TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Two days ago on Tuesday, Dec. 20, I had a total knee replacement on my right leg. I got out of surgery around noon and by about 6:30 that evening, the Physical Terrorist had me up and walking (using a walker, of course!). Just one night in the hospital and then I was discharged around noon on Wednesday.

The surgery went very well but the best thing is that they put in an line in my upper thigh that is connected to a pressurized sphere that was about the size of a softball and contains a local anesthetic. This provides a steady supply of the anesthetic to the sensory nerve bundle for my knee and keeps the whole front of my knee numb. It is set on the lowest delivery rate and should last another couple of days which should be enough to get me through the worst of things. All I can say is that this thing is amazing! I can honestly state that my pain level around the knee continues to be zero. Today I am noticing a little soreness in my lower calf and upper thigh muscles, but that is the only discomfort that I have had so far. After the pump runs out (it is now about the size of a baseball) I will have to rely on oral meds for pain control. Too bad I can't just get this pump refilled!

My new knee already has a greater range of motion than my old crunchy one (payment for 30 plus years of distance running and kicking over old dirt bikes). I have to give myself injections to help prevent blood clots and need to redress the bandages over the incision until it stops leaking (didn't they used to have nurses do this?). Next week I start PT (Pain and Torture) in earnest.

I tried to talk my surgeon into cutting a little zig-zag over my kneecap so I wouldn't have just another boring, straight line incision. I think that he was actually considering it but he decided not to, figuring that the PT guys would assume that he had just slipped and would report him.

It looks like I may actually be able to enjoy my sons being home for Christmas. I had assumed that I would just be a suffering blob in bed the whole time they were here.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Heal fast. Loved the zig zag idea. I am probably right behind you on at least one knee, wrecked the acl's in both, fixed the left one. The right knee is starting to hurt. Bionic man coming true.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
My best friend, 67, just had his left knee done and I was thrilled he finally went for it. It has been a little over a month now and he is doing pretty well on it. The first week he did not have your pump gadget so he was doped up pretty good and still feeling quite a lot of pain. He did make the classic mistake of weening off the meds far too early because he hates being dopey. Had to go to the ER for an injection around the fourth day after he refused to take the pain pills and then could not get the pain down with them. I took him to the ER and can tell you for sure to take the damn pills for at least the first week or you could be real sorry. He had abnormally heavy swelling and the doc held him back from PT for a week longer than usual but everyone is different there. I spent the day today with him doing some shopping and he is doing fine without the walker or cane and just moving a bit slower than he would like.

Good luck with your recovery Brian. I know how painful a knee can be and have had surgery twice but so far I don't need the replacement, just the pills every so often when I over do it and I hate them like you would never know. I did have a pal pick me up some medical edible THC candies and I must admit there is some value to the stuff when it is a choice between it and the pills. My best explanation is it will not kill the pain but it does take your mind off of it and you don't get the dopey feeling or the constipation associated with the damn pills.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Brian,
It is always good news when we hear about successful surgeries today. Only time will tell how successful, but several my friends who have had a knee replacement wondered why they waited so long to do it. Get well soon, and still look forward to one of your wrench and rides. So far, timing has not been cooperative.
Get well soon, and Merry Christmas to yu and your family!
Mel

·
Registered
665 Posts
We live in amazing times! Great to hear your recovery is going well. There seems to be a pattern developing concerning these knee and hip surgeries. Have you Brian, ridden with Joemama? I went on a Joemama ride and had hip surgery. Rider21 rode with Joemama just one time and had knee surgery. Even Joemama himself had knee surgery from riding his trails. I think Joemama owes us all a beer! Work hard on your recovery. Dirts a Flyen SanDue??

·
Super Moderator
17,945 Posts
Glad you are doing so well Brian. Get good rest and take your time getting back on the bikes.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Good for you and heal fast.
My Dad had his done a few years ago and wondered why he didn't have it done sooner rather than live in discomfort.

·
Super Moderator
17,945 Posts
Lump of coal /versus/ knee surgery ?? Hmmm

I think knee surgery is the better gift. ;)

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brian- Hope ya heal quick. Give me a call if you need a hand with anything. Coming back around the 30th if you need help taking down the lights.
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the kind offer! I had a little advance notice of this surgery, so I took the minimalist approach to Christmas decorating this year.

I might have to plan a "Wrench & Ride (my bikes)" event to see if I could get some volunteers to take my bikes out for a spin to get some gas flowing through the carbs :rolleyes:.

Brian

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience with your surgery and good luck on your recovery. My mom need a knee and is suffering badly I am hoping she will finally decide enough is enough and get a knee.

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Best wishes for a speedy recovery Brian. A friend just had his knee replaced yesterday but he didn't get the ball of local anesthetic which seems so beneficial to your pain management.
I just wish that I could get this thing refilled rather than having to start taking oral meds (Narcotics) when it runs out :(!

IMG_7602 (2).jpg

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
I was going to ask what is in the On-Q Pain Relief Pump but looked it up myself:
What medication is in on Q pump?

Use with medications other than local anesthetics. The ON-Q pump is designed to deliver local anesthetics to surgical sites for non-narcotic pain relief. The company's product information suggests using ropivacaine, bupivacaine, or lidocaine.

I will forward this to my pal, the chiropractor with the fresh knee.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The narcotics affect people differently. I'm 8 wks post op and still on Tramadol after going through Dilaudid and Hydrocodone. Mixed things up a bit to maybe lessen withdrawal symptoms. I actually stopped taking the pain pills early on but was unable to sleep at night so started again. The pills don't bother me much as far as the dopey feeling but my brother, who had his knee replaced 3 weeks before me, can't stand them so he gets by with Tylenol. Bryan, the most important thing is getting the range of movement going right away. I'm up to 120 degrees bending but my knee doesn't want to straighten. I've gone to extremes using a board behind my leg and a ratchet strap around my knee and the board to crank my knee down but still not having much luck. My Doc says I must be prone to having lots of scar tissue buildup. I guess I'll be walking with a limp permanently.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
"The narcotics affect people differently"! You are 100% correct there. I can't stand hydrocodone and have to be near tears to even take one while others like them fine to the point of recreational abuse and I think they are nucking futs. That Tramadol was what they gave my buddy in the ER and I have no idea how much but it sure did take care of his pain and quick. I thought it was just an injection thing and not in pill form but I also believe but am not sure that it is non narcotic.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hey Rider21;

FRED SAID: (hee hee) as to the narcotics making people dopey to different degrees: "the dopier you are to begin with - the less you will notice the effects".

Now; didn't you say that they don't bother you much??????? OOps; now I'm in trouble with two people.........

1 - 20 of 55 Posts