TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hate this carb! Seems every single time I go to ride it, I have to take the pilot jet out and either replace it or (if I'm lucky) clean it in my ultrasonic cleaner. Maybe if I rode it more often this wouldn't happen, but I doubt it. When I park it, I shut the petcock and let it idle until it stalls. So I don't think it's getting varnished up.
As background;
I have 2 shims on the needle, main is 130, pilot is 34. When working, this bike will start right up without choke down to 40 degrees and be ready to ride within a minute.
When the pilot jet acts up, it won't start unless full choke and idle won't adjust. Stalls taking off unless warmed up and even then there's a lean backfire upon throttle chop.

Anyways, gotta order me a few more pilot jets. I'm currently using #34 but stock is #31. Someone in an older thread pointed out that these should work;

Great price if they do, but the thread I found this on, the author never posted how they ended up working. Anyone know for sure they work on the late model TW's? Notice that the smallest size is #35 as well. Not a big deal I suppose. A little rich on idle circuit shouldn't hurt?

BTW, they also sell the main jets;

The price is incredible at $10.50 for 12 of the pilot jets and $10.90 for 12 of the main jets.

EDIT
I placed the order; $21.40 includes shipping. Estimated delivery 30 days, but who knows with China these days.

12 pilot jets at #35 (smallest they list)

4 each of main jets at #130, 128 and 126. I got the smaller ones because I ride anywhere from sea level to over 7,000'. The 130 works at all levels, but I get more miles out of the leaner jets at altitude. (Same with pilot; better mileage with the smaller 31 stock jet, but takes long warm-ups and there's a dead spot in the throttle slightly off idle until the needle jet circuit picks up that is much less with the 34 pilot)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Ditto on the fuel filter and also....why do you run the carb-bowl empty? I suspect that may be part of the problem...using regular fuel (with ethanol) and running "it until it stalls" doesn't remove ALL of the fuel, and that is where the problems begin. The slightest bit of e-gas left behind, will evaporate and leave all sorts of clinkers behind. There are enough stories of the evils of ethanol...I had the carb on my outboard plug up after a few seasons of using E-fuel.
I still use it if I'm going to be at a lake for a few days...but the last gasoline it sees before the next layup, is a tankful of E-FREE...for the last day or so....flush all that ethanol crap out of its system!

Maybe add a bit of seafoam to each tank...a good preventive measure...but getting rid of ethanol fuel would help immensely.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Regular use of a couple of ounces of Seafoam works pretty well for bikes that don't get used all the time.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what muffler are you using?
Stock muffler and the XT225 stainless steel pipe leading to it.
The jetting I have works. I've had it since 2015 I think. It's just that the pilot jet gets something into it and quits working right, causing me to tear the carb down and clean or replace it. It's much easier to replace than clean, hence the order for a dozen of them for $10. I've gone through 4 already. Each time I swap it out, the carb works great until it sits for a few weeks. Then back to same-o problem. I've flushed the tank, added filters, etc, so I don't know what's causing it to clog. Most all miles are street riding as well; 50 mile treks through the wine country or fishing trips with little off pavement drives.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ditto on the fuel filter and also....why do you run the carb-bowl empty? I suspect that may be part of the problem...using regular fuel (with ethanol) and running "it until it stalls" doesn't remove ALL of the fuel, and that is where the problems begin. The slightest bit of e-gas left behind, will evaporate and leave all sorts of clinkers behind. There are enough stories of the evils of ethanol...I had the carb on my outboard plug up after a few seasons of using E-fuel.
I still use it if I'm going to be at a lake for a few days...but the last gasoline it sees before the next layup, is a tankful of E-FREE...for the last day or so....flush all that ethanol crap out of its system!

Maybe add a bit of seafoam to each tank...a good preventive measure...but getting rid of ethanol fuel would help immensely.
I'm in California. It's impossible to find on-road fuel that is ethanol free. I always add seafoam and I'll drain the tank to my lawn mower after a week or so. (depends on how often the lawn needs mowing) So fresh gas every trip with a splash of seafoam.

Maybe I should drain the carb through the drain screw instead of running the carb dry. But on every other motor I have around the house; mower, power washer, generators, etc. I don't have this problem at all and I leave the fuel in those without running dry sometimes all winter long and with zero problems upon start up. Just choke, pull the rope until it sputters, choke off and they start. This TW200 though, it's got such a tiny pilot jet evidently my filters and process isn't doing the trick. Way too sensitive!

I have a compactor that sat out all winter with gas in the tank. Went to start it and it would try, but not idle. I pulled the carb and the bowl was fully gunked up with sludge. Took it off, flushed with carb spray and put it back on without disassembly to the carb. Started within a few pulls and now starts on the first pull every time. So why all the drama with the TW200 carb? I've owned dozens of bikes and never had anything close to this problem with any of their carbs.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Regular use of a couple of ounces of Seafoam works pretty well for bikes that don't get used all the time.
Thanks! Yes, I use seafoam with each tank. I even drain the tank if the bike sits a few weeks and use the gas in the mower.
I'm pulling the tank tomorrow and gonna check for any rust, but not expecting any. Besides, the filter on the petcock and the in-line I added should have caught any particulates.
With a fresh cleaned or new replacement pilot jet, the bike returns to it's perfect start capability and no lean backfire pop on throttle chop. Until the next time.

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
I have used those jet on older style carburetors. They have worked very well for me. I have never tried them on the newer style carburetor. On the older carb I am using #40 pilot and # 112 main jet.

I gave some jets to friends having troubles with their bikes and these jets worked well for them too. Good luck. Report back how they work for you.

I have found, for me, removing the pilot jet, main jet, needle jet (thing the main jet screws into), idle mixture screw and maybe something else and blowing out the carb and float bowl with compressed air from a real compressor makes a world of difference. The spray can wash even with something like Chemtool isn't enough. The ultrasonic cleaner isn't enough. That final blast of air seem to work magic. As I stated earlier, this worked for me.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
TW in BC might have hit the mark when he said not to run the bike till it quits. On my bike I never did that at all, just shut the petcock and I never had a problem with a gunked up carb, ever. I would use a dash of Seafoam every 3 tanks or so if I was regularly riding it and always used non-E gas. Winter storage/fresh full tank of non-E gas filled to the top with a strong dose of Seafoam.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. Checked each that is within 50 miles of me and these are race gases, mostly VP. $70 for 5 gallons. Cheapest is $9 a gallon. If that's what it takes for my bike to not trash the pilot jet, I think I'd rather just trade off for another bike.
Another option are the Chinese carbs I've read about here available on eBay. I hate to admit defeat, but I either come up with a long term solution or I move on from this bike. I want to ride it, not pull the carb and then ride it each time. I know the factory pilot jets are not doing the job, hope these cheap Chinese ones do.
Got an e-mail last night, they are shipped. Slow boat from China, but still, on their way!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TW in BC might have hit the mark when he said not to run the bike till it quits. On my bike I never did that at all, just shut the petcock and I never had a problem with a gunked up carb, ever. I would use a dash of Seafoam every 3 tanks or so if I was regularly riding it and always used non-E gas. Winter storage/fresh full tank of non-E gas filled to the top with a strong dose of Seafoam.
Running dry was a last ditch effort. I thought maybe I wasn't being a good owner, practicing good procedure to just ride it and park it. It didn't use to do this for the first few years I owned it, then for the past few it does. I'm just so bummed to discover when I want to go for a ride this problem. Been avoiding riding because of it. Even to the point I hook up my trailer to my wife's car so she can rescue me if it happens on the road. I dare not take an actual trail ride and have this happen.
It was Fred that convinced me it was the pilot. Didn't believe him because I know how to clean a carb and check for at least light though this jet. He said to swap it anyways, dang if that didn't fix it. I've had to do that 3 times now since and each time the symptoms are the same and each time it fixes the problem; bad pilot jet. One only lasted 3 months between changes. I think I posted here that I was just going to sell this bike, I was so discouraged with this carb and how hard it is to dig down to get to the jet in order to swap it. If this was a woman, I'd have kicked her to the curb a long time ago. Ha! Too much drama. Bikes are supposed to be the relief from female drama; time to just go for a ride rather than stand toe-to-toe and argue, as it were. And in this pandemic, not much anyone can do for recreation, so riding was one thing I could, but not if it works me up this much each time I want to take it for a spin.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Seafoam.
Seafoam.
Seafoam.

I cannot possibly ride everything in the stable that often. Everything has Seafoam and a bit of Stabil in it.
Haven't been I to any carb more than once.
My bikes just start right up after opening the gas.
I also use lithium Iron batteries exclusively in all of the rider bikes.

No issues.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Thanks. Checked each that is within 50 miles of me and these are race gases, mostly VP. $70 for 5 gallons. Cheapest is $9 a gallon. If that's what it takes for my bike to not trash the pilot jet, I think I'd rather just trade off for another bike.
Another option are the Chinese carbs I've read about here available on eBay. I hate to admit defeat, but I either come up with a long term solution or I move on from this bike. I want to ride it, not pull the carb and then ride it each time. I know the factory pilot jets are not doing the job, hope these cheap Chinese ones do.
Got an e-mail last night, they are shipped. Slow boat from China, but still, on their way!
If the Jets are getting clogged, the issue is upstream. The clogging media has to come from somewhere...

The use of a different jet manufacturer, if the Jets are the same physical size, should have no bearing on a clogging issue. I would look to the tank first, then possibly something degrading inside the hoses or perhaps the filter itself.

Hope you find the issue.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Seafoam.
Seafoam.
Seafoam.

I cannot possibly ride everything in the stable that often. Everything has Seafoam and a bit of Stabil in it.
Haven't been I to any carb more than once.
My bikes just start right up after opening the gas.
I also use lithium Iron batteries exclusively in all of the rider bikes.

No issues.

I kinda think Seafoam is what got me into trouble in the first place. I had coated the inside of the tank with a product called Dragon's Blood. It seals the metal from rusting. I've used it on several other bikes with good success. However, on this bike I knew I wasn't going to be riding it for a few months over winter and added some Seafoam. Next spring the problem started. I drained the tank and the gas was red. The Seafoam had dissolved the Dragons Blood coating! I didn't actually think this would clog a jet since it dissolved the coating and only stained the gas, not the inside of the carb or anything, but I finished the job of removing any residual Dragons Blood from the tank and moved on. Nope. Still have the problem.
I'll continue to use Seafoam of course, but so far, It's not improved the situation.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If the Jets are getting clogged, the issue is upstream. The clogging media has to come from somewhere...

The use of a different jet manufacturer, if the Jets are the same physical size, should have no bearing on a clogging issue. I would look to the tank first, then possibly something degrading inside the hoses or perhaps the filter itself.

Hope you find the issue.

I know! Right? It's not particle clogging, I can see the carb is clean, the jet can shine light through that tiny hole, ultra sonic cleaner, blow air through, etc. But so far only changing the jet out solves the issue.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
When you say that replacing the pilot jet solves the problem...are you certain that the jet is clogged? Can you actually see debris in it? Does clearing it solve the problem (until the next time)?
What I'm getting at is that maybe it's the act of opening up the carb each time, that clears whatever the problem is....

Another issue might be that "Dragon's Blood" stuff....if it's a tank coating and it gets dissolved by Seafoam...then there are probably thousands more little fragments, just waiting to flake/peel off and clog your carb. Or maybe it stays in suspension in the gas, until you run the bowl dry, whereon it deposits when the gas evaporates.

If you can get your hands on one, maybe try a new tank for a few days and see if the problem goes away....?
Are your carb vent hoses clear?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts