TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright fellas, help me get over it once and for all. I'm sick of people telling me I'm too big for my bike! As I've stated before, I've owned 1 BMW GSA and two KLRs and I swear I'm just as comfortable touring on my TW as the taller steeds. (Slow roads of course) However, I'm 6'5'ish and 250lbs and my friends keep saying "get a taller bike." Do I look like a circus freak on this thing? I've never had more fun on a bike...ever. I just wanna make sure I'm not missing something here. Are the majority of TW riders under 6ft?? I appreciate your input. Cheers!
Patrick

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
mr bracket is about your size and loves his too.... i think he looks like a giraffe on a clown car, but who cares if he enjoys it! ;)

·
Registered
493 Posts
You are going to get those comments no matter what. The TW is a target for that sort of thing. Just ride the bike and smile a lot. I get to ride all kinds of bikes and I love my TW.

Reactions: r80rt

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
If you love your bike and it makes you feel good to ride it, who cares? You ride for yourself, not to impress someone. You should see me on mine. Truly a elephant on a tricycle. I'm no little tommy. ;)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all the great perspectives. Sometimes it's hard not to get caught up with appearances. Truthfully I look too big for just about everything, including full size baggers. Does anyone know if the seat to peg distance is similar to larger bikes? It has to be 'cause I think my TW is comfortable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm 6'3" and 250lbs and my friends laugh about me on the TW. I have a buddy that is 5'6" and rides a KTM525. I think he looks like a fly on a bull. You should see him at stoplights bouncing on one foot with the seat under his other knee. Now that is funny. I got the TW after having a blast on my CT-70 so it is a move up for me. I love it and will keep it because it is fun and manageable in the woods. Other bike is a Triumph 900 that I also look big on.

·
Registered
240 Posts
There are always those people (haters) that can't let people be content/happy without putting their misinformed/ignorant opinions out there. Some people say the TW is too slow, heavy (what!?), small, etc., A member here has the signature "I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you"; this applies to the TW very well. If it makes you happy and won't land you in jail, who cares? Do you have something to prove to anyone else? I'm pretty secure in my "manhood" and those who conform to what others think are either too afraid to go against the grain or are compensating for something. You like (or love) your TW for whatever reason. If love your significant other (man/woman), someone can always point out a physical flaw or two but to us that love them; they're just right.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The small/lightness/comfort of the TW is the whole appeal. I love my other bike too but the TW is a breath of fresh air when I ride it.
When I first bought it I showed it to my buddy who was riding a GS then, I let him take it out for a ride. Well this sent him into a some kind of frenzy. Because he is kinda short he wanted something more comfy. Within two weeks he traded the GS for an RT and probably took a bath on the deal. Now he is still itching for a dual sport but he is hung up on horsepower and electronic gadgets. Oh well. I tried.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I too am a bigger fellow and was once told that bike under me made quite a profile, like anyone would know who it was by just seeing me on it once. I take that as a compliment. I love mine and have another for the wife. When it comes down to it, we like our TW's, really don't give a ---- what anyone else thinks.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Mr Bracket is the tallest/biggest guy I've seen riding a Tw. During our first Norcal ride I swear I thought Bigfoot was chasing me thru the forest. He sure had a huge smile so I know he loves his TW. Really the only thing a tall rider needs extra on it is handlebar risers....

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Screw them, I'm 5'8" 290lbs. I look fat and stupid on all bikes. But I've been riding since age 6, never been without a bike since. Did a LOT of racing (all types), so I just laugh my ass off when they bust my balls, then I out ride them all. Try and keep up...:D

·
Registered
43 Posts
unless your a movie star or a run way model, looks don't count for nothing. Are you enjoying yourself? are you happy? that's all that counts. Like I always say, unless some one is paying my bills, I do what I want.

·
Registered
188 Posts
6'2" and 170lbs. I'm lanky and goofy looking inherently. On a TW, it's even weirder. Of all the things I've been made fun of, I've never had as much fun being made fun of for looking goofy. That and it's hard to be put down when your SO likes riding with you :p

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I'm 6' and 225lbs., one of my riding buddies laughed when he saw me ride it for the first time. Then he rode it and couldn't believe how it handled, it doesn't feel as small as it is.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You guys are awesome! This forum is one of my favorite things.

On an interesting note, I did a little research at the local motorcycle store today....had to scratch an itch. Measured the distance from seat (lowest point) to pegs on three bikes.
2013 KLR = 22"
2013 BMW F800GS = 20"
1995 TW200 (mine with Coleman seat pad) = 21"

TW is more comfy (for my body type) than the KLR! My knees didn't fit the tank cut outs.

Thanks again for the comments!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
unless your a movie star or a run way model, looks don't count for nothing. Are you enjoying yourself? are you happy? that's all that counts. Like I always say, unless some one is paying my bills, I do what I want.
Amen brother!!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I just wanna make sure I'm not missing something here.
Nope. The only valid reason you would not want to ride your TW is if it made you REALLY uncomfortable after a few hours. I'm only 6 ft. even with a 33" inseam, but I put 2" Rox Pivoting Risers on after just a few months and it made a big difference, both sitting and standing. With a gel seat insert I'm good for 5 hours +.

Having more fun is the best revenge.....:p

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm 6' 4", 200 lbs. My son is also 6' 4", 200 lbs.
Kinda hard to tell just how I look while on the TW, but when watching my son ride it, I'm actually a bit surprised at how the bike doesn't look too small at all.

Just ride it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts