TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
image.jpg image.jpg

All one has to do is watch Youtube videos on how easy it is to Steal a Motorcycle. It will make the hair stand up on the back of your head. I need peace of mind so I did some homework on the available alarms. I chose the Scorpio SR-I 900 with the optional Perimeter Sensor. Don't buy the optional factory connector kit. The supplied connectors work perfect and make for a clean install. See in the top left of picture one. The 4 connectors connecting to signals tail and ground. They recommend that the antenna to be installed straight up. I brought the single wire antenna down into the tool compartment secured it with duct tape right where the antenna leads starts off from the wire. They want you to keep the antenna away from metal so I secured it to the harness with green tie wraps. See picture one right side.
Picture two shows how well the system fits under the seat. Inside the plastic bag is the Optional Perimeter Sensor. I put it in the plastic bag because it's not water proof. Secure it under the rubber battery strap. There is a sensitivity adjustment start out with it in the factory setting. I increased the sensitivity on the original install. I made it too sensitive and dialed it back today.
After originally installing the system I thought it was broke. You have to leave the remote 10 feet away from the bike for it to alarm. They do this because the default setting is to stay armed. When your within 10 feet of the system it detects the remote and won't sound. Nice feature.
The coolest feature of this system is the system will page you within half of a mile to the remote. It will buzz and chirp.
The Perimeter alarm works great. If you get up on the bike it will chirp. Stay to long and the alarm will sound.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went to Dicks today. Shopped around for about an hour even left my pack on the back. Complete peace of mind.

·
Super Moderator
17,983 Posts
Yeah, these bikes can be gone in just a few seconds, couple beefy guys like me, pitch it in the back of the truck and gone, 15 seconds. Then they end up over in Idaho (ha ha Admiral) on some guy's farm and it never get's seen or registered again. I use a Gorilla alarm with remote pager on mine (and it is loud and a real screamer), along with a bully lock and a heavy duty chain and lock if I have to park it away from the house for any extended period of time.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, these bikes can be gone in just a few seconds, couple beefy guys like me, pitch it in the back of the truck and gone, 15 seconds. Then they end up over in Idaho (ha ha Admiral) on some guy's farm and it never get's seen or registered again. I use a Gorilla alarm with remote pager on mine (and it is loud and a real screamer), along with a bully lock and a heavy duty chain and lock if I have to park it away from the house for any extended period of time.
I also keep a cable in my pack. Nothing worst then having something Jacked. I was wondering about the Gorilla alarm. Sounds like that is an excellent alarm as well.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update on alarm. If I leave the perimeter sensor on after 4 days it drains my battery. I've had some problems with my battery. I will up date after I install a new battery

·
Super Moderator
17,983 Posts
Like the Gorilla alarm, I assume they are built to draw only a little off the battery. It must be your battery. Let us know what you find. I always arm mine and it can sit out in the garage for quite a while with no problems starting right up.

·
Registered
263 Posts
can the perimeter alarm be disabled, if the bike is kept in a garage where it may not be needed, to save on the battery?

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can the perimeter alarm be disabled, if the bike is kept in a garage where it may not be needed, to save on the battery?
Yes it can very easy. It's a feature that can be turned on and off. I turned off the automatic alarming function so I could turn it on and off as needed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Is the perimeter radius adjustable? You mentioned 10' which seems sort of big, seeing as though it would ready for someone just strolling by to set it off.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it is adjustable. That's why I said to leave it a factory setting first. I increased my setting when I first installed it and it was to sensitive. I dialed it back. If someone gets close it gives a warning beep. They stay to long and it will alarm. I like warning beeps. Let's someone know my bike has an alarm and not to touch it. It pages you only when the alarm is tripped not on warning beeps

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I read reviews on a few alarms. Looked at the features I wanted in an alarm and pulled the trigger. You know sometimes we just have to stop pulling our hair out tiring to decide what's best. I can drive myself crazy reading reviews. I think the Gorilla alarm would be fine as well. My biggest concern was... Was it going to fit under the seat. I was extremely happy on how clean the install turned out and I'm satisfied in my decision. I would buy it again.
The only thing you might want to check on is, how many days will the alarm protect your bike before the bike battery goes dead. Mine lasted 4 days but I think my battery is weak. I left my key on with the head light on for about 15 minutes one day and it killed my battery. I'm not going to replace my battery until next spring. I use a battery tender at home.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I sewed in a piece of a keychain to the inside of my vest pocket. It works perfect securing my remote. It's long enough that I don't have to unhook it to use it. image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
263 Posts
That's an icon vest isn't it? I was looking at one for myself. I looked up that alarm, the manufacturer sells it cheaper than other retail places. That Alan has a lot going for versus other alarms.

So, you think if the bike is used regularly, there should be little to no issues with the battery drain?

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's an iicon vest I love it. There cut small if u order it online.
I mainly wanted it when I was out and I like it. You might want to call the company and ask them how long it should last on the battery. I disable the perimeter sensor at home and keep my bike on a battery tender.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update it's my battery not the alarm system. My battery totally died in one day with no load.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ahhhh. Well update when you put a new battery in, I'm still interested in this since there is a good chance I'll be moving next summer and want to take Dubella with me strapped to the back of the 4 runner.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ahhhh. Well update when you put a new battery in, I'm still interested in this since there is a good chance I'll be moving next summer and want to take Dubella with me strapped to the back of the 4 runner.
You got it. I ordered a YUASA YB7C-A. I have had such good luck with these batteries. I bought a Honda 300 4Wheeler in 1993. I'm on my second battery and it still starts. It sits in the barn and I have never put a tender on it. It sits for months sometimes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts