TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hauled my tw. down 395 to Alabama Hills outside Lone Pine, CA for a 50 mile ride there, then moved to Eureka Dunes for a 115 mile ride through Hidden Valley, Steel Pass to Warm Springs, Saline Valley, Marble Canyon, and back via Death Valley Road. Next Upper Eureka Valley, Fish Lake and on to Bristlecones. I will post some pics now and video if I can.

Since my fotune cookie said "Remember to stop in the pursuit of happiness to have some happiness" so I stopped @ Travertine Hot Springs for a soak on the drive down. P1010281.JPG P1010294.JPG Naked nubiles abounded at lower pools since this is California after all.
Next off to spend the night @ Alabama Hills and wander the Hoo-Doos under bright moon.Next day I spent a few hours wandereing and 50 miles riding this area. P1010338.JPG P1010454.JPG P1010346.JPG There are several square miles of bizarre granite shapes great to ride , hike, scramble,climb, etc. I took better photos but camera decided to suddenly take 5mb and larger file size so cannot post.

·
Registered
19,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After refueling in Lone Pine I needed 1.0 gallon after only 50.6 miles of riding due to ATV tire and low gearing. If I remember my higher math this works out to exactly piss poor milage since next adventure is a planned 105 to 115 mile loop from Eureka Dunes through Steel Pass, Hidden Valley, Saline Valley Warm Springs, Saline Valley and Marble Canyon and I have only a stock tank. So I left a gallon jug of gas catched in joshoa tree forest where I could find it some 75 miles into my ride. I hiked the dunes at night and there was nobody else camped that night, silence was astounding, moonlight sublime. P1010458.JPG P1010469.JPG P1010463.JPG P1010483.JPG P1010485.JPG

·
Registered
19,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After a hot meal, campfire, dune walk and good nights sleep in the Mother Ship ( white van) I got up in the mid-30's put on armour, fleece and down and headed out to Saline Valley where things just got hot. First hint I was getting close to warm springs was a naked lady just walking down the arroyo wearing only her sandals. "Good Morning" says I to first person I have seen in many a mile. Actual springs were beautiful, clean and inhabited by the nicest bunch of nudists imaginable. After a good soak and visit with the locals I packed fleece, jacket and down vest away and hit the trail which became very smooth and mostly 5th gear for next 30 miles to Marble canyon. A little snow in the hi country had me diggin for coat again. P1010492.JPG P1010494.JPG P1010495.JPG P1010498.JPG P1010508.JPG

·
Registered
19,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After finding my fuel depot and giving my TWMistress a much needed drink of 87 octane we were off to explore more mines and Upper Eureka Valley. Returning to the Dunes I loaded up the Mother Ship and headed north to Marble Canyon ( lots of them around), Opal canyon ,Willow Canyon, Fish Lake ( no fish, no lake) and eventually to White Mtns and Bristlecone Monument. P1010568.JPG P1010595.JPG P1010604.JPG P1010612.JPG P1010610.JPG

·
Registered
19,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Road to Bristlecones was closed 8 miles up for the winter so I zoomed up practicing my rarely used road bike skills, what a gas.Just me, some deer and a few Harley riders untill I got to Grandview campground a truely well named place. P1010625.JPG P1010631.JPG P1010634.JPG P1010636.JPG P1010667.JPG Once out of high country I saw a sign for "Carma" so off I went to find this radio telescope array appearantly under contruction. Bizzare. Nobody around, good finish for my "Desert Solitaire" adventure.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Damn Fred, slow down! I think you hit about every one of my favorite hot spots in one trip. The Saline Valley hot springs is on my to do list. Inyo and Mono counties are my favorite places to explore.

·
Registered
19,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The main P1010487.JPG P1010489.JPG P1010471.JPG P1010500.JPG P1010488.JPG road in saline Valley is in very good condition this year, well graded unlike last year when flood damage made it mighty rough. You should go. Actually there were thirty or so people there in a great variety of rigs, all with sun shades of some sort.After the effort and emptiness to get there the springs felt crowded. I felt exposed to sun with only the bike, but I am more used to forests.These are more pics from Upper Warm Springs and the ride down through Steel Pass, trailside art and the main warm springs. Very nice day on the TW once I was confident I wouldn"t run out of gas. Cold morning with slow technical deep loose sand, rocks,off cambers then hot with smoooooth hard high speed sand, graded gravel then climbing through pinon forests, snow, mud; then back down again. Then up another pass, down again...typical basin and range but in Death Valley area the changes in elevation seem more extreme.

·
Registered
19,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why thank you folks, beautifull country makes easy photos. You know Admiral the Alabama Hills are is very ATV friendly so your wife and Georgie could explore for days there. Lots of pockets of shade, mini blow-hole caves, towering escarpemnts and miles of trails to explore.. Just a long day's drive down 395 from Sand Hollow puts you there and the drive is pretty too.
Can anyone recommend software and technique to A) get video out of cell and point-n-shoot cameras into computer , edit and upload to forum?
B) reduce photo file size to less than 5mb for uploading to forum?
I ask since I have a lot of better imagery to share but do not know how to manage digital files.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pics Fred. I led a group of trucks through eureka-steel-springs on the weekend of 7-9th. I will tell you descending down into the wash from steel pass in the dark toward the springs, trying to find the right path has a high level of suckiness. Next time you are in the area you sould check out cottonwood/marble canyons (near stove pipe). On our last day we went out warm springs road over mengel pass and through goler wash-good times.

·
Registered
19,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like full moon adventures so if day runs long I can navigate by moonlight. Trail below Steel Pass was very sketchy at times.I would not want try it in the dark

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More Alabama hills

·
Registered
19,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hwy 395 views

·
Registered
13,352 Posts
Can anyone recommend software and technique to A) get video out of cell and point-n-shoot cameras into computer , edit and upload to forum?
B) reduce photo file size to less than 5mb for uploading to forum?
I ask since I have a lot of better imagery to share but do not know how to manage digital files.
If you haven't already, you may want to review this thread: http://tw200forum.com/forum/test-forum/7611-how-post-photos-videos-version-ii.html

I use PC not MAC so this is what I'll try to describe. These procedure's are "A WAY", but not the only way.:)

Pictures:
Assmuming you downloaded your photo files to your desk top. Prior to uploading to a photo-hosting site (Photobucket or Picasaweb for example) I resize the photo's in Microsoft Office Picture Manager. Click Edit Pictures, Click Resize. There are options here, but this is what I do at this point, Click dropdown, I pick, Document - Small 800x600 px, but you can choose something different. Click ok, then save. Photo is now resized for upload to photo-host site. Note: You can also resize photo's after uploading in the photo-host, but I choose to resize prior to upload (personal preference). After photo's are uploaded, use the specified directions from the link above to post into the forum.

Though I've not tried uploading photo's directly from my PC to the forum Gallery, I'm guessing you can still resize and upload bypassing the photo-host. Again, I've not tried this and it's my personal preference to use a photo-hosting site.

Video. This is kind of a can of worms as there are so many software programs that deal with editing video. I'm just gonna tell you what I do because I'm lazy. (I use to use Microsoft Movie Maker, but it doesn't recognize my ".mov" file format without converting first (older version of MMaker), so I just upload my raw video to youtube (had to set up free account). Youtube has some editing options. I usually "Trim" a file to what I think most would want to see. I then will use youtube video editor to link several of my trimmed files to make one. Still long and tedious in my book, but gets the job done.

Sorry this is such general information, but there are so many options. I will say, once you get the knack of doing the movies, it ain't so bad or tedious. I'm a slow learner, so it took me a while. Hope this helps a bit.

One more thing. I also use a SD or Micro SD card USB port adapter to upload my files instead of playing around with different camera cords and what not. Again, just a personal preference.

·
Registered
19,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Admiral for taking time for such concise intelligent help on pic/ video posting.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts