TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Tdubbers,

I thought I'd try this cheap tach from Amazon (link is already dead but it's all over Amazon in different brands). I looked on the forum here for an answer but many links are dead.

This came with no instructions at all... :unsure:

It is back-lit (red and black wire from my understanding after researching the thing, to splice into lighting wiring: will figure this out).

However, obviously this does not wrap around the spark plug wire. There seems to be a mention (figured from googling the thing) of splicing into the coil wiring to get a RPM reading. That would be the 3 short wires. Total blank here. Where? How?

Anyone has instructions for that kind of tach? Anyone has been there on a Tdub?

This was a 20$ risk. If it's not a match, I'l probably go for a Trail-Tech. I remember that back when I shopped for this, there was only orange available. Quite a mismatch on my 2020 TW... Plus I like the look of hands on a non-tech bike whatever-meter. I thought this was worth a try...

And it seems to look pretty neat in the dark (picture from Google):

Any input welcome.

Reactions: buellzebub

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Maybe someone on here can help with that model. But without vendor instructions, you’re probably going to have to experiment.

Even the older Trail Tech Vapor on one of my bikes uses the spark plug pulse to read rpms. So I would start there. I was not willing to tap into the coil or other wiring. Spark plug signal on the Trail Tech was accurate enough for me.

Another option is to search YouTube videos for that model or a similar model that someone was able to properly install. If you haven’t done that already. Cheers and good luck.

Reactions: TrailwayGirl

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I checked Amazon. Seems the wiring by color code is same for just about any motorcycle tachometer they sell and lists as follows;

Long Red - Positive
Long Black - Negative
Short Black - Ignition Positive (I assume that means it's 'hot' when the key is in the ON position to light the gauge.)
Short Green - Ground
Yellow/ Black- engine signal (says, and I quote, "some models need to attach high voltage signal line". I don't know what that means or if it applies to the TW200.)

I'd start by attaching the wires in the sequence listed above with the yellow/black tapping the lead that feeds the coil from the CDI.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah Badgerflorida, I agree experimentation is to come :).

Ski Pro 3 I too have seen a few similar type of instructions but most sound like bad translations and are very basic. I kind of like images or plans; I'm the visual kind. :unsure: I was kind of hoping someone could tell me whether the TW200 required 2 or 3 of the short wires. Do we have that high voltage line? What is that anyway?

Anyone went the coil way rather than the spark plug way to feed their tach? Does that work with our bike?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’ve done a few tachs on some weird stuff that they shouldn’t have been installed on. My tachs (mostly digital RPM read outs) have all been sort of a mag pickup designs, so they would electrically sense a mechanical spinning (i.e. flywheel, fan blades), and convert this to an RPM number and display it.

Your style seems like you need to just tap into the coil. Honestly before you doing any cutting and splicing to the coil wire, I would unplug the spark plug, jam the input tach signal into it, and crank away and see if you get a reading. I assume you’ll get some sort of feedback from there. Definitely interested in seeing what you come up with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
"Your style seems like you need to just tap into the coil. Honestly before you doing any cutting and splicing to the coil wire, I would unplug the spark plug, jam the input tach signal into it, and crank away and see if you get a reading."

This doesn't seem like a good idea to me o_O (but what do I know?).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well before he starts doing something stupid and irreversible, why not see if it actually works by harmlessly testing it out for 3 seconds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
529 Posts
That style of tach gets it's signal from the low voltage side of a coil, not the high voltage side.
I'm pretty sure you'd fry something if you stuck the pickup wire in to the spark plug boot.
I'm also pretty sure that's why Brian didn't think it seemed like a good idea. 😜

·
Registered
529 Posts
As another possible option, Tom Bauer's CDIs have an output wire for a digital tach, but I'm not sure how (or if) that would work with an analog tach.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok now :D. I won't be the one to test this tach with the spark plug signal. I'm parking the truck soon and using the bike for months. No way I can take the risk to fry something on my bike! :LOL:

The weekend is coming. Last one was dedicated to the snow-blowers, next one will be to try and learn something from this tach. Start the testing.

Oh and @CJ7Pilot: I would not change my CDI but it's nice that they have the option for someone who is changing for a new one.

I was kind of hoping this tach install would be almost simple... but I should know by now that no mod really is.

I'm reading you all with much interest. Thanks for taking the time.

Reactions: CJ7Pilot

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
"Your style seems like you need to just tap into the coil. Honestly before you doing any cutting and splicing to the coil wire, I would unplug the spark plug, jam the input tach signal into it, and crank away and see if you get a reading."

This doesn't seem like a good idea to me o_O (but what do I know?).
I agree. I'd tap the FEED to the COIL, not the hot spark side of the coil. I'd also try one of 4 leads off the CDI, but no clue which actually feeds the coil with the correct signal.
I use one of those small $10 tach/hour meters. I mount it to my front disc brake master cylinder. Fits with a little mod and longer screws. A little difficult to read compared to a dial analog, but works for my needs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Tdubbers,

I thought I'd try this cheap tach from Amazon (link is already dead but it's all over Amazon in different brands). I looked on the forum here for an answer but many links are dead.

View attachment 211881
View attachment 211882

This came with no instructions at all... :unsure:

It is back-lit (red and black wire from my understanding after researching the thing, to splice into lighting wiring: will figure this out).

However, obviously this does not wrap around the spark plug wire. There seems to be a mention (figured from googling the thing) of splicing into the coil wiring to get a RPM reading. That would be the 3 short wires. Total blank here. Where? How?

Anyone has instructions for that kind of tach? Anyone has been there on a Tdub?

This was a 20$ risk. If it's not a match, I'l probably go for a Trail-Tech. I remember that back when I shopped for this, there was only orange available. Quite a mismatch on my 2020 TW... Plus I like the look of hands on a non-tech bike whatever-meter. I thought this was worth a try...

And it seems to look pretty neat in the dark (picture from Google):

View attachment 211883

Any input welcome.
Survey says? How did it turn out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So today I installed my Ricochet skid plate. But I also took the time to take off all that you need to in order to get to the ignition coil.

So this is it, as many of you probably know:

The plan is to connect the yellow and black wire from the tach to the orange one that is on the top right of the coil on this picture. This is, according to Cyclepedia, the negative probe of the coil. And according to some articles on tachs, this is where you should attach a tach wire.

So I tested the long black and red wires from the tach on a 12V battery and it is indeed the back-lighting. It is neat as promised, as on the picture from my initial post. Can't wait to ride it at night if this turns out to work!

I could not quite figure out where I would attach these long wires as well as the short green and black ones. I still have to find an easy to work with wire that is "hot" when the key is in the ON position.

As for where to attach the tach, well I think I'll make myself a RAM mount-type of bracket using Ubolts and install it on the left side of the steering. As such:

The tach is pretty bulky.

One youtuber advised that you should put something to keep water from infiltrating where the wires come out. That's a big hole and there's no rubber device there so the idea is great and I'll do that.

I'm purchasing wires and connectors and other supplies this week in order to finalize this project.

I found these 2 videos this week. I absolutely understand nothing of what is said, but they were interesting to watch as part of the prep for this project.

That's it for now. It'll be a pleasure to post a video of the results if this turns out to be successful :D

·
Registered
556 Posts
So today I installed my Ricochet skid plate. But I also took the time to take off all that you need to in order to get to the ignition coil.

So this is it, as many of you probably know:

View attachment 212133

The plan is to connect the yellow and black wire from the tach to the orange one that is on the top right of the coil on this picture. This is, according to Cyclepedia, the negative probe of the coil. And according to some articles on tachs, this is where you should attach a tach wire.

So I tested the long black and red wires from the tach on a 12V battery and it is indeed the back-lighting. It is neat as promised, as on the picture from my initial post. Can't wait to ride it at night if this turns out to work!

I could not quite figure out where I would attach these long wires as well as the short green and black ones. I still have to find an easy to work with wire that is "hot" when the key is in the ON position.

As for where to attach the tach, well I think I'll make myself a RAM mount-type of bracket using Ubolts and install it on the left side of the steering. As such:

View attachment 212135

The tach is pretty bulky.

One youtuber advised that you should put something to keep water from infiltrating where the wires come out. That's a big hole and there's no rubber device there so the idea is great and I'll do that.

I'm purchasing wires and connectors and other supplies this week in order to finalize this project.

I found these 2 videos this week. I absolutely understand nothing of what is said, but they were interesting to watch as part of the prep for this project.

That's it for now. It'll be a pleasure to post a video of the results if this turns out to be successful :D
Best of luck to you TrailwayGirl . Hope it all works out for you..
I would like to have a tach myself..
Mike from NC

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They say we don't need one but I like to have it :) .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts