TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I still say you ride better with one hand than most of us with both arms.. Your vids. are like we ride next to you and become a part of the adventure.. "EXCEPT" the funny long stick between us. ;) So relaxing. OMM.

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Great stuff, haunting music. Interesting that you can ride across the Matanuska at low water level for surely that must be some raging river when flowing bank to bank. Quite a wide floodplain yet little evidence of flood debris high on the banks. This your ice skating route in wintertime?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great stuff, haunting music. Interesting that you can ride across the Matanuska at low water level for surely that must be some raging river when flowing bank to bank. Quite a wide floodplain yet little evidence of flood debris high on the banks. This your ice skating route in wintertime?
Actually I was riding across just a little side stream of it. The main channel cant even be crossed by a 4x4 rig. That day it was running about 2500 cfs. It can go as high as 25000 at flood stage. or as low as about 800 in the winter. What you saw me crossing was like 80 or 100 cfs near moose creek confluence. Theres actually a $#!T-ton of flood debris out there, I just forgot to film any of it. I rode past thousands of full length cottonwood logs and parts of destroyed houses and vehicles, a wildly destructive river. I think the plain is like 1/2 mile to 1 mile wide in most places. The river itself that day was maybe like 80 feet wide. When I was a little more ignorant about the danger, Ive skated the length of the river from King river to a couple miles out into the salt water. Most ice skating is not real dangerous, but due to alot of complicated things, and how dynamic and changing the river is in the winter, it can be super dangerous, and it would be real easy to wind up with a "Game over, no credits" situation. There are alot of areas safe to skate on it, you just have to know where the active flowing water is, and thats not always easy.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Another awesome video, thanks! I may have asked previously, not sure, what knee/shin guards are you using? I like the coverage they offer.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I enjoyed riding along and a perfect editing job. Thanks

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another awesome video, thanks! I may have asked previously, not sure, what knee/shin guards are you using? I like the coverage they offer.

Those shin guards rock! They are made by fox (forget the model name) and were like $75 locally at fish creek sales. Really comfortable and offer loads of protection against several types of injuries including patella injuries, debris hitting your shins, and some types of crush iinjuries if the bike falls on you. Plus they keep the front of your legs nice and warm (my knees shins are normally the coldest part of my body without them on. ) Really glad I bought those, feel naked and vulnerable without them.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Those shin guards rock! They are made by fox (forget the model name) and were like $75 locally at fish creek sales. Really comfortable and offer loads of protection against several types of injuries including patella injuries, debris hitting your shins, and some types of crush iinjuries if the bike falls on you. Plus they keep the front of your legs nice and warm (my knees shins are normally the coldest part of my body without them on. ) Really glad I bought those, feel naked and vulnerable without them.
Thanks! I'll check them out.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I see you have a bit of termination dust in the hills. Any indications as to what kind of winter you're likely to get this year?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts