TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight when I was installing a 12V power outlet on my 2005, I pulled the tank off to route the wires back to the battery and noticed that both bolts mounting the top engine support bracket to the frame were gone.

100_3660.JPG

I have no idea how long they have been missing.

There is evidence that they were once there, but I could not see any damage that would indicate things were moving around at all.

After replacing these bolts (with nylock locknuts on the backside) and re-installing the tank, I looked to see if you could check for these bolts without removing the tank. You can, if you lay on your back on the left side of your bike and look up under the tank using a flashlight. You can just make out the heads of these mounting bolts (if they are still there, that is!).

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Wow. Something else to keep an eye on. Thanks for the heads up Brian.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Wow. Something else to keep an eye on. Thanks for the heads up Brian.
Those two little bolts sell a LOT of Bar Snakes.

Better check your swingarm pivot bolt and all the other mounts. If that has been going on for very long it can do nasty things to all the holes which pass through the motor. Worth a look.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Maybe they fell out from our last ride...... Mine are still there although awhile back I had a few muffler bolts fall out and noticed my muffler hanging off to the side. After that I went thru bike and tightened/checked every bolt I could.

·
Registered
13,328 Posts
Yep, happened to me. When I put the engine back in after painting the frame, some time later (weeks-months?) I kept hearing a "creaking" noise. When I took off my tank to adjust the valves, there was the bolt lying on top of the engine. Other 2 were tight. Few more months pass by and hear similar noise. This time one of the front motor mount bolts was loose. Lizrdbrth keeps telling us to check our nuts...and bolts? This is why. :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Great... Now I need to give it the once over and look for that which might not be there. I won't have any peace of mind until I do.

Ignorance WAS bliss. lol

--
Richard (a.k.a. LiquidSilver)

91 TW200 / 03 VRSCA / 05 Polaris Sportsman 500 / Honda Helix CN250

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Brian, need I remind you that our TDubs are not designed to Triple OR Double Jump the supercross tracks. Keep the bike on the ground and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
hmmmm..... more prep for the cow mt round up! glad you found it now brian!

..... now i have to go find all of my sockets, my son loves to play hide-and-go seek with them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd recommend replacing the nuts with nylocks, like the o.p., or pick up a bottle of blue loctite. It's cheap insurance for all of you doing these checks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts