TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For more then two years now Tom (Dryden) and I have been dreaming of a wilderness camp and ride. Well about a month ago we set a date and while talking to Scott (JerseyJeeper) who was also dreaming of camping from the TW joined us for a glorious weekend. We had a blast and learned a lot on our three day ride.
We meet Friday at Parker Damn campground in PA, where we spent the night and then wilderness camped the next two nights.
It turned out to be more of a camping trip then exploring miles of roads but this was our first trip and I’m sure we will do this again.
I don’t have time tonight to continue but I’m sure Tom and Scott will fill you in on more of our fun.

License plates from three states MD, NY, NJ.
This was taken where we camped the third night

A24740F6-7859-4FDF-B0C0-1A08CF1016EC.jpg

Scott
73827EE3-9827-42BF-B70F-70E373C26B14.jpg

Tom
5B375ED1-9DCC-4BB6-A435-602FFBEB5F6C.jpg

Rick
78993801-1F11-4288-B5D1-2A05E0BBF0D3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Damn I look old as hell...

I have quite a bit to post, pic wise etc. but it's a work day so more later.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts

With ALL due respect you ARE old as hell!!! :p

Tom

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

That's what work is for, isn't it?

Looks like you guys had a great time.
That's a lot of gear... what did it turn out you didn't need? What did you need but didn't bring?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts

That's a lot of gear... what did it turn out you didn't need? What did you need but didn't bring?
Great question! I will keep it short for now because I am hard at work.:) I did not use one pair of silk long johns and one pair of socks. I also had two unused Mountain House entree's. I will do a load out picture and post in the next few days.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts

We didn't need any tools (My whole pelican was a tool box and survival kit, never even opened it). I also had a gallon of gas in a roto pack on that, never needed it but came damn close. That alone added over a foot to the heep on the rear rack.
It was cold so a lot of the space on my bike was blankets. I had a tent and a hammock and slept in the hammock on night one and the tent on night 2&3. I could have just used the tent but wanted to try the hammock.
The load was easily managed but I wanted to try a lot of things out so i brought them all. This was an expedition so best to be prepared.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
We did have a sighting.. an older (very old), (but VERY prepared) specimen..
Even the local FM radio stations slogan was "Big Foot Country"

Note the familiar gate and how it walks.. :evil6:

:cool:

BigFootTom.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
This was my base load out for the trip and how I run the Pines, Green Ridge Etc. (except this is a new rack and windscreen setup)..
I always carry fuel, tools and a survival kit.

Bike unloaded.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
This will give you an idea of what it's like there. Parker Dam is in Moshannon State Forest (Where we did our expedition of sorts):
Moshannon Overview.JPG

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Here's Tom washing his underwear... poor animals and people downstream didn't know what hit them, looked like malaria symptoms..

LOL... He was filling water bottles for the filtration systems that were brought along. Those two wanted to do survival camping and made sure to do it right.

Water Bottle Fill.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Rick hauled all of this wood out of the mountain..! (actually it was a team effort and took a while, it was not close but it was well worth it!) - IT WAS COLD
Wood1.jpg

We had to keep our little friend warm!
Trophy.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
That damn coffee pot keeps showing up at every ride and boy does Rick know how to make it. His coffee is god sent. The way Rick tells it that pot has more camping miles on it than all the miles on our bikes combined... he hauls that thing out everywhere and it's well received... believe you me.
That Coffee Pot.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Rick and I even packed chairs in, boy they were nice to have! We shared them with Tom but the Straw Boss made Tom sleep on the ground on night 3, said he was living too comfortable off the grid.. :)o)...! NO HAMMOCK FOR YOU!

Chairs.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Night 3:

Toms awesome ground setup on the night that he was banished to the ground by you know who...
Tom is a wilderness pro... and he knows how to take orders. :p
The fact is the site did NOT support a hammock tree wise. It was late, we needed to setup before it got dark and TOM manned up and took to the ground so we could make camp. A true gentleman he is.
We will be taking a collection for his lyme disease medicines as he was probably bitten by 200 ticks.

Banished to the ground.jpg

1 - 20 of 87 Posts