TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far, as i get close to home from a ride, I turn the petcock off so i can run the carb bowl empty before I park it for the day.
Yesterday I forgot to do this until I pulled up in front of my garage. So I was just letting it sit there idling..when I thought shoot! I don't want to overheat it. (It was in the upper 80s) So I got the leafblower out and put some airflow to the motor until it ran the carb out of fuel.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Actually the term is ANAL! Turning off the fuel is a good practice but there is little need to run the float bowl dry after every ride. Even less if you use the bike fairly regular.

There are two schools of thought on this subject, mostly concerning long term storage. Run the bowl and tank completely dry or keep both completely full. The debate rages on and it is a matter of your own personal belief. I go with the crowd that keeps the tank and bowl wet and filled right to the top but I never, ever use any fuel that contains ethanol in any of my small engines. I just don't know what benefit there could possibly be from running it out of fuel after every ride.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
The only motor I run the bowl dry on is my 1988 Johnson 9.9 outboard motor. Still runs like new.
I never had a Johnson/Evinrude as new as 1988!:( Have had many, many outboards in this class and they are all like Timex! All have been 2 cycle motors with mix your own fuel and oil and as long as you keep that crappy ethanol out you should be good to go weather you drain the bowl or not. All these small engines that get very little use and spend a lot of time between usages are subject to fuel separation so using just real gas, good 2 cycle oil mixtures and dosing it with Sea Foam is a standard necessity. Chain saws, weed eaters, Ice Augers and all sorts of small engine equipment will benefit from good gas and I think keeping the float bowls wet is just as good if not better than dry. Just my opinion of course and we all no about opinions.

GaryL

Reactions: Ken and littletommy

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
The only time I would ever run the carb dry is when I'm storing it for the winter. I put in an ounce of Stabil, run it up and down the street for three minutes to get the Stabil into the carb, turn off the petcock run it up and down the street for two minutes, then get real close to the barn and ride it in circles it until it stops. :p

Lately, though, since I can get Non Ethanol fuel easily, I just put in an ounce of Stabil, close the petcock, and call it good. It starts right up in the spring.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear you guys loud and clear on the Ethanol in fuel thing. I remember when the state MANDATED ethanol in fuel several pilot associations raised so many concerns that they got an immediate exemption. Then the boat owners, which I think was crucial because non-E fuel became available at gas stations. BUT, they were not allowed to pujmp directly into road vehicles..until I believe it was owners of older vintage type cars discovered (the hard way) that Ethanol is not good for O rings and other rubber things.

I KNOW there is less energy gallon for gallon with E fuel as well. Performance and mileage suffer with it. The state likes that because less fuel economy means more fuel consumed which means more gas tax collected.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Damn, do I feel stupid {sic} ... I ride it, park it, forget it, and leave the damn fuel switch untouched....guess I've been lucky, 6500 miles, 3 years, and Zero Problems from that habit...:rolleyes::wave: and that includes after last Summer's Covered Bridge Ride for 3 days in 90+ heat, with humidity to match, and downpours of heavy rain...:eagerness:

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Ride It, Park It, Forget About It, Grab Beer, Cigar, Relax....;)

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Do you have ethanol in your fuel?
Depends on which state I'm in...Ohio=No...Indiana and the People's Republic of Islam{Michigan} Yes....makes no difference to me....but if I have a problem, I'll post it here first....which reminds me, I have not changed oil or cleaned filter since last Summer....damn!:p

Reactions: Ken and littletommy

·
Super Moderator
18,052 Posts
I usually do shut off the petcock when I am not riding mine. It is important to shut off the fuel if you are trailering your bike or storing it in a garage with a heat source such as a hot water heater though. If it started dripping, you could have quite a bit of gas on the floor and you don't want to create a situation where the garage could blow up or start the house on fire!! I store mine during the winter with the carb and tank full with non-ethanol gas and some stabilizer.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Doesn't this say something about the practice of running the bowl dry?

Yes but I only run my outboard motor a dozen times a year when the crabs are running. I don't think it's necessary to run the TW dry.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Doesn't this say something about the practice of running the bowl dry?
YUP! It sure does say something but that is what TP believes and it is his choice and seems to work for him. I keep mine wet and that is what I believe and it works real fine for me. This debate is about the same as what oil to use or what front tire is best and we will still have to determine if the glass is half empty or is it half full?

GaryL

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I couldn't imagine that happening miles away in the wilderness. Out of gas, oil In gas and stranded. I was lucky, it happened at home. The good part. It was on a bike I just had got and all kinds of horrible stuff came out of the crankcase. I figured that should add lots of years riding to it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts