TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,
I thought I would show a couple quick pics here. I just picked up this Tdub last week and have been slowly and carefully evaluating it.
I got it from a kid that was going off to school and needed it out of mom and dads garage. He hadnt owned it very long and I suspect he was the one that caused the problem I will show here.
I got it with the understanding that it didnt run. I looked it over and it wasnt locked up. pretty rough and I immediately noticed that the kick starter wasnt engaging. I took a look at the rust in the tank and decided to make an offer on the suspicion that there were fuel problems at least. I ended up taking it home.

Once home, I gave it a squirt of ether and it fired. Sounded like crap though. Noisy valves at least. I decided to head out to pick up some oil to start fresh on.
Bad News, shrapnel in the oil filter. Clutch? hmmm... unlikely. Another bad sign, the oil pump inlet screen and retainer spring were missing.
Finished the oil change, set the valve clearance, and fired it up. The next omen was that i didnt get any oil pressure at all from the oil bleeder screw on the head. Shut it down quick...
Upon cracking the case, I discovered that the Kick start components had been stacked incorrectly and parts were missing. I also noticed that a lip from the actual inner housing of the case was broken off and missing as if someone had CRANKED THE KICK START SO HARD THAT THEY BROKE OFF THE STOP FLANGE!
I pulled the clutch gear and next pulled the oil pump.
How bout that... the oil pump housing was shattered. I decided to dissect it and see what caused the heart attack. Sure enough, I found part of a missing "c" clip from the kickstart assembly. I'm still missing stuff but i'm going to clean it out well.
Anyway... I feel like I'm making good progress.
Cylinder Hand Auto part Finger Metal
Blue Electric blue Soil Tire Automotive tire
Gear Auto part Crankset Rotor Bicycle part
Auto part Automotive engine part Gear Tool accessory
Auto part Bicycle part Bicycle drivetrain part Groupset Gear
Anyone know if the broken stop flange next to the kick start shaft is going to be a problem. I suppose I could press in a pin to replace it if I need too... Thought?

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
There is very little rotational torque applied to that tang. From the looks of the pic there may even be enough of the cast boss to hold the tang.

There are probably 10 ways to fix it if need be as well. if your wondering what's on the backside here's a pic:
Auto part Bicycle part Automotive engine part Metal

Hers an unbroken tang unlike your "shaven" one: (only pic I had) could be better. The tang drops in the notch.
Auto part Automotive engine timing part Engine Automotive engine part

Heres the "horseshoe spring with tang" or "friction spring" with tang. The tang drops into the "notch" in the case where the left side has now been shaved off.. (thanks to jbfla) from his great thread (yet another) for pic.
Auto part Crankshaft Gear Transmission part Automotive engine part

You can see that all this spring does is generate a little friction on the gear so it doesn't freely spin, i.e., not lots of torque on tang. Credit: jbfla
Auto part Gear Clutch part Hardware accessory Wheel

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for everyones help. It makes sense now. I incorrectly thought it could have been a stop for the kick start on the down stroke... counter clockwise shaft rotation.
Auto part Bicycle part Gear Bicycle drivetrain part Vehicle

To answer you question about the horseshoe clip, it was missing. So were a few other things like the snap ring I found in the impeller of the oil pump.
RMATVMC to the rescue. The missing /damaged stuff should be on the way with the oil pump.
I'll have to think about how to best repair the problem and sleep on it a few days. I'm considering a socket head cap screw among other things.
Anyway, thanks for all your help and I'll keep ya posted!

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Best of luck! The way the kid had that together it looks like it acted like a gilitene and slice the boss right off!

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Super Moderator
21,800 Posts
I am currently putting my bike back together, and I'm having some issues with the kick starter. I'm lining the stop flange and the tang for the spring clip, but when I put the cover back on the kick starter is stuck. What am I missing??? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Stick around; someone will be along to answer that question for you... ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I am currently putting my bike back together, and I'm having some issues with the kick starter. I'm lining the stop flange and the tang for the spring clip, but when I put the cover back on the kick starter is stuck. What am I missing??? Any help is greatly appreciated.
How stuck? Won't move even a little tiny bit? Try it without the cover look at what's going on. Is it out of gear?

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Did you disassemble the kickstarter shaft assembly? If so, did you get it put back together properly? See picture below for the proper stackup.

Auto part Coil spring Transmission part

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did not disassemble the kick assembly and the cir clip and washers are there.

1. It does not budge at all, I replaced the piston rings but I removed the spark plug to reduce compression and I did use the timing marks to align the timing chain back together.

2. I would describe the feeling that it is in gear when applying force to the kick starter. However the neutral light comes on, and the wheels are not locked. But I have never tried to kick start in gear with out the clutch so I could be wrong.

3. Only explanation I can think of is that the teeth of the kick starter is coming out of align but I carefully place the crankcase over gently not moving the kick starter assembly out of place.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Thanks Twilight, long day, too tired to work on this one ;)

·
Super Moderator
15,573 Posts
I'm trying to paint the picture in my head and I don't have enough color's.

Besides replacing the piston, what other engine work did you do? I am curious because you don't/didn't need to take off the right side cover if you did. Which begs the question of why did you have the left side cover off? I take it you removed the kickstart shaft from its place, did you remove anything else?

Try to rotate the engine (counter clockwise) without the kickstarter in. Maybe you have some obstruction when you replaced the piston and its blocking engine rotation. Or does the engine rotate?

Edit: I see twilight asked some of the same questions already.

Just throwing some pictures up which maybe will spark something.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Please elaborate, what did you find?
Update:
I just got my new oil pump tonight and threw it in. I put it back together without a clutch or kickstart gear. Fired up the bike and checked to verify that I had oil to the head. Yeah ! It sounds much better! but still not as great as the 2012 i had. It sounds good enough to go ahead and put it back together enough to ride a bit for more testing. I hope there isnt any damage to the piston, rod, crank, cam journals, etc. we shall see... I'll drain and pitch this oil tomorrow and check everywhere for chunks again. Its pretty nasty.

I still havnt decided how to resolve the broken flange on the inner case that holds the horse shoe clip that keeps the kick start gear from spinning freely and un-restrained. See earlier detail pic. Welding build up would be ideal but I dont have the gear for that. I have considered putting in an appropriately sized socket head cap screw or shoulder bolt but I hate to weaken the case.
Anyone else had to deal with something like this? I would prefer not to do a full tear down at this point.

One more thing: shift linkage doesnt line up properly unless the case is holding it at the correct alignment. the result is binding of the output shaft due to interactivity between dogs in the transmission that engage multiple gears when not aligned properly. I think... Thats my theory at least.. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Update: I still haven't decided how to resolve the broken flange on the inner case that holds the horse shoe clip that keeps the kick start gear from spinning freely and un-restrained. See earlier detail pic.
Welding is too much heat unless dissembled..

This is quick.. faster than this drawing and 3-D bracket I did for you anyway ;)

It will only work if there is enough room in the slot for the bracket and the tang. Use thin spring steel for the bracket to gain space if needed and if need be squish the loop tighter on the spring clip.

Or you could try something else, there are allot of ways. This is quick if there is room for it. You can always grind off what's left of the original boss for even more room (but watch for oil galleries).. You may even be able to twist the tang sideways and fit it.. but it's spring steel so possibly not..

This pic should get everything in perspective. You need to clarify your other issue.

Auto part Automotive engine part Automotive super charger part Engine Carburetor

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Welding is too much heat unless dissembled..

This is quick.. faster than this drawing and 3-D bracket I did for you anyway ;)

It will only work if there is enough room in the slot for the bracket and the tang. Use thin spring steel for the bracket to gain space if needed and if need be squish the loop tighter on the spring clip.

Or you could try something else, there are allot of ways. This is quick if there is room for it. You can always grind off what's left of the original boss for even more room (but watch for oil galleries).. You may even be able to twist the tang sideways and fit it.. but it's spring steel so possibly not..

This pic should get everything in perspective. You need to clarify your other issue.

View attachment 31890
Thats an awesome solution. Thank you for all the work you put into sharing that idea. I'll have a look around and see what I can come up with for steel. THANK YOU!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.