TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to get a GoPro however I am not sure exactly what I want or need and just some suggestions on model and mounts, helmet or fixed etc. Your takes on this matter will be quite appreciated. We are talking about this basically being for my TW but it might hop to another one on occasion. Also any thoughts on programming, editing, etc. Thanx.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I like the chest mount myself. Started with the top helmet mount but it would get caught on low branches and get tipped back, filming the sky instead of the trail. Also easier to turn on and off, checked battery life, etc. I use Windows Movie Maker because it came with the computer. Works OK, just slow.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks scotti158. I do try to avoid those branches, but mostly I watch for deer and other big critters in my way as some of the local farmers don't like to pay much for fencing. How does the chest mount work as far as vibration, moving positions and just general quality.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
I have decided to get a GoPro however I am not sure exactly what I want or need and just some suggestions on model and mounts, helmet or fixed etc. Your takes on this matter will be quite appreciated. We are talking about this basically being for my TW but it might hop to another one on occasion. Also any thoughts on programming, editing, etc. Thanx.
Get the Go Pro sessions model. It is usually only $199 and comes with enough mounts to get you on your way. It is waterproof without the need for any additional cases and has all of the most used bells and whistles. My son has one and he has abused it swimming, biking, playing hockey and snowboarding. Great camera at a fantastic price.

Tom

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get the Go Pro sessions model. It is usually only $199 and comes with enough mounts to get you on your way. It is waterproof without the need for any additional cases and has all of the most used bells and whistles. My son has one and he has abused it swimming, biking, playing hockey and snowboarding. Great camera at a fantastic price.

Tom
Thanks. Will get on it. Just like to record things on occasion and sometimes riding the back roads with my trusty TW and 203/204 tires i can get some nice twisty riding action that people don't usually associate with the Mighty TW.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Thanks scotti158. I do try to avoid those branches, but mostly I watch for deer and other big critters in my way as some of the local farmers don't like to pay much for fencing. How does the chest mount work as far as vibration, moving positions and just general quality.
It definitely shows less "head turning" which is a plus sometimes. Overall I think it shoots a better video, just have to keep it high on the chest to avoid a video of nothing but the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
20,189 Posts
Funny how the forward facing helmet mounted cameras don't really catch all the antics of the twisty riding action of the rear tire. Must be because the head keeps looking in the intended direction of travel. Perhaps a chest mount would show the frantic counter-steering and valient rider input better. A recent muddy ride where I though the rear tire sliding 30 degrees or so side to side would yield very dramatic imagery...no such luck, my distress was undetectable in the resulting video. I didn't look heroic, just a little uncoordinated as I slithered down the chocolate moose trail.

The Go-Pro Sessions seems like a very good package deal if one can live with the classic boxy Go-Pro configuration. I can't. I have been spoiled by the smaller cylindrical styles of Ion and Contour bullet shapes that can tuck in under the visor, or semi-flush with the helmet with less turbulent flow noise at speeds. To me the tele-tubby look seems snagably dangerous and a bit dorky. Of course a chest mount solves these safety and image issues.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Re: editing. Be ready to spend hours in front of your computer if you plan to edit long footage down to something watchable. If you look on YouTube, Vimeo or others, you'll see that the best videos are ones that are short, with many short, interesting clips, "spliced" together. This takes a lot of time. AND a powerful computer to keep up with processing those long sections of video so that your editing program can keep up. I use both Photoshop (CC version) and an older version of Power Director (Ver.12 I think). One of the best features of some video cameras (not sure if GoPro has it) is the "loop" mode. This means your camera records continuously but only "saves" to memory when you hit the tagging button. The amount saved is definable in menus. When you tag, it saves the last, say 3 minutes and the next 3 minutes, so you get a 6 minute clip of the best stuff and not all the boring stuff leading up to that. Harder to explain than use. This will cut down on some of that editing time. I use the Drift Innovation Stealth 2 which comes with this feature. It is also on $84 on Amazon. It also comes with a remote, that you can strap on your arm or your handlebars. Just hit the record button when you want to record, stop when you want to stop. The only drawback of the Stealth 2 is that it does not use an interchangeable battery. The Drift Innovation HD Ghost, however, does and it has a small screen, for framing & viewing as well. The Stealth 2, you use wifi and your phone to frame a shot, if it is not already mounted to your helmet.

Hope this helps. I've use the GoPro (first iteration, pure crap) and a VIO POV (nice, but camera head has a cord, to the video recorder unit, about the size of a TV remote control). The Stealth 2 is small, easy to use, takes good video but with the caveats above.

Here is a link to a video I edited and compiled from a fall colors ride last year. Turn down your speakers, the wind noise is bad. Another inherent vice of these things.

·
Registered
20,189 Posts
Beautiful video well edited Herr Munchmeister but the audio is indeed some of the noisiest I recall.
Very helpfull info on other camera options and the handy remote.
Since my laptop will not download clips longer than a few minutes I reach up and turn camera on and off for the short un-edited clips in all my videos. Sometimes the clips run a bit long until it seems safe enough to ride one-handed to turn the bugger off.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: editing. Be ready to spend hours in front of your computer if you plan to edit long footage down to something watchable. If you look on YouTube, Vimeo or others, you'll see that the best videos are ones that are short, with many short, interesting clips, "spliced" together. This takes a lot of time. AND a powerful computer to keep up with processing those long sections of video so that your editing program can keep up. I use both Photoshop (CC version) and an older version of Power Director (Ver.12 I think). One of the best features of some video cameras (not sure if GoPro has it) is the "loop" mode. This means your camera records continuously but only "saves" to memory when you hit the tagging button. The amount saved is definable in menus. When you tag, it saves the last, say 3 minutes and the next 3 minutes, so you get a 6 minute clip of the best stuff and not all the boring stuff leading up to that. Harder to explain than use. This will cut down on some of that editing time. I use the Drift Innovation Stealth 2 which comes with this feature. It is also on $84 on Amazon. It also comes with a remote, that you can strap on your arm or your handlebars. Just hit the record button when you want to record, stop when you want to stop. The only drawback of the Stealth 2 is that it does not use an interchangeable battery. The Drift Innovation HD Ghost, however, does and it has a small screen, for framing & viewing as well. The Stealth 2, you use wifi and your phone to frame a shot, if it is not already mounted to your helmet.

Hope this helps. I've use the GoPro (first iteration, pure crap) and a VIO POV (nice, but camera head has a cord, to the video recorder unit, about the size of a TV remote control). The Stealth 2 is small, easy to use, takes good video but with the caveats above

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Hope this helps. I've use the GoPro (first iteration, pure crap) and a VIO POV (nice, but camera head has a cord, to the video recorder unit, about the size of a TV remote control). The Stealth 2 is small, easy to use, takes good video but with the caveats above
Love the scenery. Appreciate the info. Where I am on the East Coast at this time and not where I was when I owned property in Highland county Va. makes any video I would produce less impressive from the scenery perspective, but i think that people will still like the rural kick ass running that I do. Love where you are but ended up where I am and can live with it as I would never ever again live in an urban environment. And I haven't for over 30 years.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I just bought a Go Pro Hero 3. Went to download the editing program from the Go Pro site and my operating system is to old. Guess I'll have to buy a new computer,printer, screen and replace all my other "obsolete" electronics so they all work together.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use the chest strap on my motorcycle or kayak, helmet mount on my mountain bike and mount directly to the hood on my snowmobile. GoPro kits make the interchangeability very easy. The chest strap really smooths out the video and eliminates catching branches as already noted - plus it is sometimes nice to put it on someone else so YOU can be in a video for a change. I posted a video fairly recently in the appropriate forum section call "Fife Lake" using the chest strap, so you can check out the resulting point of view. The main downside: it only points where the bike points. The helmet cam works on the mountain bike because you are moving so much slower. I use IMovie, but I had trouble figuring it out - not a very intuitive interface in my opinion. Have fun, and I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with. Don't worry, we're all amateurs!

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
My advice when thinking about buying anything technology related is to buy the newest latest-greatest whatever model. Yeah it will be more expensive for sure, but it'll be longer before you have to buy a new one. Anything new now will be outdated in 3-5 years and obsolete/unusable/incompatible in another 3-5 years, so I always buy the new shit because I tend to keep them as long as possible, and if its already been out for a while as long as possible might not be very long.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Re: editing. Be ready to spend hours in front of your computer if you plan to edit long footage down to something watchable. If you look on YouTube, Vimeo or others, you'll see that the best videos are ones that are short, with many short, interesting clips, "spliced" together. This takes a lot of time. AND a powerful computer to keep up with processing those long sections of video so that your editing program can keep up.
THIS!

I was excited to share footage of my rides when I first got a GoPro, but I found that the amount of time required to edit the footage into an interesting and digestible format was prohibitive. I used mine for a couple of months and now it sits on the shelf.

I found myself with a ton of time on my hands last year while visiting family (crazy low temperatures - days in the teens - kept us all holed up in my in-laws' house) and I had my MacBook with me so I decided to finally edit a bunch of my raw footage into an interesting video. After almost 20 hours of snipping out and lining up clips using GoPro Studio, I found out that my laptop didn't have enough free memory to stitch it all together. Very disappointing. I completely gave up on it after that.

I like taking still pictures, but I don't have enough free time to be an amateur video editor. My hat is certainly off to the very few (out of the many who try) who do it well. Our own Tiny Wheel is one of the best...

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Let us not forget our very own Fred and Admiral! These two post some fantastic videos and should be thanked more than they are. So I sincerely want to thank all those who take the time to share their video adventures with us!

Tom

·
Registered
20,189 Posts
....yeah but Tiny Wheel always shows some really great production values. Love his mix of camera angles, backgrounds and off-bike clips. Haven't seen any of his lately though. Tiny Wheel and Admiral have been my inspiration.

·
Super Moderator
17,964 Posts
You do bring us a lot of great video's Fred and you are a heck of a rider!! I don't know how you do it; I'm too old and my bones can't take it anymore. I sure admire you bro!! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts