wrapped with electrical tape and not exactly factory fresh. It exits the wiring loom above the CDI and terminates there. Two wires - white on blue and black on blue. Cheers

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,996 Posts
If you have a wiring diagram for your bike, you should be able to trace it.

Has anything been disabled such as the kickstand safety? Has the CDI or the coil been replaced? Just throwing stuff out there...?? :confused:

·
Registered
13,657 Posts
Also - anyone know what this is, was, or should be? Looks to be wrapped with electrical tape and not exactly factory fresh. It exits the wiring loom above the CDI and terminates there. Two wires - white on blue and black on blue. Cheers
It is a dummy or dead end. Ours is mounted in the same place when zip tied to the frame.

Yours

Mine

Yours

Mine

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Admiral. If I jump these wires, will it regrow the kickstarter that they stole from us?

Seriously though, could this be used to power an accessory? I’m clueless about wiring. I have a nice multimeter, but haven’t taken the time to learn how to use it yet.

Like LT said, I should really study the wiring diagram. Cheers

·
Registered
13,657 Posts
Thanks Admiral. If I jump these wires, will it regrow the kickstarter that they stole from us?

Seriously though, could this be used to power an accessory? I’m clueless about wiring. I have a nice multimeter, but haven’t taken the time to learn how to use it yet.

Like LT said, I should really study the wiring diagram. Cheers
Grow a kick starter, that is funny but I wish it were true. Might cost less than finding one or putting one together from individual parts. Quicker too!

I wonder if the wiring harness is common for multiple motorcycles and this dead end is something else on another one. No idea if it could be used as a power source and all I've done is looked at it. It reminds me of an appendix in our bodies. It's there but basically useless.:p My pictures are from last night because it was just killing me not knowing if my TW's had the same thing. :D

·
Registered
746 Posts
Blue/white and blue/black sounds like the run/kill circuit. On '01 and later, that circuit is simplified into one wire which must be grounded to run. It follows a circuitous route through the various safety switches, kill switches etc. Even some bypasses e.g. in gear it won't start unless the clutch is pulled. Any break in that circuit and it won't start.
That connector could be a "hot wire" connection so a service tech can plug a jumper in to temporarily bypass all of the safety switches.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for getting that picture. I can stop scratching my head over that and move on to the next itch. Cheers

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
This makes sense. Looks like there is a cap that covers a plug-in slot.

Service Manual says it’s a Diode and it doesn’t even show up on parts diagram. Wiring diagram says it’s the clutch switch.

Blue/white and blue/black sounds like the run/kill circuit. On '01 and later, that circuit is simplified into one wire which must be grounded to run. It follows a circuitous route through the various safety switches, kill switches etc. Even some bypasses e.g. in gear it won't start unless the clutch is pulled. Any break in that circuit and it won't start.
That connector could be a "hot wire" connection so a service tech can plug a jumper in to temporarily bypass all of the safety switches.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts