TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are getting a break from the cold weather in Maryland. :). Marian and I are visiting our daughters in Honolulu and so far it’s been a fun filled time.
Our first stop was dinner at Gyu-Kaku Japanese barbecue followed by watching the sunset on Ala Moana beach.

1AF0EE5F-BCDC-45FA-9973-17E34EEAA37D.jpeg

Today we took a two hour Segway tour given free by Mike an owner of the company. Mikes family shop is next door to the Scuba shop where Lauren works. If you ever get a chance to take a spin it’s definitely an exciting experience. After the first half hour I was ready for rougher terrain. I couldn’t help getting off the beaten path a bit to test its ability.

AC42007E-87BB-4CD4-86AF-34BCD36BD3EB.jpeg

63B2FE8C-C62E-4ED4-8EE6-945D3FB28883.jpeg

I was suppose to go spear fishing with Mike today but he has been a little under the weather. I’m hoping he feels better next week because I could seriously get into that.

I bought Lauren a Ram-X and a universal jack so she can charge her phone which we installed on her Yamaha V-Star 250.
She was surprised when I showed her where her tool kit was on the bike.
While showing her how to maintain her bike I discovered she needed distilled water in her battery. Excellent reason for a ride so I followed her on the Scooter while we headed to Walmart. I also bought her a set of sockets so I could teach her more on maintaining her bike.

FDBEFAFA-1BDA-46AD-939B-CB1B4C60049D.jpeg

I’m renting a Sportster Thursday, Friday and Saturday so we can get some real riding in.

Tonight Nicole drove us to the top of a mountain overlooking Honolulu which is an amazing view.

C6F537F0-BD29-4BFD-826C-78C2ABBA7DDE.jpeg

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Real nice. Always nostalgic to see Diamond Head.
Gotta be more than 10 years since I have been there. Did a full drive (cage sadly) around the entire coast of the island. Only parts you couldn't go were military bases. Always wanted to on a motorcycle.
Are you going to visit Pearl and the Arizona? Very moving.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Real nice. Always nostalgic to see Diamond Head.
Gotta be more than 10 years since I have been there. Did a full drive (cage sadly) around the entire coast of the island. Only parts you couldn't go were military bases. Always wanted to on a motorcycle.
Are you going to visit Pearl and the Arizona? Very moving.
We visited Pearl on our last visit 5 years ago. It’s defiantly a moving experience.

I’m not exactly sure where we are going yet, but in about an hour we are going to hike up a mountain and watch the sunrise. Then it’s beach day in the sun.

More pictures to come :cool:

Question: Since I got the iPhone 8 my pictures don’t seem to upload properly. Do you have to “select” them to view what I uploaded?

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
We visited Pearl on our last visit 5 years ago. It’s defiantly a moving experience.

I’m not exactly sure where we are going yet, but in about an hour we are going to hike up a mountain and watch the sunrise. Then it’s beach day in the sun.

More pictures to come :cool:

Question: Since I got the iPhone 8 my pictures don’t seem to upload properly. Do you have to “select” them to view what I uploaded?
By meaning "Select Them to view what I uploaded?", I have to click on the link to view. Don't put all the blame on your phone though as this forum software has not been right for quite some time. But your picture's did turn out great and selecting them or clicking on them is better than the dreaded "attachment" goes nowhere link we sometimes get from people who try to post pictures.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was the mountain the trip up Tantalus? Great motorcycle ride that one. I lost my brakes coming down Tantalus on a chopped Harley in 81.
Yes it was and we plan to ride it Thursday on motorcycles. Losing your breaks must took some skill because that is a serious hill

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Forget the compass Top, think in terms of mauka vs. makai, i.e. mountains side vs. ocean side and you'll do fine.
Like polar co-ordinates vs. cartesian co-ordinates island living has you readjust way to look at things.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Forget the compass Top, think in terms of mauka vs. makai, i.e. mountains side vs. ocean side and you'll do fine.
Like polar co-ordinates vs. cartesian co-ordinates island living has you readjust way to look at things.

Excellent tip I’m an here :cool:

View attachment 149890

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
The fluid boiled out of the brakes and I had a girl on the back. They boiled dry just at the bottom and I didn't know they were gone until a car stopped in front of me and
I discovered I had no brakes. I dodged lot through an open parking space and jumped the curb. Rolling down the sidewalk screaming ,"Out of my way"!
As I down shifted to first gear snd turned off the key. I rolled to a stop in a McDonalds parking lot when I butted up against a concrete divider. I went in and got a cup of water to pour onto the caliper. Then While my girl lit up a doobie, I walked about a block to an auto parts store and bought brake fluid. Thus fixed I filled and bled the brakes and caught up with the rest of the pack at a beach on the east end of the island. We rode with the pack around the island to a private beach on the northwest shore to camp for the weekend and drink and party. We were all one percenters so it was a wild party.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The fluid boiled out of the brakes and I had a girl on the back. They boiled dry just at the bottom and I didn't know they were gone until a car stopped in front of me and
I discovered I had no brakes. I dodged lot through an open parking space and jumped the curb. Rolling down the sidewalk screaming ,"Out of my way"!
As I down shifted to first gear snd turned off the key. I rolled to a stop in a McDonalds parking lot when I butted up against a concrete divider. I went in and got a cup of water to pour onto the caliper. Then While my girl lit up a doobie, I walked about a block to an auto parts store and bought brake fluid. Thus fixed I filled and bled the brakes and caught up with the rest of the pack at a beach on the east end of the island. We rode with the pack around the island to a private beach on the northwest shore to camp for the weekend and drink and party. We were all one percenters so it was a wild party.
That’s a cool story with a good ending.
I only lost breaks on a vehicle one time and it was quite scary.
It was in 1977, I had restored a 1955 Chevrolet Belair Hardtop and was home on leave in WV getting married to my first wife. I had the car packed full of gifts when we started out on a rainy night.
I had been hearing my right wheel bearing making noise and like a dumb ass I didn’t fix it before I left.
I got as far as Roanoke VA when I needed gas, coming off the ramp I applied the breaks and the peddle went to the floor. I pumped the hell out of it and down shifted. I rolled into a gas station where I commenced to getting out when the attendant came running out hollering that my car was on fire. He told me to get it away from the pumps but instead I grabbed the fire extinguisher and put the rear tire fire out.
It was about 3am when I started working on my car. I had made a axle puller with an old hub and a slide hammer because I had broke so many pumpkins doing burnouts that I kept the tools in my trunk.
I had just about had it out when two teenagers rolled up in a pickup and ask if I needed help. I told them I needed a wheel bearing. One guy said his friend had a 57 Chevy with a good one and he would bring me another right axel in the morning. Around 8:30 am they came back and with the axle and wanted $25. I was pleased with the price. We chatted a bit while I installed it, then I bought the lubricant from the gas station and I was on my way, back to Keesler AFB Biloxi Mississippi.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Back to vacation time in HI. Lauren took us to what the locals call Electric Beach for some snorkeling. We arrived early before the crowd and shared the beach with two other couples. I enjoyed watching a sea turtle glide along the bottom and there was an abundance of fish. If you ever plan to visit Oahu and want the best snorkeling, this is the place. It’s not kid friendly because there is a channel you need to swim through to get to calmer water. I personally didn’t consider it dangerous but you need to be a fairly good swimmer.
We had been out of the water for about a half hour when we heard someone hollowing “Help”. A woman was drowning about 50 yards out. Luckily the lifeguards were on duty and saved her. When they got her to shore she was blue and coughing up water. She recovered well by the time the ambulance arrived but the woman’s husband was still scurrying around stressed out by the event. To put it mildly...It would suck dying on vacation.

View attachment 149969

Behind us was an old abandon railroad truss and if you look closely you can read the words Hawaiian RailRoad. I love seeing these old structures but it pisses me off to see all the graffiti that’s written everywhere. It’s bad here... the little pricks spray paint everything.

View attachment 149977

Copied from the internet:

WHY IS IT CALLED ELECTRIC BEACH?
The beach is next to the Hawaiian Electric Plant, which outflows clean warm water through two large cooling pipes. The pipes run out into the ocean and at the opening the water temperature is several degrees warmer than normal, which attracts a variety of sea life. Not only is there an abundance of sea life, the water clarity is as good as it gets on Oahu. This beach provides a perfect combination of clear water and tons to see.
There is a small channel that you need to swim out of before you reach the open ocean. This can be a little turbulent so keep your eyes open until you get through the channel. Turtles are sometimes in the channel but it isn’t the best place to stop and look as the current is strong.
Not only is there an abundance of sea life, the water clarity is as good as it gets on Oahu. This beach provides a perfect combination of clear water and tons to see.

Once you are through the channel, keep your eyes open as you are now in Hawaiian Sea Turtle territory. I have snorkeled here more than 15 times and have seen at least one turtle on every swim.
Schools of Angelfish will float by as well as Butterfly fish, Parrot fish, Damsel fish, Surgeon fish. An abundance of coral on the sea floor is home to the vast array of fish, eels, and hundreds of different species of sea creatures.
Before you know it, you will be in depths of more than 40 feet. There is old machinery and other cool things to dive down to and check out. In water this deep, the atmosphere is truly amazing, it feels like you are on another planet, it’s truly beautiful.
In the distance you will see a lot of charter boats. They are doing dolphin excursions and turtle excursions. Basically, people are paying $140 per person to have a similar experience to you.Put your head under water and if you hear the squealing noises of dolphins you can swim out further and hopefully swim with a pod of Spinner Dolphins. Sometimes you can see them from the beach too.
I swam with dolphins at this beach and was less than 400 yards from shore, which isn’t a huge swim with fins on. I have also heard whale noises while underwater at this beach but am yet to swim with a whale.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
You used to be one of them? :eek::p Sorry bro, couldn't resist... :D
Love Oahu used to live in the islands and I really miss it. Id reccomend a trip to the bishop museum which is amazing if youre interested in hawaiian culture and origins. There is so much to do on oahu. Also beware of thieves! there are many of them and they tend to target visitors. ask me how I know!

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I rode Lauren’s Yamaha V-Star 250 this evening. It’s a zippy little bike, wish my TW was a 250cc. :(. It’s a great starter bike but the forward controls take a bit to get use to.
I bought her an O-Ring chain from Rocky Mountain ATV before I got here but they didn’t include the Master Link. Bummer. One other thing I didn’t realize is I needed a chain break because Yamaha didn’t use a master link. We were ready to take a SawsAll to the damn thing when I realized the master link was MIA.
I’m renting the Sportster tomorrow so I guess we will hit some motorcycle shops.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts