TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
We love this place since we got our bikes we have been up there twice. There is some great riding all over the area. We didn't do any radical single track like what you show. When it's cooler I want to go east towards Death Valley it seems there is some good tracks over there too.

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Admiral nailed it. This was just a teaser re-run from a trip last year I re-posted today in hopes of inspiring others to get out riding. Haven't been any good ride videos since Admiral's last North Idaho adventure.
Nestled between 14,000ft plus Mt Whitney and Death Valley ( parts of which are below sea level) lies this interesting group of landforms called Alabama Hills. Lone Pine,California is the nearer town. This is certainly a fun place to explore on foot in a vehicle, or astride a TW.

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While I have previously camped there with my wife, my cat and my dogs on my last solo trip this old dog showed up looking a bit wore out. So I gave him food and drink and he then ambled of with nary a "Thanks Partner"

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While Alabama Hills are at about 4,600 ft one can immediately TW into the high country to Whitney Portal @ about 8,400 ft or Horseshoe Meadows right at 10,000 ft.

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah, take the TW! After all only so much trouble 13 hp can cause.:rolleyes: TW takes a bit over half an hour to climb the 5,500 ft of elevation gain from hot Owens Valley to wilderness trailheads at Horseshoe Meadow's 10,000 ft.
Takes a bit longer if there you see ice patches on the road. Possibly a lot longer if you don't see the ice and don't avoid in time...slippery stuff at any speed.:eek:

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And not too far away is the Bristlecone National Monument, another place one can TW up to 10,000 ft, park then just a short hike and wander through these 4,000 plus year old trees. Amazing experience. To void vandalism they do not identify how to find the 4,500 year old Methusulah Tree but otherwise one is free to roam and explore as much as the rareified air permits. 10,000 or11,000 is OK but the 14,000+ summit needs an overnight acclimation down lower. poster-knorrige-grannenkiefern-auf-einem-hang-154166.jpg img_7663.jpg bea1882f72cc8fe94d8ae0ac0967bf28.jpg

One can ride/drive a bit further to the 11,650ft high trailhead that leads to the 14,246 summit to White Mtn making it the easiest 14,000 footer you will ever likely encounter...no mountaineering experience or equipment needed. event_166691012.jpeg

One can get acclimated by an overnight bivy just outside the monument @~9,500 ft or enjoy the infrastructure and views at gorgeous Grandview Campground further down the Mtn. @ 8,600ft. grandview 1.jpg

·
Registered
793 Posts
Fred,s the poster man for "Getting High on a TW". What would Grampa say?
"Why aren't you high boy?"
Makes me yearn to get high too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts