TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I saw another thread of a guy who was concerned if he was too big for the TW200. In my case, it's not my height but my current weight that I'm concerned about. I've lost 50lbs since eating healthier and exercising but I have at least 40 more lbs. to lose to reach my goal. Right now, I weigh 250lbs. Am I too heavy for this bike? Would I be able to reach highway speeds (here in california 55-65mph)at a decent pace?

Any 250lb riders out there on this beautiful bike? Your experiences?

I'm going to test ride one this week....my primary usage will be commuting (34miles each way).

Thanks in advance everybody...I like the rest of you have fallen in love with this bike....even though I've yet to ride one.

Tony

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
People much bigger than you are enjoying the TW. What are the roads like on your commute? Is it city, country, highway? I ride to work everyday but it is only 4 miles of country road between 45-55 mph. If you need to go a long way on a busy highway everyday, I would get a bigger bike. There is really no reason you couldn't commute 70 miles a day on a TW though. A more comfortable seat or at least a seat pad may be in order.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Idk abou tthe weight I'm sure you would be fine.

However, I live in LA and this bike is not a highway bike. Ive tried on it, and I had it screamming in 5th gear. I felt so bad for the bike I took it off the highway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
People much bigger than you are enjoying the TW. What are the roads like on your commute? Is it city, country, highway? I ride to work everyday but it is only 4 miles of country road between 45-55 mph. If you need to go a long way on a busy highway everyday, I would get a bigger bike. There is really no reason you couldn't commute 70 miles a day on a TW though. A more comfortable seat or at least a seat pad may be in order.

Thanks n20driver for the quick reply. it's good to know there are heavier guys out there still getting fun out of this bike (i'm presuming they're having fun). My commute consists of a 34 mile trek on main freeways (80\nimitz freeway)through heavy traffic. I figured this bike would be perfect in that #1. I could go trail riding again. #2 I could confidently and safely handle this bike through traffic. Most of my commute now (in my 2001 Jeep Patriot) is stop and go with average speeds of 40mph....it's killing me slowly.

I'm much more mature and wiser than when I last owned a bike for commuting purposes. Looking back, I should never had considered a Suzuki GSXR-1100 as a commuter. I really just need to go the speed limit and safely lane split. Your thoughts n20? Is the TW suitable for me? I'd like to stick with Dual Purpose...but want to avoid 650cc...those just seem too top heavy for me to handle on trails.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Idk abou tthe weight I'm sure you would be fine.

However, I live in LA and this bike is not a highway bike. Ive tried on it, and I had it screamming in 5th gear. I felt so bad for the bike I took it off the highway.

thanks for the input Osheen! how many mph were you at in 5th gear? anyone else have commuting experience on the freeway that they can share? Thanks everybody...Osheen highlights one of my concerns and I'm afraid this bike just wouldn't be suitable for me. i wish there were an affordable dual purpose 400 out there...more accurately....wish Yamaha had a TW400.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
just my opinion, but i wouldn't choose the TW for a daily commute vehicle on the nimitz. the bike can cruise at 60+/- but that isn't it's real sweet spot, and it doesn't give you much reserve speed or acceleration if you needed it in an emergency maneuver situation.

hey here's a guy that could offer you two different looks at a bike: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3437477200.html

·
Registered
49 Posts
thanks for the input Osheen! how many mph were you at in 5th gear? anyone else have commuting experience on the freeway that they can share? Thanks everybody...Osheen highlights one of my concerns and I'm afraid this bike just wouldn't be suitable for me. i wish there were an affordable dual purpose 400 out there...more accurately....wish Yamaha had a TW400.

No problem. Well since I'm 20 and i'm a speed freak, I had it up to 70 on the freeway, but that's about it. I was redline-ing it and I felt terrible about it. And it was literally screaming bloody hell.

If you're pro yamaha maybe you should look at the xt250?

If not, then your best bet is to look at Suzuki's dual sport line

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product Lines/Cycles.aspx?sc_lang=en

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just my opinion, but i wouldn't choose the TW for a daily commute vehicle on the nimitz. the bike can cruise at 60+/- but that isn't it's real sweet spot, and it doesn't give you much reserve speed or acceleration if you needed it in an emergency maneuver situation.

hey here's a guy that could offer you two different looks at a bike: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3437477200.html

Thanks Joe Band! I'm glad someone familiar with the nimitz chimed in. it seems this bike would be perfect for small jaunts on the roads but not ideal for a daily commute. i'm looking at the wr250x as well...it's about 3000.00 more. i really would like to get into a dual.

Anybody else out there have experience commuting 30 to 70 miles per day on major freeways? A few more responses or input and I can make a better decision.

Thanks again Joe Band.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I would agree with Joe band, it wouldn't be my choice for any extended time on the freeway. Sure, if traffic is at a stand still it would be great for lane splitting. Eventually it gets moving though and I'm just not comfortable on the hwy on it. YMMV. I lived in So. Cal. for ten years so I understand the type of highway use you are looking at and I personally wouldn't do it on a TW. Others may be using it as such and could offer more advice. Doesn't Suzuki make a DRZ-400. I don't think a 650 would be to big, might be a good option.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I don't think your weight would be an issue. As others have said, this isn't a good highway bike. I commute to work on my TW in a mix of 35 45 and 55 speed zones on a two/three lane highway. 45 is fine, but once I hit the 55 stretch I just feel like I'm in everyone's way, people passing me often while I have the throttle full open. I can do the speed limit in the 55 zone, but it is far more difficult to keep pace with traffic which is usually 60-65 which is not a safe feeling. If I were you, I would probably go with the WR, much better on the highway from what I hear.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I love my TW. That said, I wouldn't want to commute on the freeway with it. This isn't to say it won't do the occasional freeway stretch, just that I wouldn't want to do it daily.

My TW loves to go 50 indicated (about 45 actual) and is good up to 55-60 indicated (that is 50-55 actual) but beyond that the bike is working hard. In addition, my TW won't pull 5th gear up much of a hill or in a headwind. That means you drop to 4th gear and for me, that is about 50 mph indicated or around 45mph actual.

In short, at freeway speeds you don't have a lot of room for error, and if you hit a hill or a headwind you may find yourself irritating a bunch of drivers who have to go around you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
250 here.... no troubles for me.

I commute and do some mountain road work mostly. A few Rockie Mtn trails are added in at times. Handles me well!

I do feel best at a max speed of about 45 but it will do more if asked.

Happy trails!!

Rudy in Montana

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all those who took time to reply....I greatly and sincerely appreciate it! This is the most responsive forum I've ever joined...first impression is a nice group of folks. I guess that's in the nature of owning one of these little beasts. i love everything about this bike....if ever my commute is cut down to street driving...I'll be getting one these. Thanks again all....I really appreciate the input from all of you. I will be looking at other dual sports and the links those helpful members posted.

Take care and ride safe!

·
Registered
457 Posts
NO your not Iam about 250 to 260.An I love my tw so much that I bought us one more an our versys stays covered up in the barn.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Hi Folks,

I saw another thread of a guy who was concerned if he was too big for the TW200. In my case, it's not my height but my current weight that I'm concerned about. I've lost 50lbs since eating healthier and exercising but I have at least 40 more lbs. to lose to reach my goal. Right now, I weigh 250lbs. Am I too heavy for this bike? Would I be able to reach highway speeds (here in california 55-65mph)at a decent pace?

Any 250lb riders out there on this beautiful bike? Your experiences?

I'm going to test ride one this week....my primary usage will be commuting (34miles each way).

Thanks in advance everybody...I like the rest of you have fallen in love with this bike....even though I've yet to ride one.

Tony

I'm 250 and did 1000 miles in 23.5 hours on freeways etc.

Ronnydog

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Get yourself a nice street bike for commuting and a TW for trail riding. Remember, TW stands for "trail ways".

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I'm 250 and did 1000 miles in 23.5 hours on freeways etc.

Ronnydog

Lessee, that averages just under 42mph....you sure you want to average 42 mph on the Nimitz, or 405, or 5?

I'm with Joe and the others, the T-dub just isn't suited as a commuter on crowded freeways, you need a LOT more power and also physical size to be reasonably safe....a TW looks a lot like a large bug on the windshield of a Peterbilt!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Lessee, that averages just under 42mph....you sure you want to average 42 mph on the Nimitz, or 405, or 5?

I'm with Joe and the others, the T-dub just isn't suited as a commuter on crowded freeways, you need a LOT more power and also physical size to be reasonably safe....a TW looks a lot like a large bug on the windshield of a Peterbilt!

We stopped for gas, eat and rest etc. We ran at 55 to 60 most of the time.

Ronnydog

1 - 20 of 20 Posts