TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
If you look at my profile you'll see that I joined this forum just over 5 years ago. Yet I don't own a TW yet. I keep talking myself out of it. Back in 2011, I researched and researched and ultimately decided that it wasn't even ready for a 200cc bike and choose to cut my teeth on owning a scooter instead. I bought a Honda Ruckus and had a great time riding around my neighborhood and foothills around my house. I owned the Ruckus for 2 years before selling it a couple of weeks ago with the intent of upgrading to a TW. I'm convinced that the bike would be perfect for exploring the mountains and canyons around me here in Northern Utah.

The thing is, after reading post after post on this forum trying to learn the do's and dont's of owning a TW, I quickly start feeling overwhelmed with the idea of maintenance. Oil changes, stock tire issues, chain wear/maintenance, carb tuning and upgrades and farkles it all starts to sound like a lot of *WORK!* Add to that the constant vigilance of staying safe, I can't help but think maybe I should just admire from afar by lurking on the forum.

Can anyone confirm that I'm overthinking this and that owning a TW isn't as much of a hassle as it might sound? Or should I plan on devoting large percentage of time (and maybe $) in just working on the bike vs just riding the bike?

What would you guess the ratio for riding/maintaining is? 80/20 like many things or does it trend to 50/50 like some of the forum posts seem to suggest?

Registered
On a forum we just talk stuff to death. Its part of the passion we feel for whatever it is we are riding. You will find the same thing on a Ruckus forum.
I don't think a TW takes any more effort than a Ruckus, but like all things motorcycle, bigger means more potential for injury. (It is hard to think of a TW as bigger) As it comes from the factory it is a solid ride for what you describe.

Super Moderator
If you get a good one there is really very little to do. What you see mostly posted is from people who ride hard, ride a real lot and LOVE to tinker and experiment. If you just want to cruise the trails and secondary roads there is very little maintenance. Get an X-ring chain and there is next to none.

Registered
Postings on forums are a bit like online reviews. Problems get a lot of press, but nobody feels compelled to go and post something up every time that something is going right.

"Well, I went to start my TW today and it cranked right up. Ran fine, rode it to work and back without event." - That's not much of a post now is it? Still, it's more reflective of the day to day experience of owning a TW than all of the "Help!" posts in the tech forum.

You're right that the TW is probably going to require a bit more time and attention than your Ruckus, but you'll also be gaining quite a bit of capability. A lot of that is also a matter of money, a newer TW in good condition is going to cost more than some old beater but it will also require less time for maintenance. Of course, you also do have the tech forum here, where many knowledgeable people will respond to your "Help!" posts. There is nothing wrong with "Help!" posts at all, I have posted a fair number myself!

You might also consider one of the newer fuel-injected XT250s. That removes all of the concerns about carburetors. Carbs are great for people who like to tinker, but they're not so great at mixing air and fuel together compared to FI.

I think the time I spent riding:wrenching on my TW was probably about 95:5. That includes regular stuff like checking tire pressure and lubing the chain.

As far as constant vigilance for staying safe, if you weren't doing that on your ruckus too then you're damn lucky to be alive. Scooters are every bit as dangerous as motorcycles. Staying safe on 2 wheels requires good gear, good technique, and hyper-awareness no matter what you ride.

Registered
You will spend WAY more time doing laundry VS wearing clothes ! ! !
Buy the TW and enjoy life,
There are no do-overs ! ! !
Very little time if you leave stock,
Very little time if you make mods!
Don't worry about the front tire, Millions ride them without issues,
In fact, For regular exploring and poking about, The front tire is stunning,
In life there are few things which reward you with mostly pleasure,
A good dog,
A TW200
and,
Well,
A good dog,
and a good TW200.

Super Moderator
Get a 241 anyway if your going to trail ride. No need on road but I think between the chain and the 241 and possibly a seat concepts seat you will enjoy the bike enough that it will be 99.9% fun, comfortable and safe.

thats my vote on all you should worry about doing to really enjoy yourself.

You will spend WAY more time doing laundry VS wearing clothes ! ! !
Buy the TW and enjoy life,
There are no do-overs ! ! !
Very little time if you leave stock,
Very little time if you make mods!
Don't worry about the front tire, Millions ride them without issues,
In fact, For regular exploring and poking about, The front tire is stunning,
In life there are few things which reward you with mostly pleasure,
A good dog,
A TW200
and,
Well,
A good dog,
and a good TW200.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome advice from each of you. Thanks for the encouragement. Been watching the classified listings for a good one that is near me. Always surprised at how quickly they go. When they are in good condition they only last a few days on the market. Like I said, I sold a couple of things recently so I'd have some more play money. Now I have cash in hand to strike quickly and get a nice deal. I'm looking toward something newer than '05 ( I really like the black ones) Not sure I can justify the even newer ones, as they seem to be running pretty pricey around here. I'll post when I finally pull the trigger!

Registered
The fact they go so quickly says it all ..
Look and be patient.. Took me 2 years to find my
TW...mist more bikes by 1 day than you would think possible.. but well worth the wait.. My 98 had just over 400 miles on it ...The bike had sat its whole life... l am by no means very good with fixing things...usually the other way around.. with help like you have on here it simple just don't ask what kind of oil or tire to use.. as for the TW best thing I've bought myself...99.8 % ride with no worries about not making it home.. it would be 100 % but you do have to put fuel in about 130 miles or so depending how you ride.GET ONE. Bet you don't sell it right away

Registered
99% ride the bike; 1% work on the bike.

Just get one. But get a good one; not a junker.
I bought a junker...but having a blast fixing it up, looking for parts, searching for deals and learning how to work on it from the great people on this forum. I will almost know all the ins and outs of the bike and learn to repair almost anything...in due time though.

Registered
Mostly ride mine but when I do work on it, I enjoy that also. I find it enjoyable maintaining any motor vehicle. I plan the normal maint. around the weather. Rainy weekend, do the maint., sunny weekend, ride the bike, even if I go over a few miles on the oil change.

Registered
Buy the TW200.
1) You'll be just as safe on the TW as you were on the Ruckus - more so IMHO, because cars respect motorcycles more than scooters. :rolleyes:
2) Don't sweat the maintenance. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, take it to a shop. Then pick 1 thing to learn how to do each time it comes up. The TW is a very forgiving bike that is very inexpensive and easy to maintain.
3) Only go as fast as you're comfortable going. The TW loves slow. It's all good.
4) Buy the bike. You'll have fun, learn stuff, and be safer.
HAVE FUN! :D

Registered
Way, way over thinking. The TW is super friendly. As they said get the damn thing and enjoy. Once you have take 30 days off reading the forum, once you have ridden for thirty days you can come back and it will all make sense. This is one fine bike to enjoy!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
So in my defense, I didn't actually read the forum for the entire 5 years. :D I looked quite seriously back then before going with the ruckus. It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I dove back into researching.

Happy to say that thanks to all of your encouragement I jumped in and bought an '06 for a what I thought was a fair price.

I took it out for a quick run on some jeep roads near my house tonight and it was great! I may be the first to say this but it had way more power and speed than I expected. Riding a 50cc scooter will really lower expectations in that area :)

As they say, pics or it didn't happen so here it is

Thanks for all of the help tw200forum!

IMG_20160617_204623.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
I know right!?! I may have given it too much boost in the photo editor but it is a really clean bike. It was a real selling point. I wasn't sure about the blue color but I like it more and more by the minute.

I need to get it registered and get some more practice riding it but I'm sure it will get dirty soon enough.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts