4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
I've been looking for a newer bike and was interested in looking at a Suzuki DR 650, a Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom and a Kawasaki KLR 650. I was able to look at and sit on a KLR the other day. Too high! Even with the lowering links available, I think it would be too high for me. So, scratch off the KLR from the list. Anyone know if the DR is lower?

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
I've been looking for a newer bike and was interested in looking at a Suzuki DR 650, a Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom and a Kawasaki KLR 650. I was able to look at and sit on a KLR the other day. Too high! Even with the lowering links available, I think it would be too high for me. So, scratch off the KLR from the list. Anyone know if the DR is lower?
I could get my tip toes down while seated on a DR 650. Relatively narrow seat may have helped the cause and I know you can lower that one a bit too. I will most likely purchase the CB 500X this spring for those days where I want to ride a bit further from home. I have done 300-400 mile days on the TW but that was not an enjoyable experience.

Tom

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I've got 29" legs and with a set of lowering links I can sit flat footed on my 08 KLR.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Hey Tommy, the DR650 has a factory lowering option. IIRC the factory-lowered seat height is about 33.5 inches or so. And if you're not really concerned about comfort, the Suzuki gel seat will bring it down another inch.

P.S. Choose the DR! And check out the DR650 forum on advrider - lots of great info there. That bike has been at or near the top of my wish list for years now. Wish I'd bought one instead of that disaster of a KLX!

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Thanks KJ! I'm just looking and thinking at this point, plus I have to find a buyer for my Harley. I just can't do forward controls anymore. I need all the nice soft floating suspension I can get. Because of a bulged disc, I have to be able to lift myself up off the seat a little when going over bumps. I want to be able to do some freeway miles on it and take a trip if wanted. How's the vibration on them I wonder? Better than the KLR?

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
DR is a better dirt bike and the KLR is a better street bike. Both can be modded into what ever you want but deciding on your primary use will save you time and money. The lowering links came from Eagle Mike and bring the seat down about 1 1/2 inches. I also raised the fork tube about the same amount. Even with bad knees I can still swing a leg over the seat.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
I really like the looks of the DR better. The KLR seemed like a big pig and so heavy. What about the 650 V-Strom? I really don't plan on going off road with any bike but the TW so I can put my feet down and putt along. Whatever I select will be the road bike in the stable. I need comfort and standard controls.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts