TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to pull the cylinder on my TW. I am missing the Allen wrench that is issued with it...anyone have a spare?

·
Registered
638 Posts
If you go to most ACE or other home hardware stores that have a nut and bolt section in drawers. They will usually have have a drawer with loose Allen wrenches. Usually less than a buck.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I use hex key wrenches similar to this at work. WRENCHES The ball end is handy, lets you turn the bolt at an angle after you break it loose. A set of T-handle wrenches are also nice to have. T-HANDLE

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I use hex key wrenches similar to this at work. WRENCHES The ball end is handy, lets you turn the bolt at an angle after you break it loose. A set of T-handle wrenches are also nice to have. T-HANDLE
Hey Brian. That's a deal I've never bought Tekton tools how well do they hold up?

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
You need both 5 and 7 MM allen wrenches for most TW bolts. If you use the wrong size or the American Inch sizes that do not fit tight you will destroy the head and have more problems. I highly recommend that anyone who works on MCs buys an Impact driver. These use both Allen head bits as well as regular sockets but they require a hammer for the initial breaking free of the bolt. It will save you much stress and aggravation in the long run.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Harbor Frieght is your friend for hex or the now commoner torx head screws. Phippilps screws work out better with a JIS type screwdriver. Be cautious with old time hammer impact drivers on Phillips , you turn your screws into "single use only" quite easily which is counter productive. I have found the 1/4 drive impact drivers (battery powered) to be cats meow on any screw (with proper driver) and much more controllable than a hammer type. These days the two are price comparable even. If your doing wood work etc the impact feature removes screws you'd think we're not remove able. Plus drive into spots normally hard without stripping the head. Gotta love technology. Have to hunt some for JIS screwdrivers/tips.

·
Registered
20,158 Posts
These flex head puppies will allow you to use a torque wrench on the cylinder upon re-assembly; then are useful for intake manifold and valve cover bolts as well as bolts for passenger foot pegs or cycle-rack. e78ad882-b19f-4eb5-93e4-99a62b3f8b86_400.jpg

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I thought I needed was the 9-10" long Z-shaped Allen wrench to get to the cylinder and head bolts. Its been a while since I monkeyed with it, but I thought the Yamaha wrench was rather important.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Hey Brian. That's a deal I've never bought Tekton tools how well do they hold up?
I don't think I have that particular brand, found the first convenient link to post the picture for an example. Not sure what brand I have, the name has been rubbed off the plastic holder long ago. Probably an el cheapo HB set.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Bondhus and Allen are probably the best socket head screw wrenches. Most True Value hardware stores carry Bondhus as does Amazon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm. I took a closer look at my bike and I see that I won't need the long tool if the head is pulled first. Thanks again for the "collective wisdom." Anything I don't have is a three miles away at a wonderful pawn shop with literally several bushels of wrenches, excellent prices, and sold by a real gentleman. Saturdays his mother in her mid- 80s
brings in a frosted cake she baked herself to hand out to customers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts