TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Little known fact Sue and I purchased Gerry's Honda 90 a couple years back, the "Little Mr. Gizmo". We thought the Honda 90s would be a fun bike to learn how to ride on. Which they were. We would ride the local hills, at 10mph. Sue learned right away that if she tried real hard she could ride down hill as slow as 3mph. Please God give me patients. I decided, against my will, that I would have to be patient with her until her riding skills improved. Which they did. We were "burning up" the logging roads at 15mph, hot wheels, best get out of her way! She was showing improvement so we bought the TW's and started a new learning curve.

Dan is thinking learning curve and Sue is thinking lean into the curve. After 6000 miles of dirt roads and trails her average speed has almost tripled. Finally, she is keeping up with me. Yahoo! Then the worst thing happened. While riding a little faster then my comfort zone, I hear Sue ask over the microphone, "AM I RIDING TO FAST FOR YOU"? Those words cut like a knife, I'm now an old fart! The last couple of rides has been me just keeping up! There has been a change in my life and I don't like this growing old stuff. What to do?

I must slow Sue down. Some advice would be welcomed. I'm contemplating re-adjusting her valves just a little in order to slow the bike down. Definitely deflate the tires as much as possible. Maybe lean the carburetor a little. Then when I pass her on the trail she will think I'm a " HE MAN" fast and strong. Growing old is not for the young!!! Dirts a Flyen SanDue:rolleyes::D

Registered
I would just let her go as fast as she likes. Growing old has some benefits in that we do slow down and we do take the time to smell the roses along the way. Always remember it is not the destination, its the ride so just go enjoy it while you can because soon enough it won't be quite as enjoyable when every damn bone and joint start aching. Going faster than you are comfortable with is what causes those trail side naps and when ever I do take a dive the healing is a much longer and more painful process. At 65 with a bad knee and the opposite hip I can hardly sling a leg over a TW seat so enjoy it while you still can and allow her to be FORD, first on race day.

GaryL

Registered
Don't tell Sue or give her the directions to where you're headed. Then she'll be forced to follow you. If she insists on getting directions from you, give her wrong ones whereby you can hope she'll get the subtle hint she should continue to follow you. amazon.gif

Of course, Sue may resist all attempts on your part to slow her down. In that case, you're screwed so just accept it! gerg.gif

Registered
I like to stop and survey the upcoming terrain and if I have a concern or question I always point out to my riding buddies that they are so much better riders that they should go first and show how to do it.
But I'm usually alone so that doesn't work as often as I'd like.

I'd just limit her throttle or give incomplete directions. As a last resort point out how you like to have fun but at a safe pace.

Registered
Dan, I would suggest a multi-tactic approach to this...situation.

Definitely incorporate all of the very good ideas, suggestions, & advice as others mentioned.

While out riding, if Sue begins to exceed the reasonable speeds one should enjoy on a TW make use of the two way communication system by making statements such as the following:

Q: "Am I going too fast?"

A: "No, Fred said I should watch the trails carefully as there is usually gold one can find!"

A: "No, I'm being careful as MHoMadness said that goats frequent this road!"

A: "No, I'm looking out for the hammer that Admiral lost!"

A: "No, did you not see that sasquatch?"

A: "No, Little Tommy said there used to be a bakery around here back in the day..."

Ok, maybe not the last one, but you get the idea. ;)

I would also put a decal on your TW reading "Low & Slow". Tell Sue you're trying to live up to the image! :cool: m.

Super Moderator
Wait!! I liked that last one!!! :p
Dan, I would suggest a multi-tactic approach to this...situation.

Definitely incorporate all of the very good ideas, suggestions, & advice as others mentioned.

While out riding, if Sue begins to exceed the reasonable speeds one should enjoy on a TW make use of the two way communication system by making statements such as the following:

Q: "Am I going too fast?"

A: "No, Fred said I should watch the trails carefully as there is usually gold one can find!"

A: "No, I'm being careful as MHoMadness said that goats frequent this road!"

A: "No, I'm looking out for the hammer that Admiral lost!"

A: "No, did you not see that sasquatch?"

A: "No, Little Tommy said there used to be a bakery around here back in the day..."

Ok, maybe not the last one, but you get the idea. ;)

I would also put a decal on your TW reading "Low & Slow". Tell Sue you're trying to live up to the image! :cool: m.

Registered
I don't get it? Quit complaining. I always have liked fast women and following from behind.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the goodandnot advice. Ha I believe I will follow my mentor and trail scout Gerry's advice. I do believe he gave my delema some serious thought. But, instead of calling it a throttle-stop let's call it a shock-collar. Ha Dirts a Flyen SanDue:rolleyes::D

Registered
I could make Sue a nice throttle-stop. You could then adjust it in keeping with your level of daring before each ride. Sue has no problem setting a challenging pace.
Well a throttle stop would be a bad thing. If she needed full power for a hill or to PASS you she might get into trouble.

A governor would be the cats meow or a Banshee scream..... heeeeyaaaa!

Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts