TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would start a thread as it seems this might be a reality.

It is a bit over 1800mi from my place to Haines junction. What we need to do is figure how many miles a day the slowest rider wants to achieve. I don't want this to be a killer ride, if we can't enjoy it, no use in going. Remember, we can do some trading off as we will have the truck. Figure 50-55 for traveling. Will have plenty of gas and oil along with those parts that might let go, chains, tires etc. I guess we need to get the want list up and going.

All will need passports for this even taking the ferry. We will be going through the Yukon territory of Canada and I am sure they have border crossing checkpoints on the Haines hwy. If you have any issues, dui, domestic violence, and such things you will have to sit this ride out or take the ferry all the way to Whittier.

Will need to put this together as timing to meet up at Haines Junction we don't want to spend too much time, maybe a lazy day of rest and maintenance. There is a huge lake with some monster Lake Trout just up the road a ways. There is a 65lb one hanging on the wall at the small station there. A good place to eat and fuel up also.

This is just a teaser to get us thinking of doing this. Start putting away a few scheckles each month.

I do have a place in Palmer where we can stay and do some backcountry rides. Town is not far away. Also I have a friend down on the Kenai we can hook up with if anyone wants to put a hook in the river. If the fish are in in Homer, there is a place where you can snag them with no bait. Is called the snagging hole. Fish are hatched there and when they come back there is nowhere for them to spawn.

I will be packing hardware for camp safety. Of course a nice motel and hot shower now and then to sooth those special places is a must.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
sounds like a great plan! what are you roughly allocating, 3 weeks? a month?

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like a great plan! what are you roughly allocating, 3 weeks? a month?
To do it right, a month might work. This is a ride that you can't just pick up and go. It will take some serious planning. To do the ferry to Haines is an expensive trip. To ride it from Washington to Ak on the bikes it would be cheaper if doing some camping, but not doing motels along the way. Doing 200 mi a day will take 12days going and coming. I will say 200 mi a day is a challenge in it's self for an extended time, speaking for myself of course. Weather can set in at any time, breakdowns, breaks and all take time from moving along.

This is an epic ride for a TW, only serious riders should contemplate a journey like this. Know going in there will be no whining or negetivity accepted on this ride. Attitudes will be made to ride well back in the dust. Think of it as a one in a lifetime ride to enjoy and really take in the beauty of the Yukon, some of it's gold country and as much of Ak as you can see. Taking a fishing pole along for tasty grayling for breakfast is a real treat.

If some of you hard core TW riders want to take this on, let us get the ball going as to which way we want to travel, meet up and such things. For me, I will be taking a couple of TW's, my truck and travel trailer. Cooking does not have to be made over an open fire and if a bike goes down in some faraway place we will be able to rescue it or have the tools and extras to put it on the road. Not to mention if anyone has an encounter with a buffalo, we will have a place of comfort to get to a repair station.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
I can only dream that someday I could do this. For anyone going, get a good seat pad!
Awesome idea I hope this works out for some of you!

To do it right, a month might work. This is a ride that you can't just pick up and go. It will take some serious planning. To do the ferry to Haines is an expensive trip. To ride it from Washington to Ak on the bikes it would be cheaper if doing some camping, but not doing motels along the way. Doing 200 mi a day will take 12days going and coming. I will say 200 mi a day is a challenge in it's self for an extended time, speaking for myself of course. Weather can set in at any time, breakdowns, breaks and all take time from moving along.

This is an epic ride for a TW, only serious riders should contemplate a journey like this. Know going in there will be no whining or negetivity accepted on this ride. Attitudes will be made to ride well back in the dust. Think of it as a one in a lifetime ride to enjoy and really take in the beauty of the Yukon, some of it's gold country and as much of Ak as you can see. Taking a fishing pole along for tasty grayling for breakfast is a real treat.

If some of you hard core TW riders want to take this on, let us get the ball going as to which way we want to travel, meet up and such things. For me, I will be taking a couple of TW's, my truck and travel trailer. Cooking does not have to be made over an open fire and if a bike goes down in some faraway place we will be able to rescue it or have the tools and extras to put it on the road. Not to mention if anyone has an encounter with a buffalo, we will have a place of comfort to get to a repair station.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I am so in for this! However, plumb, I think you have the right idea with bringing a truck and camper. I love riding my TW, but I don't think I'd enjoy this kind of mileage on it. I'm not TWilight. :p

I'm going to throw this out there...What do you think about opening this up to a camper convoy?

Experience from your place this past weekend and Moab shows that several dubbers like to roll with a camper, rv, trailer, 5th wheel, toy hauler, and even an Astro van! We also know that we are a frugal, neigh, economical bunch. You have mentioned costs. Wowza, I looked up the ferry prices...uh nope! Camping off of the bike is fun on the weekend, but a month is not for this kid. Hotels nearly every night and purchasing most meals would also be cost prohibitive for myself and probably others. Costs, comfort, familiarity, speed, and safety are all strong reasons to me to go this route instead of a straight up ride. I don't want to discourage anyone that may want to ride the whole thing though!

Maybe plan to drive a few hundred miles a day (or from planned location to planned location) then unload the bikes and ride around the backroads/trails/etc. for a few hours exploring, then camp out and have a familiar cozy bed to sleep in nightly. In vehicles we could all move a little faster taking less total time for those that don't get a month off. We can say, "Join us for as long or as far as you can." Some may come for a week or two, but cannot make the full trip and have to turn back. At least they'd be in a vehicle and not on a small bike, so we could give them a warm sendoff as they head for home without worry weighing us down.

I'm getting more and more excited about this as I sit here thinking and typing! I'd rather do this than Moab next year. It seems like a more exciting use of my vacation days for the upcoming year. Maybe others will see it the same way and shift their planning here instead for 2017. It'd be great to get a decent sized group together to enjoy this.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Sorry about the hijack, but let me ask you PAC Norwesters something. Hypothetically, would it be practical to ride south from Seattle to Las Vegas in late October? I'd want to ride Forest and back roads down through the eastern parts of the states and into Nevada. Is that too late? I've never been to that neck of the woods.

·
Registered
13,352 Posts
Sorry about the hijack, but let me ask you PAC Norwesters something. Hypothetically, would it be practical to ride south from Seattle to Las Vegas in late October? I'd want to ride Forest and back roads down through the eastern parts of the states and into Nevada. Is that too late? I've never been to that neck of the woods.
Short answer. Here in Idaho you are generally good to go in October. We've still been riding high up on Columbus Day weekend without snow. The key word is generally and most likely you will be fine with the exception of the very highest passes. You can always alter your route if need be.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Thanks, Admiral. Looks like I'd have to cross over the mountains somewhere along the line. Via the scenic route.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Short answer. Here in Idaho you are generally good to go in October. We've still been riding high up on Columbus Day weekend without snow. The key word is generally and most likely you will be fine with the exception of the very highest passes. You can always alter your route if need be.
I was going to say the same thing...mountain passes; that's about the only worry... Usually... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Thanks Mike and Tommy, too. Still speculating at this point, but if I end this summers ride in Seattle, I don't want to have painted myself into a corner. So I guess that's cool!

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Mike and Tommy, too. Still speculating at this point, but if I end this summers ride in Seattle, I don't want to have painted myself into a corner. So I guess that's cool!
Sounds perfect to end near here. A good place to start the trip to AK next summer. I have a friend on the Kenai that has space for parking. Would be nice to fill a freezer with salmon for the trip back. When I go up will take one and a genset to keep it cold. Was hoping to get up this year, but too many other things got in the way. Forsure will be going up next year whether we TW's make or not.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Don't you guys pass me by without giving me a shout out and I'll buy lunch!! I'd like to meet you folks!! :D

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
Washington Larry's camper convoy idea would really make sense during those inevitable rainy periods. Otherwise with the original idea of a chain of daily motels/roadhouses we would be obligated to pound out the miles rain or shine in order to make the lodging reservations. Same for if a mechanical issue forces a delay then a subsequent really long day might be required to get back on the itinerary. Guess you bachelor types have about a year to find a nice girlfriend to drive your rig on those sunny days you wish to ride, and to keep you comfortable and warm on those rainy transfer days when we just haul the TWs from one local to the next.

P.S. October ride from Seattle to Los Vegas should not be problematic on TWs. Watch the weather and if nasty stay between coastal rain forests and snowy inland mountains. If nice then world is your oyster...follow coastal highways south 'till mid-california eating salmon and crab, then head east to sample Sierras like Yosemite and Death Valley again. Swing by my place for a shower, oil change and steak dinner.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
P.S. October ride from Seattle to Los Vegas should not be problematic on TWs. Watch the weather and if nasty stay between coastal rain forests and snowy inland mountains. If nice then world is your oyster...follow coastal highways south 'till mid-california eating salmon and crab, then head east to sample Sierras like Yosemite and Death Valley again. Swing by my place for a shower, oil change and steak dinner.
No donuts??? :icon_scratch: :crybaby2:

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To be realistic for the Alaska run with a convoy of rigs and trailers, I would like to say a week for travel each way. There are also options of those that don't want to make the journey fly up and connect with us travelers if you don't have the time to spend on the road. Some of us will most likely be solo and some with room for one, just an option.

I say a week each way to be able to take in a few sidetrips, do a motel or two along the way for a night, fix any break downs we might have. We are going as a group, we need to take care of each other for any needs. Start an Alaskan fund now, it won't hurt so bad next year.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts